Notices

Drinking and appetite

Old 08-03-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking and appetite

I was reflecting on my drinking past and noticed that some people were able to just drink for days without eating. I was the opposite. How did people on this forum respond?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I often needed to drink in order to eat. Otherwise, my appetite was non existent.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say I didn't eat for days, but I definitely skipped regular meals, I never had breakfast as I was a mess in the mornings and couldn't face it, but by lunch time would eat something and then eat late at night, plenty of rubbish after my evening of drinking, though sometimes I would pass out into bed without managing to eat anything.

Since getting Sober I definitely eat more each day, as I don't skip meals, but on reflection ate very little during my drinking days!!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hardly ate. Yeah, would have to drink to eat. Otherwise food would make me sick. Really sucked.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I skipped eating so I wouldn't gain weight. Messed up logic :/
Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never ate while I was drinking. It ruined my buzz, and I was drinking all the time. My feeling was, I didn't start this fire to put it out.
Went to the doctor for blood work and found out I was anemic.
So, nope only ate when I was hungover or sober, which wasn't often.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Wow... Looks like I'm in the minority here. I ate all the time. Yes, it did take longer to get drunk but I didn't care how much alcohol I drank!

Now I find my appetite is pretty much... Normal I guess. I eat when I'm hungry. I'm also eating healthier too (by choice).

Each person is different!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It depends, when I just had one night or day out, I would enjoy eating. Going to dinner and pairing food and wine was a hobby of mine. When I would go on a bender, drinking all day and night for 2 or 3 days, I wouldn't eat at all. I would maybe nibble on something to keep my brain functioning and energy up, but it would only be a few bites. So not healthy
Old 08-03-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't eat until the end of the night when I got home from the pub or finished my last beer at home. I would stuff my face then go to sleep and it would usually be fast-food junk like pizza or something. However, I rarely combined food with alcohol if I wasn't out at a restaurant. Didn't want the food to soak up the booze and take away from the buzz. I would drink 12 beers on an empty stomach then maybe eat.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

During my binges (which lasted around two weeks at a time) I would consume very little. Maybe some crisps (that's potato chips for the folk in the us ) and a couple pieces of fruit but other than that the only thing that passed my lips was booze. I was drinking a crazy amount of vodka though and the effect it must have been hving on my stomach lining was the reason for my very low appetite.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like others have mentioned, I didn't eat during my drinking days. Food added calories and I didn't want to gain weight. Yeah, really stoopid thinking.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never ate when I drank except right before crashing in bed. I wanted to feel the alcohol more. Eating ruined that. Every time I stop drinking I eat like crazy to keep my blood sugar from crashing and gain weight. Ugh. So, the hope of losing weight when I quit isn't really in the cards for me!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Matt M

My appetite completely went when I drank heavily, it was one of the ways people knew I was drinking heavily again.
I don't know moderation, when I do eat I eat loads, when I don't eat I can easily go two or three days without eating a thing and just drinking.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This shifted in my drinking. In my early and middle days of drinking, I would eat and eat and eat while drinking. Anything in sight. Gained a lot of weight because of it. The later/last times I drank, I didn't really care about eating, and ate very little if at all.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good Morning same here, it was hard for to eat while drinking. This is my first day of sobriety and I know its going to be tough. How did you get your body use to eating and how long did it take?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would eat late at night when I wrapped up my drinking for the day.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I could eat at meals on nights out with friends whilst putting away triple the wine they did. That's because the plate was there and they would notice. Really only cared for the wine.

At barbecues or a picnic I would say have one burger and think no-one would know if I didn't have any more and drink as fruit punch and cider all possible whilst everyone else focused on the REAL reason to be there - food and company.

On binges of up to a week on my own - nothing or just a few crisps daily (potato chips, yes!) So it was basically about keeping up the pretence that I was normal like all my friends.

Just re-read this and it's helpful to see me admitting this written down, so thanks OP for the topic. very sad in playback
Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As I got further into my drinking career so to speak, I ate very little. I wouldn't really realize it but I guess a continuous stream of alcohol into my body was giving me enough empty calories to *function* and keeping my stomach full enough to not feel the emptiness of hunger. I was also feeling very bloated in the last many months and had begun gaining weight despite eating very very little. Some days nothing at all - other days the equivalent of a snack. I would find that I would get munchies right before bed(when I was good and drunk and/or out of booze) and then cheese and crackers would come out. When I add up the calories of my average drinking days it's a wonder I am not obese......but now that I am sobering up(this is Day 8), my appetite is returning to a healthy normal level and the bloating is going away...and I've already dropped a few pounds. Go SOBRIETY!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Matt M

I'd never have breakfast during the week and wouldn't eat anything until I got home, so i'd basically i'd just eat at 6.30pm and then not eat again until the same time the following day.

It got to the point where seeing other people eat really annoyed me, especially the girls in work who just didn't stop eating all day.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The whole thing took about a week for the physical symptoms, then I started eating, then I had a seizure at the library and woke up in the ER, I've been good since then lol.