Notices

It's been a year . . .

Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been a year . . .

I came to the forum a year ago, almost to the day. At the time my husband had just been arrested for a DUI and I was scared, depressed, and anxious. Well, the legal part is over. He was able to plead to a reduced charge and had the arrest expunged from his record. He has a restricted license, but he is still able to drive, and will get his full license back in a few months. Our car insurance increased by about $50 a month. And, thankfully, his employer never found out, so he was able to keep his job.

One of the things that he was required to do was take an alcohol awareness class. At first he was pretty dismissive about the whole thing, but after a few of the classes he became really concerned. He said he learned that we both are alcoholics and that the only way to deal with that was to abstain. If not, we stand to lose so many things, our health being probably the most prevalent. I don't even want to think too deeply about how this has affected our kids. It tears me up with guilt.

I knew this before he even told me. I had quit last year for a few weeks and felt great, but then I convinced myself (several times) that I could moderate. I can't moderate. I know that deep down. So we are both on day one. I'm doing the one day at a time approach because I can't look that ahead without feeling like I'm losing something. I am looking at it as a breakup with a toxic friend, so I'm sure I'll be anxious and sad for a while, but I am determined to change my life.

Just wanted to share this with you all. Everyone was great last year and gave me some really good advice. I feel like I need to have some control over my life again without alcohol getting in the way.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One day at a time is a great way forward, keep it simple, make it to bedtime without a drink and tick off another day of Sobriety!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congrats on day1. I like what you said about looking at it like a breakup with a toxic friend. It helped me to think I was escaping instead of giving something up.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The only thing your giving up is misery and pain. You can do this. Life is better without alcohol. Its poison. Alcohol is not ur friend. It wants to kill you. Please do not be fooled by the illusion of drinking. When your drinking your killing your body and life one day at a time. Alcoholism won't stop till you're dead. Sorry to be so direct celticgirl. Just give this crap up. Like I said, you can do this.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're both working on your recovery.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

WOW thank you really good post congratulations on day 1

You can do it

PS is the Celtic in ur user name referring to Celtic fc ?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations
Old 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

I am looking at it as a breakup with a toxic friend,
Yeah i came short of having a funeral and burying the case of beer and saying a few words in a nice eulogy and shedding some tears that my best bad friend was dead and gone. I didnt actually do this but I really felt like it. felt like my best friend had passed away accept this bed friend wasnt so great. it was like loosing a limb or something.

that feeling passes tho and brighter days are ahead. hang in there and 1 day at a time really is the only way.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Soberwolf, the Celtic just refers to my Irish background. The closest thing I've come to any kind of football club is watching my son play soccer when he was in middle school
Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At least now you know I'll be praying for you.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am proud of you. We all started with day one. I believe if you want it bad enough you can have it. IT being sober and feeling good about yourself. We are all here for you. I am glad you are back.