Notices

32 days

Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

32 days

Hey everyone!

I don't post much here, but I do lurk and read threads. lol Well, after today, I will be 32 days without alcohol, after a few false starts in the last 6 or 7 months. I think this might be the longest I've not had any alcohol in at least 2 or 3 years, probably even longer than that. My drinking pattern was quite insidious. What was drinking on weekends 8 years ago turning into 6-9 beers every other night or so 5 years ago, and that slowly amped up to at least a pint of vodka per night. I quit 32 days ago (July 20th). Had some nasty withdraw, mostly felt like my stomach was doing flips. Had some headaches and sweats for a few days too. I've been taking Campral which I think has helped calm cravings. I still get them, but I feel I can handle them better.

I must say, I have never felt so much better, both physically and mentally! Getting good sleep and waking not hungover...man, I never thought I could be so grateful for that! I feel more confident overall (I wouldn't have the self-esteem to post this sort of personal stuff to strangers on the Internet). I don't know if I've lost weight or its just my perception, but I look thinner and healther in mirrors. I think my alcohol use indirectly made me lose some hair off my scalp by drying my scalp too much. Next goal is to intake more water and less caffeine.

Also, I went out a pair of times in the last month with friends I had used to drink heavily with. We have other interests in common, so forgoing drinking wasn't odd and didn't feel weird. I was able to celebrate my buddy's birthday and play games and not drink...it was quite fun!

I'm so glad I made this decision. Sometimes I hear that voice saying maybe after a few months without it, to test and see how it goes with alcohol, but I am learning more and more not to trust that voice. I'm hoping to quit smoking and cut my caffeine intakes next (I find smoking isn't as fun or enjoyable when I'm not drinking).

Anyway, I plan to continue to visit SR to see how people are doing and read advice about how to handle things as they arise. I've certainly learned a lot over the past 32 days, especially about myself.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, keep posting and congrats on the 32 days!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

32 Days is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting a month in the books cScott

Keep it going.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time CScott

D
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

32 days - that's wonderful news. Keep it going, and stay with us.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CScott View Post

I must say, I have never felt so much better, both physically and mentally! Getting good sleep and waking not hungover...man, I never thought I could be so grateful for that! .................................................. .................................................. ........
I'm so glad I made this decision. Sometimes I hear that voice saying maybe after a few months without it, to test and see how it goes with alcohol, but I am learning more and more not to trust that voice.
Great post!
I can certainly relate. Quality sleep, no hangover,
Oh and that wretched lying voice popping up.
In any event, congratulations on 32!