Notices

stomach problems

Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

stomach problems

When I was drinking heavily I constantly had acid reflux and even had a bout of gastritis. That cleared up pretty quickly. Lately I have noticed an excited flutter in my stomach when I get to do something I enjoy. Especially when I wake up in the morning and realize it's my day off. Yeah today's my day off. There is science behind that. It seems that our guts may play an important part in our mental health.

The second brain informs our state of mind in other more obscure ways, as well. "A big part of our emotions are probably influenced by the nerves in our gut," Mayer says. Butterflies in the stomach—signaling in the gut as part of our physiological stress response, Gershon says—is but one example. Although gastrointestinal (GI) turmoil can sour one's moods, everyday emotional well-being may rely on messages from the brain below to the brain above. For example, electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve—a useful treatment for depression—may mimic these signals, Gershon says.

Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being - Scientific American
Old 08-10-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting stuff! I have noticed that when my stomach problems flare up it is often accompanied by panic symptoms. Probably something to do with what the article talks about
Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

When I'm in close proximity to a psychopath, my stomach reliably alerts me to his presence. Even works when I just read his words.