Notices

Sober vacation complete

Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober vacation complete

Hey everyone, I just got back from my first sober vacation. The only other sober vacations I can remember is when I was a little kid. Was it easy, heck no, even with 8 months of sobriety. Drinking seemed to be everywhere. We camped one night, and my son and I walked around the campground in the evening: beer and wine seemed to be on every table. Booze at hotels, especially around the pools. I think every night I had to wrestle with my AV telling me that I am on vacation and it's okay to have a bit, that I'll be sober at home. Yet, I did not drink. I did take a sleep aid each night, but I was fine each morning, ready for the day. The thing that really kept me focused was the fear of unleashing this beast that took 7 years to get under control. I thought about how my relapse of a year and a half started with one single beer at a holiday gathering. So I'm home, still sober, and getting ready for the next first-year challenge: the end of vacation and heading back to work. I have a week left, but the next challenge still looms.
onward!
-Malcolm
Old 08-10-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great stuff Malcolm!!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Always nice to have fond memories of a vacation along with pictures
Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Proud of you. Hope I can do the same!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vacations, like everything else, were just filled with hangovers for me for years. Hungover on the plane, hungover by the pool, hungover at breakfast. Or my favorite, so hungover that I still hurt at dinner time. Vacations are a comparative pleasure for me now and I've finally gotten to the point where I don't want a drink and my family and friends are comfortable with that--bliss!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job Malcolm!! I can totally relate! I know my alcoholic self shouldn't be focused on the booze that seems to be everywhere when I am on vacation or traveling for work but... man it is obnoxiously hard to ignore! Great job on maintaining the 8 months and not having to start over!

Great reminder that all the madness can begin with just one beer or drink...I will continue to work my program!

GoMan
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is fabulous Malcolm!!!! I am absolutely petrified of an upcoming event - it happy two days after my 30 day sober mark so day by day it goes for me..... I'm super proud of you - the knowledge that you can get through it and ENJOY the holiday hopefully helps you feel less anxious about the next one.