Notices

Robin Williams

Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

[QUOTE=RobbyRobot;4837880
Addiction and recovery is indeed serious and yet there is room enough for an ability to laugh at ourselves, yeah? [/QUOTE]

Rule 62!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
One of the things that has bothered me the past few days is no one knows if he had returned to drinking or using drugs. People are making assumptions and expressing opinions but we won't know anything until the results of of the medical tests are released, if ever.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't read any of this thread that way. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. This disease isn't any less acute just because somebody is dry.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

There is life and conversation outside this thread and the internet

See the last sentence in my last post. We agree.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
I went to a meeting this morning then had breakfast with a friend. We're both sober the proverbial "a while" and also struggled with depression at times so we naturally talked a about Robin Williams.

One of the things that has bothered me the past few days is no one knows if he had returned to drinking or using drugs. People are making assumptions and expressing opinions but we won't know anything until the results of of the medical tests are released, if ever. I'll throw an opinion into the ring. It's really none of my damn business if he was sober or drinking. Truth is, this thing can kill us without us ever picking up a drink or drug.

-a
Robin Williams Checks Into Rehab For Continued Sobriety
The Huffington Post | By Cavan Sieczkowski

Posted: 07/01/2014 1:40 pm EDT Updated: 07/02/2014 1:59 pm EDT

Robin Williams has checked into rehab for continued sobriety, The Huffington Post confirms.

"After working back-to-back projects, Robin is simply taking the opportunity to fine-tune and focus on his continued commitment, of which he remains extremely proud," his representative told HuffPost on July 1.

The 62-year-old actor is currently at Hazelden Addiction Treatment Center in Minnesota in a program aimed at maintaining long-term sobriety, TMZ first reported. He will remain there for several weeks.

Williams has struggled with substance abuse since the 1980s. He previously admitted to cocaine and alcohol addiction and entered rehab in 2006 for alcoholism after 20 years of sobriety. He later told ABC's Diane Sawyer that his falling off the wagon was "very gradual."

"It's [addiction] -- not caused by anything, it's just there," he said in a 2006 interview. "It waits. It lays in wait for the time when you think, 'It's fine now, I'm OK.' Then, the next thing you know, it's not OK. Then you realize, 'Where am I? I didn't realize I was in Cleveland.'"

He admitted he once thought he could handle addiction on his own.

"But you can't. That's the bottom line," he said. "You really think you can, then you realize, I need help, and that's the word ... It's hard admitting it, then once you've done that, it's real easy."
That last part hits home for me. I've only recently acknowledged that I need help with this problem. But I want it in the form of pills to manage the withdrawal symptoms and depression. So in a sense, I hope to get better with medical attention. But I can't bring myself to consider a stay at a clinic, or asking my parents for help. That's a low point I am fighting to avoid. If I can't do it, then I can't do it. I'm good at being honest with myself. My first withdrawal panic attack, I immediately said to myself "I didn't sign up for this ****!", and I've been proactively looking for solutions ever since. But I've gotta try.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by BrodyCrystal4 View Post
I've gotta try.
Keep coming back and try going to a meeting. Unfortunately, the hard part is yet to come.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by BrodyCrystal4 View Post
That last part hits home for me. I've only recently acknowledged that I need help with this problem. But I want it in the form of pills to manage the withdrawal symptoms and depression. So in a sense, I hope to get better with medical attention. But I can't bring myself to consider a stay at a clinic, or asking my parents for help. That's a low point I am fighting to avoid. If I can't do it, then I can't do it. I'm good at being honest with myself. My first withdrawal panic attack, I immediately said to myself "I didn't sign up for this ****!", and I've been proactively looking for solutions ever since. But I've gotta try.
Withdrawal sucks but you only have to do it this one time. Hang in there and let us help you. We've all been right where you are. It will get better. Probably sooner than you think.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
He did not die in wine country and did not live there either. He lived in Marin Country, which is not Napa. He was making a joke.
I did one of those "Wine Tasting" tours with a girlfriend when I was dry and
trying to use will power to stop drinking. They give you these dinky aperitif glasses and pour about half a sip in a couple glasses. Then you drive another 10 miles before the next couple of sips. Its like slow torture.

What irritates the hell out of a "real alcoholic" like me is these "Regular Earth People" who get all gonzo and impressed about what is on the outside of the bottle. Like the vintage, the year made etc.

As far as Depression v. Alcoholism - Alcohol is a depressant drug. It would seem that a person suffering depression would think not to drink. But when I drank, I did not think of the consequences at all - its called "Strange mental blank spots." Big Book (Page 42)
Old 08-13-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Keep coming back and try going to a meeting. Unfortunately, the hard part is yet to come.
Actually, the Steps are the easier softer way when compared to late Stage 2
or Stage 3 Alcoholism.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UncleMeat69 View Post
Actually, the Steps are the easier softer way when compared to late Stage 2
or Stage 3 Alcoholism.
Right you are unc.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Grateful

FOR MOST normal folks, drinking means conviviality, companionship and colorful imagination. It means release from care, boredom and worry. It is joyous intimacy with friends and a feeling that life is good. But not so with us in those last days of heavy drinking. The old pleasures were gone. They were but memories. Never could we recapture the great moments of the past. There was an insistent yearning to enjoy life as we once did and a heartbreaking obsession that some new miracle of control would enable us to do it. There was always one more attempt--and one more failure.

