Notices

Seizure last night...

Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seizure last night...

After having a seizure last night 1st one. Im 32. Doctor said it was alcohol withdrawal. Advised to stay for head scan?! I declined did not want to wait 24, also said that the neurologist might not approve the scan in the hospital since it is "alcohol related" withdrawal issue.

Gave me prescription for librium. Said if i see any other seizure acitivty to come to hospital straight away. After the seizure yesterday, when i went to hospital today after giving me librium they did not observe any seizure related activity.. He also said it might of been pre-not full seizure whatever that means.

I have no family history of seizures. He also gave me the option of coming back to hospital today, or go to my doc to give me referall "just in case". The seizure if it was, it was in bed so luckily i didnt hit anything hard...I ll take my librium today and see how i feel.

Question: If you a had a seizure once, or you most likely to have it again (If its alcohol related) Just like for example you had a heart attack, you might have one again.. Or does it not work that when it comes to alcohol fit (No medical advice, i know but would like advice) Or maybe someone can tell me what happened after their first seizure, and they quit complete. Did something happen? Thanks...Sorry for the long rant
Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Luke

I think that's a medical question that only a Dr should answer.

In any case what happened to me or someone else may have no bearing at all on your future.

Go to your own Dr or find one you trust, explain what happened & get a full physical

D
Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

And don't even think of drinking while taking libirium!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ask your Dr. these questions.

What bothers me the most is that you never once in your post made mention of your plans to quit drinking. Do you want to quit? What are your plans? You sure as heck won't have a withdrawal related seizure if you don't drink again.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please take care of yourself Luke. Drink lots of water, eat if you can and try to get as much rest as possible. My husband had alcohol withdrawal seizures on several occasions. Sometimes it was just one but on other occasions he had 3 in one night. The problem I suppose is that everyone's different but not drinking again will hopefully mean that you will never have another seizure. One thing I do know is if you keep drinking the seizures become more severe, I witnessed this happening over a 5 year period and it was terrible.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a seizure once due to alcohol, but I was lucky enough to be in a treatment center that was located in a hospital. Still have a scar on my forehead from hitting a kitchen counter while going down. Anyway, they ran some tests and everything was fine, but just in case they gave me some type of medication (don't remember the name), for the next several months that would help to make sure I wouldn't get another one. Only seizure I had.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You had the opportunity to ask these questions of the doctor.

...."Whatever that means"....if you don't understand what something means, please ask your Doctor. It's your right to know.

This is your health. Pretty serious stuff.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your question can only be answered by a doctor or someone with medical expertise in that area but whatever the answer is, I think having a seizure from alcohol withdrawal is a sign you've hit the end of the road and it's time to turn around. No more drinking. Period.

Easier said than done but you'll find support here. Hope you're doing better today and continue to improve over the next week or so. Be sure to make a follow up appointment with a doctor to discuss any other concerns you have about what has happened.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi luke;

I notice you have tried to quit several times since Feb 2012.

I found each time I tried to quit my withdrawal was worse.
Google PAWS syndrome to get more info on this.

Sounds like this really needs to be the last time.

It can be if you are fully committed--life is much better sober.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You gotta stay safe Luke, a Dr is the best way to go to get checked out!!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Hope this doesn't go against the no medical advice rule, but...
Alcohol Withdrawal: Symptoms, Treatments, Duration, and More

Yes, individuals who have withdrawal seizures are more likely to have them again (I'm not a doc, you can find this fact over and over on the internet). I had seizures from withdrawals once, and on a subsequent visit to the ER that seemed to worry the doctor the most. The Librium will help. It makes most of the worse withdrawal symptoms diminish by around 80% in my opinion. Taken correctly, it can also lower the chance of seizures.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. No of course im not planning to drink again. I think this was my wake up call, and perhaps i needed that 1st seizure to say Luke enough is enough.

My question was not for any members to be Nostradamus, my question was if i had a seizure once due to alcohol withdrawal, if i completely stop drinking is there a chance i wont have them at all anymore if i dont drink, or am i scarred for life with epilepsy and monthly seizures?! I mean if i break my ankle that doesnt mean i will break it again right?

Actually i did go back to hospital, as advised by doctor..The neurologist/s were debating and taken my history/what happened, decided not to give me a head scan, he determined head scan was not needed because i did not hit any objects, the seizure occured on bed, and had no headaches,migraines etc, and my blood work, EKG etc was perfectly fine.. He just said Luke sorry. Alcohol Withdrawal seizure nothing less nothing more.

Im taking my Librium as prescribed, drinking water, orange juice. Feel kind of down, but thats normal after reading PAWNS
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by luke13 View Post
Question: If you a had a seizure once, or you most likely to have it again (If its alcohol related) Just like for example you had a heart attack, you might have one again.. Or does it not work that when it comes to alcohol fit (No medical advice, i know but would like advice) Or maybe someone can tell me what happened after their first seizure, and they quit complete. Did something happen? Thanks...Sorry for the long rant
I had many, all during alcohol withdrawl. Shook life a leaf. Sometimes in bed, sometimes not so much; ended up shaking on floor. Passed out sometimes. Came to in ambulance or hospital sometimes. Generaly the more/longer I drank before stopping, the worse they were. Haven't had any since I quit. Librium definitely takes the edge off withdrawl, less unpleasant. Don't count on it, just quit. Does that help?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
I had many, all during alcohol withdrawl. Shook life a leaf. Sometimes in bed, sometimes not so much; ended up shaking on floor. Passed out sometimes. Came to in ambulance or hospital sometimes. Haven't had any since I quit. Librium definitely takes the edge off withdrawl, less unpleasant. Don't count on it, just quit.
Thanks, doesnt mean i wont have another one if i quit completely, but at least it gives me some peace of mind by your post. That if i stop there is a big chance i wont have a seizure again. That is basically what i wanted to hear,that it could/will get better
Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would just look at it as a

GOD given message to stop doing what I am doing

MM

No medical advice intended
Old 07-29-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
gluelicker.

I only had one alcohol related seizure and it was at the end of a withdrawal. Definitely continue seeking medical attention, but start thinking about how you can recover long-term (ie counseling, therapy, 12.Step, SMART) . I kept going back to drinking because my plan was to "just stop drinking". That didn't fare out so hot and I got a lot worse problems than seizures after that.

Many blessings to you and your heath! Keep going, you're doing the right thing!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by ang3line View Post
I got a lot worse problems than seizures after that.
Ditto that!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Matt M

I had a seizure a few years back and then had two more in hospital on the same day.

I've had none since even tho i've drank heavily on and off.
But sometimes when I hadn't drank for a while i'd get the racing heart and flashing images in my head every time I shut my eyes, and the same feeling I had before I had the seizures before.
It's not nice.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your seizure. I can't give medical predictions in your case, but I can tell you what happened to me: after my first seizure, it did seem to 'open up the door'. I had two more before I decided enough was enough.

Please, quit drinking alcohol. It's done me a world of good, and I know it is the safe and right choice for you as well.