Notices

What do you do during the down times?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do during the down times?

What do you do when you're in an emotional/mental funk? Not really wanting to drink but just feeling angst, low motivation, and mild depression. Do you just wait it out-as in this too shall pass. Or is there actions you take to pick yourself up?

I am in AA so I know some of those solutions- go to a meeting, call someone. Just wondering what others do. Thanks
Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsober View Post
What do you do when you're in an emotional/mental funk? Not really wanting to drink but just feeling angst, low motivation, and mild depression. Do you just wait it out-as in this too shall pass. Or is there actions you take to pick yourself up?

I am in AA so I know some of those solutions- go to a meeting, call someone. Just wondering what others do. Thanks
Right now Im in kind of a funk myself since I drank yesterday. Have you considered going out for a walk, getting some exercise.. that always helps me. I love to cook, so I find going to the grocery store and looking for something new to cook helps as well.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Eat bacon. Have you ever seen anyone look sad while they are eating bacon?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read a book.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

stand on my head in a kilt and whistle at times when i am low
it does absolutely nothing at all to help so i end up going to a meeting instead
Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

to really take my mind off certain thoughts, heck practically all other thoughts , I go for the f word, fiction
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I grab my ipod and go for a long walk in the fresh air!! Sorts me out every time!!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What do you do when you're in an emotional/mental funk?...feeling angst, low motivation, and mild depression.
I take my moods in stride. My faith usually carries me through, and prayer makes the burden bearable. Then again, I've not felt so low that I needed to "lift" myself up. I always knew that the feeling will pass and be replaced with more positive ones.

One thing I try not to do is wallow in my depression, which is what I did when I drank.

A gratitude list may put things in perspective for you. All the things you have to be thankful for. And meditate on how tough life is for so many. I usually come away realizing how lucky I am now that I'm sober.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Be kind to yourself because we all have
our highs and lows. Or you could call it
the ebb and flow of life.

It's amazing how good I feel when the
sun comes out after a day of rain. My
emotional state perks up. Even tho we
do need rain, and I love to sit outside
and watch it water my gardens and pretty
flowers. But too much clouds, rain, makes
me feel gloomy.

Sometimes just telling myself as you know,
This Too Shall Pass.

We went to Daytona in March and was a
nice get away since we stayed home the
yr. before to do some home projects. Now,
here we are in July and working on more
home projects and had planned to ride thru
Smokey Mts and Blue Ridge Prky in Oct. to
see the leaves change colors, but looks like
we will have to wait.

Soooooo.... a little bit of disappointment,
glum, but we know we WILL RIDE our Harley
sometime soon and God Willing take that
next exciting trip.

Emotions, mental, physical, spiritual progress
in recovery all have to be tweeked from time
to time. See a physician if needed, that's what
they are there for. Faith for spiritual. Exercise,
proper nutrition all to help keep our insides
ticking properly.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I get moving- walk, bike anything but sitting around.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Volunteer work, I volunteer at the local food bank and if I am feeling like blah...I get off my butt and go see how I can be of service. It gets me off my self centered merry go round. I know there is only one short step between that angst and the pity pot and I just cannot stand self pity (especially in myself). For me that's the worst feeling, when I irritate the heck out of myself.
Volunteering is like a gratitude list in action.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

i try not to stay idle. I try and move forward with my routine and what i have to do despite how i feel. I try desperately to recognize when i'm in those states of mind as soon as possible and try and claw my way out of them. I can normally get out in a days time. But that was not always the case. I used to stay in a funk for weeks and months and heck i guess even years. I could allow those funks to take control of me and throw me into the gutter. Now I try and take control I go for a run i get occupied doing something to take my mind off things. I try to think happy thoughts.

I saw a documentary on kenyan runners. and one did not win the race. rather then sitting around in a pit of depression he just shrugged his shoulders and thought oh well tommorrow I'll set a new world record or something. He said you cant let that stuff get you just let it roll off your back and move on. That was some of the best advice and such I had heard he was very non chalant about it. its this oh well this stuff happens move on.

But its not always so easy. Sometimes I end up going to bed in a funk and think oh well it was just a bad day its done now tommorrow will be better.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Sit quietly with it. Don't think about it, just notice how you feel. Go deeper into it. Really get to what it is that you are feeling. Savor it. Find out if it is really as bad as you think or maybe you just needed to shed some light on it.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Video Games! Meditation! Walk my dogs! Sleep!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Check my calendar to make sure I didn't take my meds today. Then, take meds.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks! Amazing how many great responses in such a short time. Just knowing others go through this helps.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think there are (at least) two types of "low": the occasional, transient "normal" mood swings, and when we are hitting a stubborn wall in our recovery/self-work.

The transient mood swings are easier to treat of course, the suggestions above target those primarily, I think. I also like to distract myself with a walk or other exercise, good food, good conversation, reading, meditation, etc. The more stubborn resistance is usually due to some underlying issues surfacing and affecting us and I think it's important to address them one way or another otherwise they are unlikely to completely disappear. These can be making more serious adjustments in lifestyle, starting new programs of recovery, fixing professional or relationship issues, therapy - whatever, according to the nature of the problem. I am personally in a phase like that right now where I don't feel as positive as I did during a few months period earlier, so I am trying new things, even started new medication that I never tried before.

So, I would say it depends on the nature of the dip.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'll go to a meeting or another kind action (for example take care of something which I have been putting off.)

Mood swings are part of life and as long as I realize I'm just in a funk and/or mildly depressed I can get through it.

Action is always the key for me.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

this sounds really weird but when i get in a bad funk I turn on Full House reruns...its such a cheesy show but something about it reminds me when i was a kid and simpler times...it's like a time machine..and ignorance is bliss...i mean the show seems to be on all night

i also watch that King of Queens show..both happy go lucky shows so far from reality
Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When I'm feeling that kind of angst and low motivation I usually make a cup of tea or coffee. Then I read. And if I can coax myself into it, I'll get on the exercise bike and sweat for about 30 minutes, followed by a relaxing shower. Sometimes getting outside in the fresh air for a walk really does wonders. Playing with my cats and hearing them purr, that helps too.