Notices

Anxiety after detox

Old 08-02-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety after detox

Dear Members,
I am new here and would really like to hear the member's experiences that may be similar to mine.
Background: I've been an occasional drinker for years with no problems, I could stop for days, weeks, months without any symptoms.
I had some traumatic events about 8 months ago and (as you expect) I started going heavy. It started hurting me so I decided to stop for good. I went through the first 4-5 days of hell with moderate symptoms, then days 6 and 7 were rather hell. I used 5mg diazepam 3 times a day for 3 days and by day 9 I was fine, just very weak. On days 10 and 11 I could even do some light exercise and I've been eating well.
And here comes the question: anxiety hit me on day 12 like a hammer and had to take 10mg diazepam which helped. Today is day 13 and I have soem anxiety but not bad enough to take medication (I am afraid to get hooked on diazepam). Have any of you experienced returning anxiety after the initial detox, and if yes, did it subside on its own? I've been searching the net for hours but couldn't really find a real answer. I read about PAWS but it wasn't mentioned whether medication is needed during PAWS or not? Plus, wouldn't I be too early for PAWS?
Please share your experiences, I feel really lost and just by not knowing what to expect my anxiety is even worse. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I felt very anxious especially in early recovery. Things started to settle and little bit and then boom right back again. This was pretty consistant in the first 3 months. Even at 6 months I went thru a period of being anxious, depressed and very fatigue.

I abused my body for so long that it is no wonder I went up and down like this. Honestly, it did pass. If you are really concerned see your doctor. But feeling like you do can be pretty common in early sobriety. Just hang in there!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

I am on day 35 of sobriety after drinking daily and heavily for about 8 years. I have been surprised that even after more than a month I am still feeling somewhat anxious. There is a 20 minute or so window every evening where I literally pace around the house. I try to breathe deeply and sometimes lay down. After about 20 minutes I go back to feeling okay and somewhat at peace. I detoxed on my own and haven't used medication but looking back I probably should have.

I thought that after a month I would feel centered and calm, so this has been a surprise. I didn't realize how much I had damaged my brain and nervous system until I stopped. Everything was out of whack when I stopped but I can tell you that 35 days in things are calming down. If I think back to how I felt on days one to three, the anxiety I feel now, even during my 20 minutes of panic every evening, the anxiety is 85 percent better.

Many of us have done some serious damage to our bodies and brains. One thing I know for absolutely sure is that with continued sobriety things will calm down.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for the answers, guys! The length of anxiety symptoms sure is scary, but as long as the anxiety subsides on its own (without the need for medication), that's promising!
This being my first (and last!!) withdrawal, I know very little and the net has some contradicting info, so hearing from people with real experience is the best thing!
Another question: at day 13, is it possible that I am out of the real "danger zone", that is, going into dts or developing life-threatening symptoms? I read that the actual detox period is about 10 days.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just a note about my above question about the "danger zone"... I'm sorry if it sounded like asking for 'medical advise', I know that is not appropriate here. I just thought that many members went through withdrawal and probably had discussions with their doctors and had experience with the timeline of the process and just wanted to ask to kindly share their experience/knowledge. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

diazpams hit the same receptors as alcohol be careful how much you take Im withdrawing from them right now its not easy very slow process
Old 08-03-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, dsmaxis10, yes, I am trying to stay away from diazepam as much as possible and that's why I asked the members if in their experience, anxiety attacks would subside on their own without medication after the initial detox. LadyinBC and MelindaFlowers gave some encouraging answers saying that in their personal experience, these episodes do pass on their own.
I am still interested in members experience whether after (now) 14 days is it possible that I am beyond the danger of life-threatening phase (seizures, dts, etc.) - not asking for medical advice just personal experiences. Thank you all! I greatly appreciate your answers!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hey Dave333,

My family practitioner (DR.) said she wouldn't treat me for alcohol abuse until I had 10 days sobriety. Interpret this as you wish. Good Luck. Resolv
Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Resolv,
That sounds pretty rough... Wouldn't the worst symptoms happen in the first 1-10 days of withdrawal?? Sure did for me.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

my anxiety was awful i climbed the walls for well over 6 months somewhere around 8-10 months it eased up some. Its still been bad ever since but at this point my anxiety can be managed my keeping my life in order and balanced. I cant take on as much as i once could the anxiety gets too great but I can live a pretty good life so long as i stay within certain boundaries.

Initially tho It didnt matter what i did and the boundaries where not in place yet so I was a mess. I also did it without meds. I couldnt find a doc to perscribe me anything and my luck I woulda just gotten hooked on that too.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, zjw! Let me ask you: when you had your anxiety attacks (and used no meds) did they easy up after a few hours on their own? That's my main concern. I am willing to deal with the anxiety as long as there is a chance that they subside after a while without meds. Did you have them daily, and if yes, what periods? Also, may I ask your background (how long and how much were you using before withdrawal)? I really, really appreciate your sharing!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

I drank like a fish at least 15 beers a night and if that didnt knock me down I'd drink more or reach for wtvr else was available. I'd wake up a mess and generally not drink till after 5pm each day tho some days I had to start earlier or have one at lunch to take the edge off.

My anxiety didnt last for a few hours each day it was 24/7 on edge of a cliff type anxiety for months after i quit. I was a wreck. I dont recall getting a break unless i was sleeping. I drank a lot of herbal teas they seemed to help or at least i told myself they where helping.

I also tried a lot of various supplements some good some not as good. It honestly didnt ease up till 8-10 months later.

after the first year i still had bouts but i got better at coping and calming myself down etc...

now at 3 years sober I try and keep my life real easy. I try not to bite off more then i can chew. I keep it simple etc.. and things go well I also stick to a daily routine etc.. I have a good diet and i exercise. I run a lot and that really helps matters if i miss a day of running i can climb the walls again some.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I drank like a fish at least 15 beers a night and if that didnt knock me down I'd drink more or reach for wtvr else was available. I'd wake up a mess and generally not drink till after 5pm each day tho some days I had to start earlier or have one at lunch to take the edge off.

My anxiety didnt last for a few hours each day it was 24/7 on edge of a cliff type anxiety for months after i quit. I was a wreck. I dont recall getting a break unless i was sleeping. I drank a lot of herbal teas they seemed to help or at least i told myself they where helping.

I also tried a lot of various supplements some good some not as good. It honestly didnt ease up till 8-10 months later.

after the first year i still had bouts but i got better at coping and calming myself down etc...

now at 3 years sober I try and keep my life real easy. I try not to bite off more then i can chew. I keep it simple etc.. and things go well I also stick to a daily routine etc.. I have a good diet and i exercise. I run a lot and that really helps matters if i miss a day of running i can climb the walls again some.
Thanks for the reply! I really admire your strength! Anxiety at that level for months 24/7 would drive anybody to relapse or worse. I cannot even imagine how you could endure it, how you could live life, do work, function. Honestly, it scared me quite a bit because I don't think I would have that strength. I do run myself and while running, I don't feel the anxiety but of course one cannot run 24/7...