Notices

A thought...

Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A thought...

If a new drug was invented that would turn you into a "normal drinker", would you take it? Why? How much would you be willing to pay for it?

For the sake of confusion, I based the definition of "normal drinker" off of the mayo clinic's website on what is moderate, healthy alcohol consumption:

"If you choose to drink alcohol, do so only in moderation. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger.

Examples of one drink include:

Beer: 12 fluid ounces (355 milliliters)
Wine: 5 fluid ounces (148 milliliters)
Distilled spirits (80 proof): 1.5 fluid ounces (44 milliliters)"

One drink each day for women. Two drinks for men, unless you're older than 65.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't take it. My brain would still somehow convince me that 10 beers was normal. It's all or none for me and I wouldn't believe any meds could make me stop that way of thinking. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Yes I would. I am pretty much over ever wanting to drink again but some insurance against a relapse would be nice. Alcohol doesn't interest normal drinkers they way it does when you are abusing it.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's sort of like asking what one would do if they won the lottery or found a magic genie that would grant 3 wishes. A whimsical/fun game but not reality.

If I could permanently alter my brain so that I was no longer an addict, of course I would. But I would not take a pill every day just so I could drink moderately. It's easier to just not drink at all.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The problem is I always drank for the buzz or the drunk feeling, so if "normal" is having a few drinks and having the ability to stop after I have reached a threshold, that wouldn't be enough after a while for the desired effect, the pill would have to sort out that part of my brain process also.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Yes I would. I am pretty much over ever wanting to drink again but some insurance against a relapse would be nice. Alcohol doesn't interest normal drinkers they way it does when you are abusing it.
I completely agree with this, and it's what always leaves me on the fence about it. Would I take it so I could drink again? The answer for me on that is no. Other than a buzz and an escape I didn't really get anything out of alcohol. But I'd take it so my AV would shut up. In other words I might still end up abstinent anyway. But I don't think I'd pay anything for it. Plus, I know it wouldn't solve my problems in the end.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That's sort of like asking what one would do if they won the lottery or found a magic genie that would grant 3 wishes. A whimsical/fun game but not reality.

If I could permanently alter my brain so that I was no longer an addict, of course I would. But I would not take a pill every day just so I could drink moderately. It's easier to just not drink at all.
You're right, it's a philosophical question. Interesting, nonetheless. I'd love to hear some more answers.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely. Why wouldn't I? People take pills to regulate their blood pressure, their thyroid, cholesterol, heart function, why not to eliminate addiction?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drink a couple drinks and stop my anxiety gos threw the roof its like Im breaking out in some kind of rash.What happens when you want to drink and you did not take your pill I would be convinced Id be ok then blam wasted.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Would you then become addicted to the pill? If my only goal in recovery was sobriety then yes. However, sobriety opened up the doors to recovery and recovery has awakened me to an entirely different dimension of life. This new life does not need to get altered from substances even in moderation.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
If a new drug was invented that would turn you into a "normal drinker", would you take it? Why? How much would you be willing to pay for it?
I wouldn't take it, because alcohol was never my problem to begin with. I always felt less then, I never fit in anywhere, I was always anxious, irritable and discontent, full of fear, doubt and insecurity......... then I picked up a drink.

So for this alcoholic, alcohol was never the problem, Living Life on Life's terms was always my problem, living inside my own head listening the chatter of the committee telling me that I just wasn't good enough.

So I was drinking to get confidence from a bottle, until I lost the ability to choose to NOT drink. So it was alcohol that gave me wings to fly, then alcohol took away the sky

If it weren't for alcohol and becoming an alcoholic, I have no idea where I would be today. It was this wonderful Program of AA, the 12 Steps and all of these wonderful AA members who took me under their wing and helped me to work, apply and practice the 12 Steps in my life. They suggested that I ask God for help on daily basis and to trust that the only ones who have to know, like and approve of me.....is God and Me

So no, I wouldn't take a drink today, even if I could drink in safety......which I can't, so why play mind games with a disease that wants me dead?

I am so grateful to be an Alcoholic who is sober, happy and free, what a gift that I received in AA and all I have to do to keep it....is give it away!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Recovery to me is just reverting back to who I was before the alcohol took me over. An older and wiser version of me but just me. If we all became normal drinkers we would have no desire to abuse alcohol the way we did. The effect would not be there. So it would not be so much as to get away with drinking but remove the possibility of abusing it. My husband is a 50 year old normal drinker. He drinks maybe once or twice a year and in 22 years I have never seen him drunk.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Recovery to me is just reverting back to who I was before the alcohol took me over.
The problem that I would have with that for myself is this.... the person before Recovery IS the person who drank. So I don't want to revert back to that person. When I came into AA, I had to change that person that I brought through those doors of AA, one step at a time, one day at a time.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful

No because I would somehow "conveniently" forget to take my pill when I wanted to get hammered.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No, I wouldn't because I believe some things come down to principle. My brain enjoyed the constant buzz, the inebriation of it all. The biggest thrill I got was staring at a full 12 pack of really good beer and knowing how I was going to enjoy it. All of it.

I don't know that something telling my brain I was satisfied at 2 beers would help the underlying mental impulses I have for heavy recreational use. Again, my motivation to quit had it's reasons that should not be ignored regardless, so it comes down to a choice that I have consciously made to not imbibe.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If a pill would eliminate the cravings and the obsession to get plastered, and be able to go out with people and have one or two drinks like they do, and be satisfied with that, than sure, I'd take it, but I also know there are reasons why I drank in the first place, so I would still continue with therapy to help me work on those issues.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So if the pill only allows you to enjoy one or two drinks, how are you going to feel stuck at a bar and your two drinks are up and all your friends start taking shots, and ordering more drinks, deciding to get a bottle if champagne, etc. I would then turn my envy of people who can moderate, to people who are allowed to keep going! Id rather not even start. Just a tease.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucie29 View Post
So if the pill only allows you to enjoy one or two drinks, how are you going to feel stuck at a bar and your two drinks are up and all your friends start taking shots, and ordering more drinks, deciding to get a bottle if champagne, etc. I would then turn my envy of people who can moderate, to people who are allowed to keep going! Id rather not even start. Just a tease.
I'

I'm not saying that the pill would only allow you to have one or two drinks, but that that's all you would want, like most normal drinkers. I don't think most normal drinkers would want to hang around people that are taking shots, ordering more drinks and getting hammered. I was thinking more of going out with family or friends to a dinner or maybe people having a barbecue or something along those lines, not hanging around a bar with people getting plastered. That's what I meant.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I 'd have to say absolutely NO, because,
NO amount of alcohol would make me feel
or act normal.

Being under the influence of any kind of
drug or alcohol makes me STUPID and
IRRESPONSIBLE.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me, this question made me think of why I actually drank and what the difference is between a normal drinker, and an alcoholic. It seems there are some deep seeded issues going on with the alcoholic. Like AA says, drinking is only a symptom.

After what I've been through, I think I'd take the pill so I wouldn't have the urge to drink again. Because I don't think normal drinkers have those urges. But I still wouldn't want to drink.

This also reinforces for me why I'd never want to try to moderate. Because... what's the point? If I could only have 1 drink a night then there's no point in drinking for me. What's 1 drink going to do? I don't get it... hence the reason I'm obviously not a normal drinker. Why would I even TRY to moderate?