Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What if government Reduced alcohol content by 50%

Notices

Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is a way of reintroducing prohibition, but what would happen if the government mandated that all alcohol was reduced by 50% of its current alcohol content?

Would people drink more or less? Would bootleggers set up shop with restricted quality alcohol? How would society deal with a lighter drink?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know me-as-drinker would simply buy twice as much, or switch to the dirt-cheapest rotgut available.

I suspect I wouldn't be the only one.

D
Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i woulda bought twice as much or fermented my own stuff.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Yeah I have to agree with the others. I just would have drank more. The longer I drank the higher alcohol content I needed. I just can't see how this would be a solution.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtf7 View Post
Not sure if this is a way of reintroducing prohibition, but what would happen if the government mandated that all alcohol was reduced by 50% of its current alcohol content?

Would people drink more or less? Would bootleggers set up shop with restricted quality alcohol? How would society deal with a lighter drink?
You'll just buy three or four times the content just to make up the difference. The industry could bring it all the way down to 2% and people will end up drinking more which will hurt them worse than before.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My drinking career started with a few beers a night, 5 years later I had graduated to a half a bottle of liquor, I wanted a buzz at any cost!!

So I would have just drank more I guess!!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I would have drank more. Are you starting to see a trend?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i would be the same as any other alcoholic i would need twice as much booze to get smashed out of my brains, i would have to drink even faster than i did

i remember once trying to control my drinking by making my first pint last over an hour it made no differnce by the time last orders came around i would be doubling up on everything : )
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, I would just drink twice as much. Prohibition back in the 20's only spawned more bootlegging and moonshine making and I suspect that would be the case this time. People would be making it in their basements strong enough to take varnish off the table.

The addict will always find a way.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I probably would have switched to 50% grain alcohol, which would be around the alcohol content of the vodka I was accustomed to drinking.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

If is is okay as part of an If/Then loop (sorry for the old programmer joke). Other than that my grandmother use to say "if a frog had a glass ass he wouldn't jump on rocks". I'm an alcoholic. I stopped when the booze ran out or I passed out.

-allan
Old 08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know me-as-drinker would simply buy twice as much, or switch to the dirt-cheapest rotgut available.

I suspect I wouldn't be the only one.

D

Roger that!
Old 08-13-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

People are already yelling about the "nanny state". I doubt such a thing would ever get off the ground. The liquor industry is too powerful and has bought stock in some members of congress...
Old 08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The legality or regulation of a substance has no effect on those who are addicted to it. If you are an Active alcoholic you will drink....period.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would have bought twice as much!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alcoholics are a cash cow for UK government i know that

Think off all that money the government make off our illness all they have is that drink aware logo in tiny font with that frephone number its pathetic

Even one of macklemore songs (alcoholic) are in a Budweiser advert ! Its beyond a joke

We need to educate what alcohol can do forget all this wine with your dinner enhances the meal bs seriously alcohol is a poison and we buy it for consumption there is no normal. people don't even realise it that's why they say rock bottom there needs to be a nip in the bud invented to help stem the flow

Adverts should be banned point blank and better new revised information should be avalible mainstream

No one should suffer yet we all do
Old 08-14-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I would have had to distill twice as much Listerine when I was deployed.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Near the end of my drinking, I mostly drank vodka & tonic.

I could have gotten the same effect from 50% less alcohol in the vodka and 50% less water in the tonic. The point is, alcoholics won't let laws or quality control stand in their way to get a certain effect. They will go to any lengths to get their buzz. Prohibition already proved that.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah, that would totally cure alcoholism.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think high ABV's aggravate alcohol related problems, such as drunken behaviour in the streets, violence, people passing out, etc... I dont think its a stretch too far to say high alcohol drinks may even accelerate the process of becoming an alcoholic or increase physical health problems.

Of course I have no evidence to back that up, but its my own personal assessment from witnessing the change in the UK over the years from pints of lager that had an ABV of around 3% to a now norm of 5% or 5.5% ABV.

When beer was 3% it was quite possible to sit and drink all night without getting "hammered", if you do the same with 5.5% beer your going to be pretty wasted.

Actually it used to be the case that only "alkies" drank the "strong lagers" like Special Brew which were over 5%.