Notices

I can't imagine being an alcoholic. ..

Old 08-15-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't imagine being an alcoholic. ..

I used to drink a lot. .. I guess I don't know the technical definition of alcoholic. . Maybe I was one. .. maybe not. Anyways I spent everyday at the bar for about 2 years. I had moved away from family to go to college and got a job serving. After that I either drank at the bar after work for hours (till 5 or 6 am) or I came for hours on my nights off.

I never drank at home because I was never at home. ..I think that's how I justified things. Anyways I don't drink anymore. .. not so much because I decided one day to be sober but I just didn't like the feeling of being intoxicated. It actually kind of happened without me realizing it and before I new it I wasn't a drinker. ..

Anyways I was driving to a medical appt the other day and I drove by 2 liquor stores open at 10am (no clue what time they opened but they were open when I drove by) ... I saw a man stumble out of one with the classic brown paper bag. I instantly thought I could never be a recovering alcoholic. .. how much strength must it take when your poison is so so accessible. .. gas stations grocery stores liquor stores open almost around the clock.

My issue is pills. .. but I can't just walk to the gas station and grab a bottle of percocet..I can't walk into a restaurant and order a few morphine tablets.. I am sure I would be dead if I could.

The point in all this rambling is to say to all those in recovery from alcohol... I think your strength is amazing. .I can't imagine having my doc shoved in my face constantly. .. you are all incredible.

That is all.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

i met a heroine addict and a coke addict years agoe. The heroine addict loved the percocet and morphine etc.. as well. I said to him why cant you just drink or something instead or do coke like that guy what is so stinking fascinating about stabbing yourself with a needle etc.. I said to the other guy why cant you just smoke dope or something or drink etc..

They both replied everyones got there poison that just happened to be what theres was and nothing else would suffice. The heroine addict went on to describe how much he liked sticking that needle in and getting that fix. etc.. He had this look in his eye etc... of total satisfaction as he discussed it.

Later I had a friend who loved dope at the end of the day after work he's smoke that first bowl and moan with joy as the THC hit his blood stream.

Towards the end of my drinking days I'd crack that first beer after work and moan as it went in and i could feel the alcohol easing its way in i'd get it in as fast as i could to get the relief i so desperatly needed

I new then alcohol was my poison and I had a problem.

I had a friend she had cancer. I had high cholesterol she said she never had a problem with that hers was always low I said wow your lucky! she said nope! i just got cancer.

So maybe you think your lucky cuase you have a pill addiction? Nope you just got a pill addiction your not lucky. Your problem is probably every bit as big and scary as the alcoholics.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes we don't really see all the behaviours that there is a problem whilst we're in the moment, 2 years constantly at the bar probably felt normal in the moment, everyone does it, right? maybe even that guy at 10am has convinced himself that is normal!!

For me it became life or death, it got serious how alcohol was affecting my life, so something had to change!!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did you know that there are P.A. Meetings? A addict ex-pharmacist leads the weekly P.A. Meetings in my area. Just thought I'd throw the info out here on the board. There is always help available.
. Bobbi
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Purechaos,

i couldn't ever imagine being an alcoholic, either. that would be real grim.

turns out i am, though, whether i imagined it or not

just playing around with the words here, though i'm telling the truth.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you might want to save this post. Your separation by the drug or drink of choice may become a problem for you.

I am an addict pure and simple. This includes many substances and behaviors that are unhealthy. Its a mindset that is my problem but I have a toolkit to now deal with now.

The substance does not make the addict in my experience. If it did then everyone who tried cocaine would become an addict...or heroin but this is not the case.

Given the cost of a bag of heroin (about $5 now) and sold on most urban corners I would argue in some cities its more common than the liquor store. That is your progression though - glad I am not into pills :-)
Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Purechaos,
I've been addicted to alcohol and I've been addicted to pills. Honestly, the withdrawal from pills was way worse. Please get some help.