Notices

and she's OFF!.........

Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

and she's OFF!.........

I feel like I have gotten a good start. Today is Day 8 and tonight I will be going to my 8th AA meeting in a row. It has been immeasurably helpful. I am doing my work...and honestly, I think that EVERYONE should go through AA. One of the younger guys in group last night said that he never understood why people introduced themselves as a "Grateful Alcoholic" but that being given an opportunity to work through steps that teach him about how to deal with life - that gives him tools to deal with sh*t has come from working the program. He said he would NEVER have talked about his feelings let alone talk about his feelings to a group of people - some of whom he has never met.....

Anyways - this post isn't supposed to be about AA - I'm just grateful that it has been the only way I can get to Day 8 and feel HAPPY and GRATEFUL.

Today is my 13th wedding anniversary. I am so so so fortunate to have realized that I am an Alcoholic and DO something about it before I lose the man who I want to grow very old with.

my 30 days sober will fall on my 42nd Birthday...... I don't know if I will make it but I only have to think about not drinking today - I think I can do that

All the best to everyone here
Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course you'll make it.

42 is the answer.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

just as you avoid the stones and obstacles on the trail, keep this same attitude as you continue through your sober journey. keep going and learning from AA.

Congratulations on your week, your anniversary and your upcoming birthday at 30 days.

You will have completed a pretty cool trifecta.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 8!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AND...I'm going to REALLY get back into shape...riding my lovely new Carbon Roadbike into town to the AA meeting tonight - 32 km either way will give me loads of reflection time and burn off more calories than I used to drink in an evening
Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nice work Trailrun. It's pretty amazing what your body can do when you stop poisoning it daily, huh? Glad you've found a plan that works for you too, keep up the good work and happy anniversary and upcoming birthday!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations and please, keep coming back! AA is the only recovery program that could reach and change this alcoholic. You know, when I first came to the rooms at age 22 (I'm 36 now, a little over 9 months sober) I would hear people say how grateful they were to be sober or how they were a grateful alcoholic. And I used to think it was pathetic. Like, these people are in such need of a life the best thing they have is their sobriety!? Wtf.... Yeah, years, numerous trips to jail and the ER later, failed marriage and lost jobs, multiple rounds of insanity later...I was the one who needed a life. By the grace of God, AA is giving me one! I now understand. And today, I am truly grateful to be sober.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy anniversary and congrats on 8 days

D
Old 08-04-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pffft... Only eight meetings in eight days?

Just kidding. Keep it up. I started feeling a lot better when I had been sober about as long as you are. Good things are in store for you if you persevere.