Notices

25 years and slipped

Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
AA is simply a meeting of two or more drunks who want to stop drinking. The steps are merely a suggested program of recovery.
Well, they also suggest to pull the rip cord when one is skydiving out of a plane too!...... lol
Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patriciae View Post
Again, you keep missing the point, that is NOT my interpretation of anything, its The Program of Alcoholics Anonymous, its the only ONE.
No. We simply disagree on the interpretation and this happens in AA.

I have dealt with a lot in sobriety and I am sure you have as well.

We both have our experiences and both are equally valid.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Again, what I am sharing is NOT my way, it IS the Program of Recovery IN Alcoholics Anonymous....and its the ONLY Program they have.

Not trying to pick a fight here either, but it seems that you have never worked the 12 Steps and really are not even aware what they are, if you had worked them, you wouldn't have to ask what White Knucking It is.....and after all, those 12 Steps are the ONLY Solution IN Alcoholics Anonymous.
that to me sounds like the kind of answer a politician would give out

you want it your way but your not going to say that as what you will say is your way is the only way as you believe it is
so its not your way at all but it is your way but your not going to admit it as your way
i think i will stick to my way as its honest : ) but thanks for that it gave me a chuckle
Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
AA is simply a meeting of two or more drunks who want to stop drinking. The steps are merely a suggested program of recovery.
yes that is exactly the way it is
of course those who want to argue and try to get you to conform to there way will come out with the old one liner

its suggested to pull the rip cord of a parachute

in other words do it there way
Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
of course those who want to argue and try to get you to conform to there way will come out with the old one liner
And the rigid one liner people must tire of the repetition at some point. Lol. Would be much better for everyone if people were willing to grasp the idea that nothing is set in stone. Varying interpretations are the rule, not the exception.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
No. We simply disagree on the interpretation and this happens in AA.

I have dealt with a lot in sobriety and I am sure you have as well.

We both have our experiences and both are equally valid.
No, Alcoholics Anonymou has ONE program of recovery. I am sorry that you are unaware of that. In the Big Book it says the following:

At some of these we balked. We thought we could find and easier softer way. But we could not. With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

Remember that we deal with alcohol -- cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power -- that One is God. May you find Him now!

Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. We asked his protection and care with complete abandon.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
And the rigid one liner people must tire of the repetition at some point. Lol. Would be much better for everyone if people were willing to grasp the idea that nothing is set in stone. Varying interpretations are the rule, not the exception.
I have been to the funerals of those who they were convinced they could do it their way. Their names are now set in stone, their Head Stone!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

The only require for AA membership is the desire to quit drinking.

If they go to meetings and do nothing else, then so be it. I have no dog in that fight. I don’t look at them and say or think, they are not “real” because they have not worked the steps. I would encourage it but not beat them over the head with it.

Patriciae, I get what you are saying. I have worked the 12 steps. I have found the relief you speak of but ramming my experiences down others peoples throats is not the answer, IMO.

If they want it, then they want it and they will do what ever it takes to get it. If they don’t want it or have found something else that works then so be it. There is no use trying to convince someone that your way, or my way or the AA way followed by precise instruction is best way. Attraction, not promotion.

Leave them be. Patience, tolerance and understanding.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
This. And not just the understanding that not everyone will do things your ( and I mean that in a generic form ) way, but also the acceptance that there are OTHER ways to successfully live a sober, happy free life outside of your chosen sobriety method.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

My mother is fairly religious as is my sister. This thread reminds of the arguments they have over the interpretation of the bible.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
My mother is fairly religious as is my sister. This thread reminds of the arguments they have over the interpretation of the bible.
Yes! I am from the south and most people down here feel very strongly about religion. My family is this way and so I grew up hearing these kinds of things.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

The only require for AA membership is the desire to quit drinking.

If they go to meetings and do nothing else, then so be it. I have no dog in that fight. I don’t look at them and say or think, they are not “real” because they have not worked the steps. I would encourage it but not beat them over the head with it.