The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself. As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It thickened, ever becoming blacker. Some of us sought out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship and approval. Momentarily we did-then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen--Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair. Unhappy drinkers who read this page will understand!

Now and then a serious drinker, being dry at the moment says, "I don’t miss it at all. Feel better. Work better. Having a better time." As ex-problem drinkers, we smile at such a sally. We know our friend is like a boy whistling in the dark to keep up his spirits. He fools himself. Inwardly he would give anything to take half a dozen drinks and get away with them. He will presently try the old game again, for he isn't happy about his sobriety. He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end.
Alcoholics Anonymous pp. 151-152

This section of the chapter "A Vision For You" popped into my head after hearing of Robin William's death. I have no idea what Mr. Williams was struggling with when he made his final decision, but it's widely known that he dealt with addiction, depression and was bi-polar during his life. As someone who has dealt with clinical depression (both while sober and actively drinking) there has never been a darker time in my life as when I was suffering acutely from both at the same time. When I reached that point where I could not imagine life with or without alcohol, I felt unimaginable loneliness and I wished for the end every day. I guess that it was only by the grace of my HP that I never followed through with that wish.

While I really enjoyed Robin Williams as an actor and comedian I am not going to pretend I am devastated or shocked by the news of his death, but I do have sympathy for his family and the pain they must be going through. I don't mean to sound cold-hearted as that is not my intention, but the stark reality is that he had battled with 3 of the leading illnesses that cause suicide and one or more of them finally brought him down. His death is a stark reminder that but for the grace of God, go I. I will remember Robin Williams for all of the times he made me laugh and some of the great roles he played in movies.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UncleMeat69 View Post

What irritates the hell out of a "real alcoholic" like me
why do i feel the need to give you a standing ovation as your a real alcoholic and the rest of us are not ? lol
Old 08-13-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
why do i feel the need to give you a standing ovation as your a real alcoholic and the rest of us are not ? lol
Sitting ovations are OK, if you prefer..........
Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Low

"Robin Williams was a member of AA.

I know there are quite a few famous people that have acknowledged that. Do they have special meetings or something? I think some professionals whose alcoholism has to be secret (doctors, etc) have some amount of privacy in that area."

Just as a FYI, no there are not "special" meetings for famous folks or doctors. They go to the same meetings as everyone else. I go to a Sunday AA speaker meeting in Beverly Hills that is loaded with them...pardon the pun....
I also remember when my doctor, who is just a very popular doctor in town, started going to meetings, most people respected him more....
Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Low View Post

I know there are quite a few famous people that have acknowledged that. Do they have special meetings or something? I think some professionals whose alcoholism has to be secret (doctors, etc) have some amount of privacy in that area."

Just as a FYI, no there are not "special" meetings for famous folks or doctors. They go to the same meetings as everyone else. I go to a Sunday AA speaker meeting in Beverly Hills that is loaded with them...pardon the pun....
I also remember when my doctor, who is just a very popular doctor in town, started going to meetings, most people respected him more....
forgive me for asking a dumb question here as i am from the uk
just reading your reply about being in Beverly hills meetings made me wonder
do they use a bog standard coffee pot over there or is there silver service type of pot ?
i know it might sound daft but i get a mental picture of super rich people with silver pots and bone china cups

please tell me the meetings are just like the normal ones and the super rich drink out of bog standard cups ? lol
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Low View Post

A doctor can lose his license for being an alcoholic, legal troubles or not.

It must not have been AA, if you insist, but there is a 12 step based recovery program in the bay area specifically geared towards confidentiality.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
he was a very Gifted man who made a LOT of people laugh and smile.. whatever else he may have been he was that. it made me sad to hear he had died.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Sadly someone took a pic of him at a recent AA meeting. I will not link that as I found it sad and rude. It is not like he covered up his issues. He shared a lot. It was not a news coup. He released a press release when he last went to Hazelden.

He served others a lot. He sounded incredibly generous. I watched Weapons of Self Destruction the other night and it was poignant to hear material that he spoke with humor and probably first hand knowledge. He shared a lot of information quite candidly in a funny way - even about his heart surgery.

Such an amazing talent. Truly one of a kind.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Low

please tell me the meetings are just like the normal ones and the super rich drink out of bog standard cups ? lol

No Desypete, they drink out of paper cups like everyone else, but the coffee is flown in fresh from Costa Rica, and butlers serve it.....lol
Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Alcoholism, depression, etc. are non-discriminating diseases. While Robin fell to them, he was, and is, non-discriminating treatment. In that sense, he is a martyr.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Watching some of Robin Williams movies lately and really never appreciated how great he was. The guy will be missed.

Despite all the demons inside him he spent his life working to make us feel better through his films and stand up. I'm usually not effected by celebrity deaths but this one has been weighing on me a bit.