Notices

My college roommate is now in rehab...

Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My college roommate is now in rehab...

Interesting news. My old roommate from university let me know that he'd checked into rehab a couple of months ago. Funny, I checked out of rehab almost 2 years ago to this day.

There's a lot of chat in the recovery community about "nature vs. nurture" - this certainly puts a check in the "nurture" column. We are both from different states, and have different family backgrounds - but we both went to the same hard-drinking Midwest university, both joined the same fraternity house, and both spent our late-teens and early 20's in a culture that placed a high value on the drinking culture. I'm not shocked in the least that he has also struggled with alcohol and has reached this point - looking at it through a sober lens these days, it's very clear to me that he's had a problem for a long time. Heck, he was my roommate, my buddy, and was doing the same exact things I was. Makes sense.

One memory that sticks out in my head was that we were roommates on 9/11. The attacks happened early in the morning and I was up for class (a rarity in its own right) when I turned on the TV. I yelled at him to come downstairs and join me to watch the events unfold - I was in shock and horrified just like the rest of the world. But he was too hung over to even come downstairs. He told me to stop yelling and let him sleep. Sheesh. This guy is a political genius and has studied the history of several wars and conflicts as part of his degree....and he was so hungover from drinking that he didn't even bother to get out of bed and leave his room on 9/11.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter what got him there, it matters how he gets out. I'm glad he found sobriety, and is working on recovery. He had a lot of potential and after college we lost touch. I was never really sure what happened to him, but hearing he's getting sober is really encouraging. I'm glad to see he had enough sense to get things straight before it's too late. I tip my cap to him and to everyone else who's getting sober, no matter what stage of life you're at.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This hits home. A couple of my frat brothers have also been in rehab, a couple even went to prison for drug/alcohol related crimes.

As for the 9/11 story? We were all riveted to the TV during it (many with hangovers), but we used the tragedy and cancellation of our classes as an excuse to buy a keg and smoke blunts. Can't believe the way I used to be....