Patriciae, I get what you are saying. I have worked the 12 steps. I have found the relief you speak of but ramming my experiences down others peoples throats is not the answer, IMO.

If they want it, then they want it and they will do what ever it takes to get it. If they don’t want it or have found something else that works then so be it. There is no use trying to convince someone that your way, or my way or the AA way followed by precise instruction is best way. Attraction, not promotion.

Thanks Gracie, I needed to hear that I just feel strongly that ignoring the fact that AA has a program of recovery and passing on that AA meetings is all that is needed......isn't the message of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thanks Gracie, I needed to hear that I just feel strongly that ignoring the fact that AA has a program of recovery and passing on that AA meetings is all that is needed......isn't the message of Alcoholics Anonymous.
I agree. The AA "program" is not "just" going to meetings. Attending the meetings makes you a member of AA. Being a member does not mean you have to work the program as laid out in the BB or even own a BB or have a sponsor or work it one day at a time.

A member simply means you attend AA. There are AA members that just attend meetings and then there are AA members that work the program. Both can and do stay sober.

It does not matter how they do it. As an AA member I feel responsible to help anybody with a desire to quit drinking whether they are in the rooms or not.

My job as an AA member that does work the program is to pass that to members who also desire to work the program using the BB as my guide.

Not to force the program onto members that do not want it. I have to also remember that some that did not want it in the beginning, desire it later and others that dived into it the first day move away from it later. That is okay.

The primary purpose is to "stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety".
Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Gracie, first, I hear you loud and clear. I am very passionate about AA, it saved my life and not because of an easier softer way.

Thanks Gracie
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Gracie, just curious here... what is your opinion of those people who study the literature, work the steps, volunteer as service to others, use SR as service to others, and find spirituality in everyday life? If I study the Big Book, employ the actions and concepts as I see fit, and develop my spirituality more intuitively... what do you think of that kind approach? Would that be a non AA member who benefits from the Big Book?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Gracie, just curious here... what is your opinion of those people who study the literature, work the steps, volunteer as service to others, use SR as service to others, and find spirituality in everyday life? If I study the Big Book, employ the actions and concepts as I see fit, and develop my spirituality more intuitively... what do you think of that kind approach? Would that be a non AA member who benefits from the Big Book?
I would call you sober. How you got that way is not my concern.

I don't think it is my job to label anyone but I believe that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking so if you have been to an AA meeting, then you are member. If you still identify yourself as an alcoholic then I would think that would make you a lifetime member.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I would call you sober. How you got that way is not my concern.

I don't think it is my job to label anyone but I believe that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking so if you have been to an AA meeting, then you are member. If you still identify yourself as an alcoholic then I would think that would make you a lifetime member.
Hi Gracie,
I do not want to seem like I am shoving anything down anyones throat, or being purposeful disagreeable....but attending an AA meeting doesn't make anyone an AA member. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking and one is an AA member when they say so.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I believe that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking so if you have been to an AA meeting, then you are member. If you still identify yourself as an alcoholic then I would think that would make you a lifetime member.
Interesting, thanks for your thoughts

I feel like a member, but I figured some might not consider me one. I'm not sure if/when I'll go back to a meeting. I wish I felt better about going. Maybe one day. For now, I feel ok about my choice.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Gracie,
I do not want to seem like I am shoving anything down anyones throat, or being purposeful disagreeable....but attending an AA meeting doesn't make anyone an AA member. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking and one is an AA member when they say so.
The article I read states...

"Our door stands open wide, and if he passes through it and commences to do anything about his problem, he is considered a member of Alcoholics Anonymous."

That tells me any "alcoholic" that passes the threshold is a member.

He remains a member as long as he says he is a member.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

The article I read states...

"Our door stands open wide, and if he passes through it and commences to do anything about his problem, he is considered a member of Alcoholics Anonymous."

That tells me any "alcoholic" that passes the threshold is a member.

He remains a member as long as he says he is a member.
If you don't mind me asking, what article is that Gracie?