Notices

So Frustrated Right Now

Old 07-28-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post
Alcohol was great at first but now it's gonna kill me. I'm gonna stop today and use the benzos for help.
Make sure the benzos are very temporary and do talk to an MD. Oh ,yeah... AA meetings ASAP! You are quite right, alcohol wants you dead and it will get it's way if you don't stop it. It'll torture you first, then kill you!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First of all sorry Sudz No More for offending you.

It has been a long hot day and I'm exhausted. Saw my therapist. Mentioned if I should just stop and as expected he said it's not a good idea and told me about the bad stuff that can happen. We talked for a while, then he moved on to make a tapering plan that lasted two weeks. I did not like it at all. I said I want to stop drinking full stop, I'm sick of it. I mentioned stopping fully and detoxing my self in the past. Told him I have the benzos to help.

He was very understanding and said at the end of day it's your choice. He said I cant recommend it because of NHS policy but off the record if you think you can do it with the benzos it's up to you. I told him i am adament to do it and the benzos will help. He gave me some off the record advice and that he will be calling me everyday to check up on me. He said any sign of problems I should get help immediately. He's a really good guy and I feel like I don't want to let him down.

The liver test at the clinic isn't going to happen. I'm going to my GP to get that done. Also I am going to look into groups that I can go to for help. I don't know much about AA and have heard opposing views about it but maybe I will try it out.

I'm still scared about going through treatment and this whole process, but I can't live like this any more. Alcohol was great at first but now it's gonna kill me. I'm gonna stop today and use the benzos for help.
You mentioned yesterday that you were going to come clean with your GP today after the lab results came back. I would suggest that you make that phone call now just so he is aware as well, it sounds like you are getting some questionable advice from your therapist. At the very least he needs to know that you are stopping today so that he can make sure the prescriptions you have are appropriate.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The way it works here is that when you see a doctor they refer you to an alcohol clinic. Then the alcohol clinic refers you to appropriate help. I was taken to an organisation by a friend that offers one to one support in the form of basic counselling. They sent me to the alcohol clinic who sent me to therapy where I am now. I will see a doctor for a full medical and be frank with them, but I've already gone through the channels that the doctor would have sent me to.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It's all good Captain, I'm glad you are making some concrete steps towards your recovery.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You mentioned yesterday that you were going to come clean with your GP today after the lab results came back. I would suggest that you make that phone call now just so he is aware as well, it sounds like you are getting some questionable advice from your therapist. At the very least he needs to know that you are stopping today so that he can make sure the prescriptions you have are appropriate.
I don't remember saying that? There are no lab results that came back, I said best case scenario I could have my results on Tuesday. But the clinic no longer do the test, I have to go to my GP. And I can't just see my GP "today" I have to make an appointment. Also to clear up a source of confusion when I have mentioned seeing "my GP" I have been referring to my GP surgery. At this surgery there are many doctors (as opposed to only 3 at my last one) and when you make an appointment you can get given any doctor. You can request a particular doctor of your choice but your appointment could take longer. That's how it works here. I've only been once and didn't have a rapport with the doctor I saw. I'm going to ring up tomorrow and make an appointment and request a different doctor.

My therapist does know I'm stopping today and he knows I have 1 mg diazepam, and that's what they prescribe over here in the UK for alcohol withdrawal.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

EndGame, would you elaborate on this more?

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I don't know how it's different over there, but your therapist shouldn't be either condoning or recommending a tapering regimen, unless he's a psychiatrist.
I find this disturbing. A psychiatrist can recommend a tapering type of detox, while a therapist could be sued for doing the same? How does it work in practical terms, then? I thought in quite a few cases a patient would see both a psychiatrist and a therapist. If they are dissonant in their methods, where does that lead to?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The way it works here is that when you see a doctor they refer you to an alcohol clinic. Then the alcohol clinic refers you to appropriate help. I was taken to an organisation by a friend that offers one to one support in the form of basic counselling. They sent me to the alcohol clinic who sent me to therapy where I am now. I will see a doctor for a full medical and be frank with them, but I've already gone through the channels that the doctor would have sent me to.
What's important is that you stop drinking, and it sounds like that is your plan today. I would caution that you keep your GP's number handy in case you need help, you did mention that you were going to come clean with him last Friday but you chose not to. There would be nothing wrong with you calling his office directly to explain that.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by haennie View Post

I find this disturbing. A psychiatrist can recommend a tapering type of detox, while a therapist could be sued for doing the same? How does it work in practical terms, then? I thought in quite a few cases a patient would see both a psychiatrist and a therapist. If they are dissonant in their methods, where does that lead to?
I didn't describe this as well as I might have.

In consultation with a psychiatrist or other MD, a therapist is on solid ground in participating in the detox regimen. On his or her own, however, (and knowing that the patient will not consult with an MD) recommending either tapering or an at-home medical detox is beyond the purview of their legal competency.

If the patient follows the therapist's recommendations -- again with the therapist fully aware that the patient is not and will not be consulting with an MD -- and something goes wrong in the detox, then the therapist is thereby legally liable for the consequences that the patient may have suffered.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My therapist does know I'm stopping today and he knows I have 1 mg diazepam, and that's what they prescribe over here in the UK for alcohol withdrawal.
Then it sounds like you're all set to do what needs to be done until you're over the physical withdrawl in a few days. I would recommend having a plan for beyond that because that is only the very beginning of overcoming addiction permanently.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are ready to quit CW--please let your GP know if you are stopping cold turkey just as back up.

My last detox was very scary and I didn't know how dangerous it could be.
That's how I found SR actually--Googling for severe detox reactions.

Please take care and keep posting so we know you are OK
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I should just say my therapist did not encourage detoxing alone. He was pushing me towards tapering. With the NHS you have 3 options: detox in hospital, detox at home under supervision or tapering. He kept asking me are you sure this is what you want to do? Its only after he knew how adamant I was that he gave me advice on how to stay safe because obviously he cares about my well being.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

obviously he cares about my well being.
Yep.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by haennie View Post

There's also a potential ethical issue in such cases. If my patient tells me that he's going to do a medical detox at home, or that he's going to taper down, he's also telling me that he's placing himself in danger, embarking as he is on a potentially fatal path. What's my obligation in this case, beyond helping him to "be safe?" There may be moral and legal consequences in such a case as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
embarking as he is on a potentially fatal path.
We're all on a certainly fatal path.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
We're all on a certainly fatal path.
Which is why taking a shortcut is not always a good idea.