Notices

withdrawal or hangover?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

withdrawal or hangover?

Hi. I've been sober a few days over 2 years. I did it pretty much alone. I've been watching here a while and last few weeks have become active. I really didn't/know much about the above. I tried google, but I'm not getting answers I really understand. OK. I was under the impression that it was a hangover. example: drank non stop (mostly) for say a full day, probably 2 big bottles of wine, then wake up... vomiting everything. BP high enough to see throat moving in/out. If I took another drink sometimes, I'd be okay..IF I didn't I'd be in that condition for a solid 2 says (depending on how long the binge, a bit more/less). I thought this was just really bad hangovers. Now I'm not so sure. Do you go into withdrawal that quickly? how can you tell the difference? I know the last few months I was drinking I'd have these episodes weekly. Then I'd not drink a few days, feel better and go back at it. Anyway have more insight than I. Like I said, I just quit alone with no resources. I guess its not that important at this point, but I'm curious..thanks.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The prevailing wisdom is a hangover is withdrawal.

as for onset, I've had withdrawal while I was drinking.

D
Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've always been of the opinion that hangovers are mini-withdrawals. Most only last a day or maybe two, depending on how much and how long the binge. If we drink regularly, as in most every day, for a long period of time, then if we abruptly stop, what we experience would be full blown withdrawals that can last several days. At least, that's how I think of it.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto what the others have said. Hangover is a mild form of withdrawal. As your drinking progresses to heavier and more chronic to the point where you're chemically dependent, the withdrawal becomes more severe.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Onset of withdrawal is usually 6-8 hours after the last drink. Which is why many alcoholics wake up in the middle of the night with shakes and anxiety.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, I never really gave it much thought.. I thought wow, I'm reading all these stories of horrible withdrawals and I thought I went away unscathed. I was so wrong. honestly, I was starting to tell myself, wow, I'm lucky, perhaps I wasnt an alcoholic (AV, I suppose). I was 100% a few weeks ago. Then doubt starting creeping in. I'm back to being 150% sure. Again, thanks for the answers.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your description sounds a lot like my last year of drinking. It now seems worse looking back then it did as it happened. I was most definitely in daily withdrawals. Even after reading here I was still in denial. If I could still go to work I wasn't having daily withdrawals, right? My denial was so crazy. It felt like my insides were tied up in tight knots.

The classic hangovers were a thing of the past. I had not vomited in several years even while drinking very heavily and daily. I had no energy yet could barely sit still. I couldn't concentrate on anything. I would sweat yet feel cold. My hands shook during certain tasks but not all the time. If I did anything that required any exertion I would sweat profusely, like the back of my shirt would be all wet. I would often look at other people's foreheads to see if they were sweating as much as me.

Awesome job on the two years of sobriety!!! I also look back and reflect on my drinking years. So much sickness involved and no fun really for the last few. What relief not to have to worry about withdrawals anymore. Great job!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

My experience with hangovers is they made me feel sick or ill. DT's made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone.