Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Not caring..lack of character or spiritual growth?

Notices

Not caring..lack of character or spiritual growth?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Its not about liking or not liking your posts, cabo.

When people chose to offer a critical point of view, it is better to take it into consideration than it is to become defensive, okay?

I've learned more about myself by those who initially have disagreed with me, is my experience. Sure I like agreement too, but no one wants to have agreement that lacks sincerity, yeah?

Relax, Cabo.
Take it easy, friend.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm fine.... no worries really..never was upset..just trying my best to explain..im not exactly Dickens..I know this
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Have you had a physical lately? This is probably going to sound weird coming from a woman buuuuut ill say it anyway. Something as simple as a deficiency in testosterone levels can cause these fluctuations.

Anyway I think I'm not alone in hopeing you're in a good place!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

anyway...i realize that people might thunk I'm brass or an a-hole from my posts...or I just rub them the wrong way

I don't think that's fair but you are just going to have to take my word for it that i'm a good person that doesn't mean any harm...and if you met me in real life you probably thought i was a different person....I try to abide by the rules but I'm not going to sensor myself out of shame...sorry

thank you imperfectly...i get it,,,good one
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
EndGame

Not trying to seem "high and fluenty" here, cabo, but the reality is (and I've learned this over years of clinical work, my work in research, and as part of my own personal experience) that we often shut down emotionally as a means of disengaging from what seems like a constant battle. We simply aren't built to bear an ongoing, open-ended emotional onslaught and, because we cannot run from our own inner lives, we do the next best thing. Some people experience extreme anxiety as a result, others, depression. And others, still, experience emotional flatness, which is not the same thing as laziness, and is certainly not a "character flaw."

Such states are similar to the emotional lockdowns we attempt during active alcoholism, and sometimes for the same reasons that we drink. Some people are comfortable making the analogy between such an emotional moratoria and a physical state of shock following a physical trauma. Both protect us from further, often unbearable pain, but neither is infinitely sustainable.

In retrospect, it was necessary for me to go through what you've described in order to get to a better place, something I was not conscious of looking for at the time. I had beaten down and battered myself so completely, that I could do nothing else but not care. What followed after several months of sobriety was a restlessness and a revulsion of what I'd become, the first rustlings of my passions.

How many times have you read comments here about people being bored, unmotivated or, as in your case, simply no longer caring about the things in life that used to make life worth living after a short -- and often a much longer -- period of abstinence? If this were mere laziness, then it would be unlikely that things would ever change, especially the part about not caring about the absence of motivation, passion and activity.

As for your aversion to PAWS as a viable syndrome, in the absence of classifying psychiatric states and medical conditions, both psychiatry and medicine would be in disarray and there would be considerable obstacles in terms of treating patients who presented with any array of symptoms. When a specific patient population reliably and more often than not presents with more or less specific constellations of symptoms, then we're responsible to classify this presentation so as to both identify the condition and proceed with the appropriate treatment.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I really meant nothing more than met the eye with the T levels, substitute an innocuous hormone lets say Triiodothyronine T3, anyway point being sometimes our emotional states are effected by our physiological.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
In retrospect, it was necessary for me to go through what you've described in order to get to a better place, something I was not conscious of looking for at the time. I had beaten down and battered myself so completely, that I could do nothing else but not care. What followed after several months of sobriety was a restlessness and a revulsion of what I'd become, the first rustlings of my passions.
I went through a version of this type of thing myself.

Sounds par for the course, Cabo. I wouldn't worry about it.

I predict you'll begin to "thaw" out in time.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
I really meant nothing more than met the eye with the T levels, substitute an innocuous hormone lets say Triiodothyronine T3, anyway point being sometimes our emotional states are effected by our physiological.
oh alright..it doubled as a crafty high grade submersive passive aggressive comment..the likes of which only a pro like my older sister could dish out..i kind of enjoyed it
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I didn't take your post to mean anything then maybe you feel you are missing something but not sure what that something is?

Am I close?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

What the hell happened in here??? Jeez, leave you guys alone for a few hours...

ROFLOL!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Not trying to seem "high and fluenty" here, cabo, but the reality is (and I've learned this over years of clinical work, my work in research, and as part of my own personal experience) that we often shut down emotionally as a means of disengaging from what seems like a constant battle. We simply aren't built to bear an ongoing, open-ended emotional onslaught and, because we cannot run from our own inner lives, we do the next best thing. Some people experience extreme anxiety as a result, others, depression. And others, still, experience emotional flatness, which is not the same thing as laziness, and is certainly not a "character flaw."

Such states are similar to the emotional lockdowns we attempt during active alcoholism, and sometimes for the same reasons that we drink. Some people are comfortable making the analogy between such an emotional moratoria and a physical state of shock following a physical trauma. Both protect us from further, often unbearable pain, but neither is infinitely sustainable.

How many times have you read comments here about people being bored, unmotivated or, as in your case, simply no longer caring about the things in life that used to make life worth living after a short -- and often a much longer -- period of abstinence? If this were mere laziness, then it would be unlikely that things would ever change, especially the part about not caring about the absence of motivation, passion and activity.

As for your aversion to PAWS as a viable syndrome, in the absence of classifying psychiatric states and medical conditions, both psychiatry and medicine would be in disarray and there would be considerable obstacles in terms of treating patients who presented with any array of symptoms. When a specific patient population reliably and more often than not presents with more or less specific constellations of symptoms, then we're responsible to classify this presentation so as to both identify the condition and proceed with the appropriate treatment.
I think you are talking about a dissociation end? it's interesting when i had another "experience" a few years ago..i went to a psychiarist to get some possible insight...he mentioned that but then told me to come back if i had depression or anxiety..which means he really didn't know what to make of it...ii am sure of my past experiences and their value..i don't feel a need to discuss them...thanks for the feedback...did you go to a shrink at all those times you described?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Cabo, I am not infusing anything negative into your posts. Reading this thread, these mental states in question remind me of what I also like to describe as "detachment" and for myself at least, discriminate this from another state that I like to call "non-attachment". The difference between the two is that for me, "detachment" is a rather maladaptive self-defense mechanism/ attitude when I feel overwhelmed by things and I shut down emotionally, kind of conserving my resources, not wanting to truly face the world/problems. It is forced control and minimalism. This, for me, is most often an anxiety-driven psychological reaction. You know, when people say someone is aloof? I had a very strong tendency to behave this way while drinking. I think it's different from what they call "dissociation" in psychiatry.

Non-attachment is something else, it's not an escaping attitude, more the opposite. For me, that state also involves a radical acceptance of reality, myself and everything that comes with it, it's selective involvement and actually often intense connection with the world and others, without clinging to anything in particular. It is pretty effortless, natural, and relaxed, and represents more giving up control and giving up enforcing boundaries. It also involves wanting to actually deeply participate in the world without getting lost and with minimal expectations and attachment to outcome. I would also describe this state as quite enthusiastic and fascinated, with no hint of apathy.

Not sure if any of this is relevant to what you are feeling? I am quite prone to both of these, but obviously the goal is more what I call "non-attachment". Just associations to your posts
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
zjw

I get those posts but in my case i go back and forth from extreme tho not as extreme as it once was but exteme Oh my I should care and handle this to Meh whats it matter life goes on. the 2 mentalities are almost in constant conflict to some degree.

I can go for a while just not careing then freaked out about something then I stop and ask myself why do i care? is there anything i can do about it? does it matter? will we starve? in the whole scheme of things is this really that important? is this really that bad? If life could be so much worse why should i jump and even care about this incidence? this clearly isnt so bad or even a problem.

I do get flat emotions too a lot really. I know why its to protect myself I dont like the emotional tug of war I dont like all the pain and games that go along with it. I'd rather just be flat its easier this way.

I also dont like my routine messed with anything out of the ordinary and i get anxiety and such so I just like to keep things the same. This doesnt mean i wont live a little I will but when i'm good and ready not on anyone elses timeline or terms.

I did go through a very detached phase when ifirst sobered up. for a good i duno 10 months things didnt seem real to me almost as if i was wondering through a movie set watching all that goes on in the world but nothing was truely real it was a strange place to be.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

we often shut down emotionally as a means of disengaging from what seems like a constant battle. We simply aren't built to bear an ongoing, open-ended emotional onslaught and, because we cannot run from our own inner lives, we do the next best thing. Some people experience extreme anxiety as a result, others, depression.
I really appreciate your insight Endgame. You always seem to say the exact words I need to hear. Thank you for always being willing to share what you have learned both professionally, academically and personally. Grateful.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Are you happy about this latest development Cabo? When I lost my fear it was one of the best feeling ever. It didn't make me feel flat though. It made me feel free. Do you flat or free?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I thought of the perfect song for you Cabo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arfE4QI3YCc

I hear ya
Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
not complacent....just not caring about if the sht hits the fan or not....i don't know how to describe this...but hey maybe you are right its just a character flaw or laziness..
Sounds like you got the detached part of recovery without the sense of purpose part. Good news is that is enough to keep you sober. Bad news that will eventually make you feel like sobriety is not worth having. I have been there myself and the only remedy that I have found for it is trying to be of service to others. Even though my posts PO a few members here (like you) they also serve the purpose of planting seed's in others.

Your posts aren't all that different than mine (we both shoot straight from the hip), but your's seldom seem to be aimed at helping others.
Not that mine are always helpful but my motives are mostly benign (except when I have a vendetta going). Take a look at this BB quote and see if it something that might help you:

"Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.
Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives."

(page 89