Notices

A thought...

Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I would not take it. I never actually liked the taste of any alcohol. If I had to choose a beverage on taste alone..I love Coke. I'd choose it every time. Alcohol made me feel something from the 1st time I had it. SO if I were not going to get drunk, which one drink would not do, I'd rather have the Coke.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

If I had cancer and there was a pill that would leave me completely free of cancer, I'd take it. If I had diabetes and a pill would take care of it, I'd take it. If I had MS and a pill would take care of it, I'd take it. I don't see any difference with alcoholism. If I had any disease and a pill would end the problem, I'd take it.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I accept myself for who I am. I don't need alcohol to change the way that I feel about myself or those around me. The more comfortable that I am with myself the more at ease I am with others.

I don't need or want to drink anymore. There are so many things that I can do to replace the buzz that alcohol gave me. Exercise, a drink of club soda, a nice latte, a beautiful sunset, a beautiful woman. Looking in the mirror and seeing a healthy person. These simple things in life are addictive. Pretending to be something that I am not attracts the wrong kind of people to me.

I remember in the late 80s, during one of my sobrieties, I would sit in a bar and drink non-alcoholic beer. What on earth was the point of that? That was insanity. Trying to fit in someplace where I didn't need to be.

I'm grateful that I accept who I am and that I don't need to drink anymore.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I've decided that I don't think I'd take it. I don't feel like I need to change anything in my life. I'm not perfect nor is my life. Alcoholism has been the hardest thing I've ever faced in my entire life. It's a part of me. It makes me who I am. I feel like if there was a magic pill or a wand that could turn me into a normal drinker it'd be almost like I'd end up cheating myself of something.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yes.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
I've decided that I don't think I'd take it. I don't feel like I need to change anything in my life. I'm not perfect nor is my life. Alcoholism has been the hardest thing I've ever faced in my entire life. It's a part of me. It makes me who I am. I feel like if there was a magic pill or a wand that could turn me into a normal drinker it'd be almost like I'd end up cheating myself of something.
Interesting points, but than I got to thinking about people that take Prozac and drugs like that. The purpose of those drugs is to change the brain chemistry of that person, reducing the depression and anxiety the person is dealing with; thus becoming a new person so to speak. Please don't take this as arguing, I just think it's an interesting topic and a real thought provoker. Cool thread!!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Lulu, i totally understand your original question of your hypothetical pill. i guess it would just boot the AV right out of your head.

on occasion, that would be nice. if the med had no side effects it would be like an insurance policy. then again, if you ran out would you be left dealing with old AV, and have had fallen out of practice?

boy, this is a neat device for thinking about addiction. i do think about it alot.

i believe that like most human behaviors there is a big chicken/egg grey area with the "why" of addiction. I personally think that there are many variables that get one started down a path that starts causing damage. All that aside, its usually (not always) when people start using their DOC to cope with adversity that the hooks set in.

people with no history of substance issues just dont think of chemical release when faced with something nasty. because its never been part of their toolbox. many of us remember a time when our chosen chemical WORKED. you just cant forget such things, especially on a subconscious level. -hence, all the strategies.

wouldnt it be great if the miracle-med also wiped all that out of your nogg?!