Notices

Odd sometimes the way we think

Old 08-06-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Odd sometimes the way we think

My liver...ahhh... a worry for years. So, like many of us, yearly I'd quit drinking for 2 weeks prior to my yearly physical, so I could actually check the box under occasional on alcohol use. Then I was hoping my liver was doing ok. I always had the lab send me a copy of the report so I'd know in advance of the followup appt how I was doing. Usually if it was okay, I'd cancell the follow up, don't want the doc to see bloodshot/glassy eyes, -I always thought they'd be able to tell-. ---- So, I quit drinking for a bunch of other reasons..Never my liver, because I was coming up like roses yearly. I quit Aug 2012. October 2012, diagnosed with Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis (both autoimmune diseases). I was so proud to check the NEVER box for alcohol use. (don't worry, in future appts, I did fess up). Well, I'm one set of meds for the lupus and one for the RA. Unfortunately, sometimes the two together are toxic( so I go for bi monthly blood work)Now after 4-5 years of almost daily 2 bottles of wine with no liver probs. HERE I AM, with elevated liver problems, getting ready to go for further testing. Its just ironic, I'm trying to take care of myself and the other shoe drops. I'm actually PO'd beyond belief..I realize I should not be, and NO, I wont' drink, because being on methotrexate and booze would surely kill me (its a failsafe) .. I do have faith that everything will turn out fine. But sometimes you just can't win for losing. I suppose the irony is I worked so hard to keep my drinking away from the medical pro's, and now I'm having to deal with on almost constantly in the wide open. Thanks for letting me get this out, I don't really have anyone to talk to about it.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Glad you got that out. Hope your treatment helps.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ESD907

sometimes we just have bad luck, I think
Hopefully they can sort out the meds issue and your liver can recuperate

D
Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Such an awful development. Happy to read that you're not going to drink over it.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is the irony of "yet".

I never had a car accident until I got sober. Had my first one two months ago.

I got my second speeding ticket ever. First was in 1988. Again, I was sober.

YET follows us into sobriety. Many people say they have never relapsed...Yet.

I used to think once I got sober that I was on easy street as far as problems go. I am not. The difference today is how we look at the difficulties that come down the pipeline. How we react.

I am glad you did not drink over this. Time, patience and some med changes may be in order. Everything will work itself out.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My old drinking buddy and I were talking just yesterday about lying to the Doctor about drinking. What an odd little habit we drinkers have!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
My old drinking buddy and I were talking just yesterday about lying to the Doctor about drinking. What an odd little habit we drinkers have!

Many of us must have practiced as fishermen.

BE WELL
Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
My entire life was a lie when I was actively drinking. I lied about my drinking to eveyrone, including myself. I lied about how much I drank, when I drank, hid my beer, snuck out to buy more beer and lied about where I was going, and the list goes on. I personally feel that a very large part of sobriety is simply being honest with yourself.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm wishes...and gaffo, we sure can think on our feet, huh? Try explaining why there is an empty bottle of booze in a suitcase, or why there is a half drunk glass of wine with a pizza crust in it behind the bookcase. Thanks again. Doctor Friday with my new protocol.