Notices

I'm done...but scared

Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm done...but scared

I don't know a lot about AA, but I know it's a good tool for getting clean. But I'm scared of walking into a meeting. Philadelphia is a big city, but being gay makes it smaller. I know I'll run into friends I don't want to see, friends I don't want to see in a meeting.

At the same time, I like the idea of a gay AA because they'll be familiar with the community and what I'm going through. I tried to kick this on my own and I can't, but now I feel like I have nowhere to turn for help.

Are there any good groups in Philadelphia, AA or otherwise, meetups, whatever? Somewhere I can hang out until 10 or 11 and just chill? Whatever happened to late night coffee shops? I just want to meet some friends who know how to hangout without booze.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i am in the same boat. Gay, in a big city , looking for some friends that don't drink. I've had similar reservations about being identified and labeled when i go to meetings. This may sound obvious or trite, but keep in mind that whomever you may sees in the meetings probably have very similar insecurities to the ones you articulated in your post. Hopefully they will understand and hold the confidence that AA requires. And maybe you will even make a few new, unexpected friends in Phily keep us posted and good luck!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie88 View Post
i am in the same boat. Gay, in a big city , looking for some friends that don't drink. I've had similar reservations about being identified and labeled when i go to meetings. This may sound obvious or trite, but keep in mind that whomever you may sees in the meetings probably have very similar insecurities to the ones you articulated in your post. Hopefully they will understand and hold the confidence that AA requires. And maybe you will even make a few new, unexpected friends in Phily keep us posted and good luck!
Thanks. I guess I'm skeptical. I'm gay, totally out, but I've never quite fit in with the gay community. Part of me wants to go to the gay AA meetings because they'll understand where I'm coming from, but part of wants to avoid it because I know how catty they can be. The larger part of me is afraid of AA in general just because walking in the door is so terrifying.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Philly - i do understand. i don't fit in with the lesbian community at all. I am a pretty, straight looking 28 year old. I also sometimes feel terrified to walk into AA meetings because i feel as soon ask walk into the room I have a lot of assumptions cast on me. There is also the issue of not really trusting other addicts because of what I've witnessed, which i just posted about a few mins ago.

All of the things above haven't stopped me from reaching out because i feel like the worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and i don't go back. I truly believe that there is something to be gained from AA, but i also completely understand the anxiety of walking through the door alone for the first time. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by philly76 View Post
The larger part of me is afraid of AA in general just because walking in the door is so terrifying.
I'm sure many others can comment on this point better than I can. I didn't go to AA, but I can tell you about first CR (Celebrate Recovery, Christianity based 12 step program) meeting. I was indeed terrified. But, people were super nice and I wasn't forced to do or say anything. You can always, 'pass' or say 'i'll just listen today' No pressure. About the fear about gay community being small. Let me tell you, I had same concern about CR as Christian community is small and they are I'm sure just as chatty. (and sometimes quite judgmental) These groups, anonymity is mantra #1. I'm not saying that it's always upheld, they are made of imperfect human beings after all, but, anonymity is what makes these groups thrive and be successful.

I sound like an expert, but I've only been to two meetings. (for full disclosure.. )
Old 08-29-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie88 View Post
Hey Philly - i do understand. i don't fit in with the lesbian community at all. I am a pretty, straight looking 28 year old. I also sometimes feel terrified to walk into AA meetings because i feel as soon ask walk into the room I have a lot of assumptions cast on me. There is also the issue of not really trusting other addicts because of what I've witnessed, which i just posted about a few mins ago.

All of the things above haven't stopped me from reaching out because i feel like the worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and i don't go back. I truly believe that there is something to be gained from AA, but i also completely understand the anxiety of walking through the door alone for the first time. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk!
This really helps so much. I kinda wish someone was in Philly to hold my hand walking into the first meeting. I really want to do it. I'm just the kind of guy who goes into things either all in, or not at all. And friends have always been my crutch for the middle ground. Ironically, none of them I've talked to about this seem to want to help. And they shouldn't, especially if they don't have problems of their own.

