Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Can you stop drinking if you still like to drink?

Notices

Can you stop drinking if you still like to drink?

Old 08-17-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by rhomley View Post
help, i have no idea how to post this right now, i am over 26 years sober, i drank today over three bottles of wine, i a freaking out, have no idea what to do...help...what should i do.....
Hi Rhomley I think like others have said the important thing is to not panic.

Do you have a support network like AA or somethign similar - now would be a good time to use it I think?

If not, use us...read and post as much as you need to

Stick to the basics - get rid of any alcohol and commit to a day one - 'I will not drink, just for today'

You made a mistake...but all is NOT lost - you can contain the damage, stop the rot, and get back to where you want to be

D
Old 08-17-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yes, we can stop even if we still like drinking. We can even stop even if we need to drink. We can even stop if we HAVE TO drink. The change which comes, but only once we stop, is that we don't like it, we don't need it , and we don't HAVE TO DRINK.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"....when I really need to. "
that defines bottom to some people. How far do you want to go before you finally say when?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I love drinking. I'm an alcoholic.

Drinking doesn't love me. I'm an alcoholic.

I don't regret 90% of my time drinking. It was joyous, free, and social.

10% of my drinking history involves blacking out, having sex with strangers, saying unkind things to folks I love, and drunk texting people I respect.

I can't live with the 10%.

I love drinking. I'm an alcoholic.

I love myself when I don't drink. That is much more precious to me.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Oh yeah, you can quit while you still like it. I did and yes, I do miss it sometimes, but it's not worth it. I'm glad I'm sober...and this might be horrible to say, but when I hear drinking stories from active alcoholics, I'm glad that's not me anymore.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

My sponser says if you want to drink then by all means drink but why do you want to drink

To get drunk like the taste the feeling it gives etc except that it isn't going well and will get worse moderating is a myth of alcoholics that just arnt ready yet I was one I done things like experiments

Or things like I overdone it again became frequent quickly and out of nowhere and no one wants that for you

Know that you can stop but you either stop now or find out later who knows you might be alright

Is it worth risking if the warning signs are getting more frequent

I wish you the best good luck
Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I still liked the ritual of drinking: pouring it and going out to the porch as I drank myself into oblivion every night. Near the end the only time I felt happy, calm, and content was when I was drunk. I felt panicked all day and felt like I would normalize after about four drinks. I wondered how anybody could possibly be happy sober.

How could I sit on the porch and talk to someone, while sober, and possibly be happy?
How would I relax? How would I laugh? How would I say funny things? I felt that I was more enjoyable to be around, more funny and jovial when drunk. I've been sober for over 50 days and I am still waiting to feel truly jovial and silly.

It wasn't the drinking that I couldn't handle. I simply could not take the hangovers anymore. The daily withdrawal. My tolerance had gotten so incredibly high that 15 standard units of alcohol barely me drunk in the end. I wondered if there would come a time when I would drink a whole fifth everyday. I was getting darn close. I monitored my intake like a statistician in mL to make sure I always had enough. My preferred amount every night was 600 mL of vodka. I couldn't go any further even though I thought I enjoyed drinking. Can you imagine a normal person enjoying that much alcohol every night? Still baffles me.

Roger Ebert, a recovering alcoholic, said that if it weren't for the hangovers he probably never would have stopped drinking.

What it takes is to want to be sober more than you want to drink. For me, the scales tipped in June.

51 percent of me wanted to be sober and 49 percent wanted to drink that night. I didn't drink that night and have not since.

Yes. We can quit drinking even if some part of us still enjoyed it.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I still liked the ritual of drinking: pouring it and going out to the porch as I drank myself into oblivion every night. Near the end the only time I felt happy, calm, and content was when I was drunk. I felt panicked all day and felt like I would normalize after about four drinks. I wondered how anybody could possibly be happy sober.

How could I sit on the porch and talk to someone, while sober, and possibly be happy?
How would I relax? How would I laugh? How would I say funny things? I felt that I was more enjoyable to be around, more funny and jovial when drunk. I've been sober for over 50 days and I am still waiting to feel truly jovial and silly.

It wasn't the drinking that I couldn't handle. I simply could not take the hangovers anymore. The daily withdrawal. My tolerance had gotten so incredibly high that 15 standard units of alcohol barely me drunk in the end. I wondered if there would come a time when I would drink a whole fifth everyday. I was getting darn close. I monitored my intake like a statistician in mL to make sure I always had enough. My preferred amount every night was 600 mL of vodka. I couldn't go any further even though I thought I enjoyed drinking. Can you imagine a normal person enjoying that much alcohol every night? Still baffles me.

Roger Ebert, a recovering alcoholic, said that if it weren't for the hangovers he probably never would have stopped drinking.

What it takes is to want to be sober more than you want to drink. For me, the scales tipped in June.

51 percent of me wanted to be sober and 49 percent wanted to drink that night. I didn't drink that night and have not since.

Yes. We can quit drinking even if some part of us still enjoyed it.
What a post amazing