Notices

How to increase blood cell count

Old 08-17-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to increase blood cell count

Do you know of foods that help increase red and white blood cells. i had read green tea but then also read that could be hardful on the liver. I have green tea extract pills. For red blood cells, I heard iron is good which is in meat and also have an iron supplement.

And please spare me the part on giving medical advice. I am just asking what you have heard or been told. I don't even know if i have a low blood cell count but if i get just a small wound it takes forever to heal and sometimes doesn't heal completely. I am going in for blood work in hopefully 2-3 weeks but would like to do my best to make sure it all checks out. I am also getting fatigued easily working out and during sex. Like I just want it to end. LOL.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just a word of caution, increasing white/red blood cell counts when it is not necessary can also cause complications!!

Waiting for your test results is the best way forward, as if everything is fine, then taking unnecessary supplements etc is not a great approach!!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OK, I have alot of vitamins I take.

Currently they are, B-1( Thiamine), B complex which has all B vitamins, multi vitamin, vitamin C and vitamin E, iron, zinc, selenium, pancratic enzymes to aid in digestion, fish oil, garlic and parsley, milk thistle, green tea extract, and calcium, magnesium, zinc pill.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

. . . and are these recommended by your Dr?

Vitamins and supplements are only useful if they are actually required and needed by the body due to a lack of them, as I mentioned the results from your Dr will tell whether you are short or needing anything extra above and beyond your diet!!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
gluelicker.

Are you otherwise healthy? How long have you been in recovery? I recommend B vitamins for energy including B1 separately, and vitamin k for clotting problems. Make sure you're up on you're magnesium and potassium as well.

Green tea pills aren't recommended over green tea. I would also wait for the blood test for iron results, because if you don't lack iron it can give you headaches.

Make sure a healthy, low fat and high protein diet is in order.

These are only suggestions that worked for me.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I personally will eat lots of dark greens. Seems kale, spinach, collards, etc are good for everything under the sun.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go for health like nature intended

My favorite online Doc uploaded a powerful video everyone who cares at all about getting to Health with a capital "H" should watch and take heed.

(Disregard the title, it's for everyone.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKr4YwGxG3w

. . . high protein diet is in order.
Uh, no, it's not.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kllme,

taking iron when you're not low on hemoglobin or ferritin can be very dangerous, and so you need the tests first, before doing all this supplementing.

and no point, IMO, to try and make tests "work out" because then you don't have a picture of where you're really at; you then only get a snapshot that you've just artificially tweaked.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Purpleknight is right. The supplement industry is huge and mostly produce crap nobody actually needs. You only need a vitamin supplement if you have a deficiency. Most of the time it's either Iron or Vitamin D. The blood analysis will pick it up. Until then, don't waste your money on supplements which will do nothing.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started taking the vitamins as it said in get sober through nurtrition book. I started to feel better. But I have a knack for abusing myself. I will starve myself just to do it. I started having mild symptons of neuropathy hence the B 1 I added. Alot of these vitamins I know are kind of a waste because most are water soluble so you end up peeing them out anyway.

But yeah I know iron and selenium are def. 2 things I need to be careful with because too much can cause problems. I am going to start drinking the actual green tea though.

The reason I don't want to get blood tests until I think things are better is because Dr's will just assume because you are an addict they wont prescribe the good drugs that actual work, they will prescribe the BS drugs that don't do anything. Also, I had blood tests in mid April and an MRI, everything was fine only bilirubin was high. But I have developed different symptoms since then. What is crazy if I just take vitamins and dont drink for 3 days, they all nearly go away except for a pooch in the belly; I am not obese but just have the pooch
Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What the hell is a "pooch in the belly"? If you can go days without drinking then you probably don't have much of a physical addiction, which is good.

The doc will prescribe anti depressants (SSRIs and SNRIs) without a second thought because they are not drugs of abuse, so don't worry about that.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

And please spare me the part on giving medical advice. I am just asking what you have heard or been told. I don't even know if i have a low blood cell count but if i get just a small wound it takes forever to heal and sometimes doesn't heal completely. I am going in for blood work in hopefully 2-3 weeks but would like to do my best to make sure it all checks out. I am also getting fatigued easily working out and during sex. Like I just want it to end. LOL.
This is our medical rule.

Here is the SR Rule in full....I've bolded some bits for emphasis

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
The rules are for everyone who wants to be a member here and they apply to everyone - even me

I think you'd be best seeing a Dr for a professional opinion.

Thread closed.

Dee
SR