I have this guy in my head I so want to be, and know I can be. At times I find it, but other times I fail. It's really hard not having people who get it. I mean I really appreciate the support on this site, don't get me wrong, but I need three dimensional advocates too. I just need to nut up and walk into that building one night.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pakman View Post
I'm sure many others can comment on this point better than I can. I didn't go to AA, but I can tell you about first CR (Celebrate Recovery, Christianity based 12 step program) meeting. I was indeed terrified. But, people were super nice and I wasn't forced to do or say anything. You can always, 'pass' or say 'i'll just listen today' No pressure. About the fear about gay community being small. Let me tell you, I had same concern about CR as Christian community is small and they are I'm sure just as chatty. (and sometimes quite judgmental) These groups, anonymity is mantra #1. I'm not saying that it's always upheld, they are made of imperfect human beings after all, but, anonymity is what makes these groups thrive and be successful.

I sound like an expert, but I've only been to two meetings. (for full disclosure.. )
I gotta say, a Christian validating a gay man's concerns really warms my heart. Thank you so, so much for replying.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

philly,

i don't know what "the gay community" is; it's fiction or myth, far as i'm concerned.
there is no one community this way.

i've gone to a few LGTBQ meetings and felt more at home in one sense, not so obviously out-of-place, but that's surface, in a way. when it comes to alcoholism, i mean.

in a big city like yours, there are likely SMART meetings, too, and possibly LifeRing.

i was terrified to go to my first meeting, and i was only going to go ONE TIME. it was important to me to do it once; i needed to do this as a more "official" acknowledgment to myself of what i was dealing with.

after the nerve-wrecking/wracking few days before, the actual meeting was wonderful. i couldn't wait til the next one! i went to a weekly LR meeting for about two years.

it all gets easier with time and the actual doing.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
philly,

i don't know what "the gay community" is; it's fiction or myth, far as i'm concerned.
there is no one community this way.

i've gone to a few LGTBQ meetings and felt more at home in one sense, not so obviously out-of-place, but that's surface, in a way. when it comes to alcoholism, i mean.

in a big city like yours, there are likely SMART meetings, too, and possibly LifeRing.

i was terrified to go to my first meeting, and i was only going to go ONE TIME. it was important to me to do it once; i needed to do this as a more "official" acknowledgment to myself of what i was dealing with.

after the nerve-wrecking/wracking few days before, the actual meeting was wonderful. i couldn't wait til the next one! i went to a weekly LR meeting for about two years.

it all gets easier with time and the actual doing.

I know, I know. I just have to work up the nerve to walk into one.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just so you know I've actually heard a gay man's chair before and the guy was heartwarming funny and really confident in his sobriety I think he was 7/8 years sober

Thing is when he said he was gay I didn't bat a eyelid as I all I saw was a fellow human being telling his story and it was a really good chair I'm not just saying that

Wishing you all the luck in the world and keep up the good work

PS in the UK there are gay/lesbian meetings are there none in philly ? Or the US ? Maybe contact aa by phone and ask ?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am in Philly (and also happen to be gay too...well, lesbian)...and there are def gay/lesbian meetings in the area. But I know there are also mixed meetings as well (meaning both gays and straights attend in "harmony" ). There is a Sunday morning meeting in the Fairmont section that seems to have a big mix of folks (young/old/gay straight/men/ women). I have gotten into the habit of attending mostly women's meetings lately--but they include both straight and gay women. Not sure if the men's only meetings are similar. I know the William Way center has some meetings there for LGBT folks.

Feel free to PM me if you would like. It is a big city....but the great part is if you don't like a particular meeting, you can always try another.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I posted a link in your other thread but wanted to encourage you here as well. I was worried about the catty stuff too and it was not that way at all. Most folks in AA are working of themselves and in doing so, encourage others. There are those few who haven't quite reached it but the majority are welcoming and warm.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Just sent you a PM on Philly meetings.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

You guys are amazing !!!! I love this site feels like a shooting star in the sky moment

Love sober recovery !!