Notices

Obsessions

Old 07-16-2004, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Obsessions

I forgot to add that I have always had problems with obsessive thinking. I would get on some sort of kick about SOMETHING whether it be a specific TV show or a rock star (had obsessions with both at one point). It would last maybe a couple years where I would be just totally enthralled and intense about it. It never really got in the way of daily life, like alcohol has but I'm beginning to look at my alcoholism a little more differently. Once I realized that whatever thing was occupying my brain at the moment wasn't healthy...I would sorta feel foolish and decide that I've had enough. I just wish that drinking could be that easy. But, it does help to think how this has been a pattern and that I have to break it to live totally free and happy.
This is meant to be. I guess having something to obsess about that would actually make my life unmanageable allows me to see what too much of anything can do to you. Strange how I was so blinded at the time though. Well, I guess not strange...but "normal" for me. I used to actually think that it would be fun to be known as "Danielle...madly in love with so and so". It's like it gave me an identity. Oh well.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This disease is definately about more than just drinking. We need to learn WHY we drink. We need to learn to accept things for the way they are. We need to change our way of thinking. We learn these things by working the 12 steps.
sherry
Old 07-16-2004, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Good post Danielle. I have come to understand that obsession is central to my problems with addiction. I had to understand that if I think about using a substance long enough, I do it. And once I start, well, we all know here that ends up.
The NA Basic Text has several good chapters on obsession.
Seems like you're on to something Danielle