Notices

Advice please liver results

Old 07-22-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice please liver results

Hi I'm new here. I've been daily drinker for about 7 years now and my tolerance of alcohol was increased by this so I ended up drinking 2 bottles of wine every night. I had some bad news about 7 weeks ago and my drinking shot up. Then I became very ill, twitching muscles non stop, jerking limbs, pins and needles in my feet legs hands and arms non stop, dizziness, swollen puffy face. You name it.

Went to the doc and found out I have diabetes. 2nd blood test was on my liver function as I admitted to my drinking. I got the results on monday and they weren't good. They are in their 400's according to my doctor. He is going to repeat the test in a few weeks. He also said the liver can heal itself.

I've given up drinking totally and not touche a drop for 2 weeks straight now but the past 3 days my liver has been hurting. Just under my right breast it hurts when I sit up, cough or touch it. A sort of achy feeling not really bad. Plus (sorry men) I've been bleeding between my periods for 3 months straight.

I am taking Thiamine and Vitamin B plus I heard about the benefits of Milk Thistle so I'm getting some tomorrow.

Is it possible I can eventually recover from this? Or have I let it too late. My diabetic nurse mentioned having an ultrasound on my liver but I don't know if that''s going to happen yet.

I'm scared and know I've been so so very stupid but I have depression and agoraphobia and it was a release for me. I don't wanna die or have to have a transplant. I just want to be healthy again.

Please BTW I live in the UK
Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The liver is an amazing organ that really can heal. Keep taking care of yourself. Don't be scared of the ultrasound!

You can be healthy again. It's great you admitted what was happening so you can be correctly treated. For many with alcohol problems that is the biggest part of the battle, being honest with the doctor. Good for you.

Anxiety may be contributing to your issues also.

Take good care physically and mentally and your body will show it can do amazing things to heal.

Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
The liver is an amazing organ that really can heal. Keep taking care of yourself. Don't be scared of the ultrasound!

You can be healthy again. It's great you admitted what was happening so you can be correctly treated. For many with alcohol problems that is the biggest part of the battle, being honest with the doctor. Good for you.

Anxiety may be contributing to your issues also.

Take good care physically and mentally and your body will show it can do amazing things to heal.

Good Luck!
Thank you, I hope it does heal.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took milk thistle too and I believe it really helped.
The liver' ability to recover is amazing.

Have you checked into Paleo diet? Many people have had excellent results
with reversing diabetes--two things to check out are "Whole 30" and the website "Mark's Dailly Apple".

Lifestyle changes can really have a huge impact on the body healing iteself,
but please remember you also need to get some more help with the underlying psychological issues so that you can build the quality of life you deserve.

Good luck and welcome to SR
Old 07-22-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My MIL has cirrhosis of the liver. She had to have gallons of ascites pumped from her belly more than once and she suffered from seizures, all related to her liver damage. Well, she quit drinking a good ten years ago, and she changed her lifestyle and she is one of the most energetic, healthy 75 year olds you would ever want to meet and supposedly her liver numbers are all good now. (and she still smokes ~ not good, but she claims it is her only vice left)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I feel a bit more positive now. I will let you all know how I get on with my recovery and future tests. You just don't realise the damage yo are doing to yourself sometimes. All for a drink!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can turn this into a positive. Your life will be so much better without the drink. I am almost 10 months sober and I never want to look or go back.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum, if your still breathing there is always hope, the body is a great machine, it can repair itself if given the chance!!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your liver is a very tough organ. I was told milk thistle, evening primrose oil, licorice, selenium help. Stay dry and keep in touch with your doc.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the encouragement. I feel a lot better about things now.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You an recover from this and feel better in all departments!
But this is probably on the condition that you give up alcohol.
For good.
You can do it and read here about how others stay sober.
Putting the drink down is the start...
Not a contest, but my liver reading was 1200.
Ok now only because i have stayed sober ,so far, for a day at a time.
Be optimistic, have a plan and stick to it.
And you can and will repair.
G
Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, my liver readings were through the roof by the time i stopped drinking. I was told by the consultant that if i didn't stop i would die. It was the wake up call i needed and i haven't touched a drop since (nearly 22 months). My liver readings started to come down pretty much as soon as i stopped drinking and after several months they were in normal range. You can turn things around and recover from this. You have done the best possible thing by stopping drinking. Congrats on your two weeks!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by afloatsober View Post
You an recover from this and feel better in all departments!
But this is probably on the condition that you give up alcohol.
For good.
You can do it and read here about how others stay sober.
Putting the drink down is the start...
Not a contest, but my liver reading was 1200.
Ok now only because i have stayed sober ,so far, for a day at a time.
Be optimistic, have a plan and stick to it.
And you can and will repair.
G
I hope I don't offend but it does make me feel better knowing someone who had a higher liver reading managed to get better.

I have some questions. Did you or anyone else feel dizzy quite often at first? I'm feeling dizzy a lot. Also I'm not sleeping well at all. I'm tossing and turning and talking in my sleep. I've had halucinations at night. I see a person standing there by my bed. I also get shaky at night and just feel ill. Is that normal?

I woke up with a bad headache which I still have but I haven't taken anything for it because I'm afrid to with my liver like it is.

I'm not touching alcohol again. I also got some Milk Thistle today.

I'm not after medical advice, I'm seeing my doctor about all this with my liver. It's just nice to know what I am experiencing is a normal art of getting better and other people have been through it and come out the other side.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hayley86 View Post
Welcome, my liver readings were through the roof by the time i stopped drinking. I was told by the consultant that if i didn't stop i would die. It was the wake up call i needed and i haven't touched a drop since (nearly 22 months). My liver readings started to come down pretty much as soon as i stopped drinking and after several months they were in normal range. You can turn things around and recover from this. You have done the best possible thing by stopping drinking. Congrats on your two weeks!
Thank you Hayley. I'm not gonna drink again. I hope one day to be healthy and be able to look back on this as a positive experience. The wake up call I needed.

And well done on 22 months! That's amazing
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The sleep problems are typical of early withdrawal. It will get better. Sleep as much as you can, when you can. It will work out.

Dizziness could be because your blood pressure is low(er) than when you drank. That's a common thing.

Be sure you are drinking enough fluids and eating on a regular basis - that's really important.

I get a hung-over headache if I eat too much sugar or carbs.

Maybe you need to see your doctor again with these new symptoms.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Chigirl, I also had those liver function numbers and abnormal ultrasound results when I quit drinking. Also bleeding between periods, and no idea if that was related to drinking, but alcohol messes with our hormones big time. All normal now.

Stay sober and everything will improve
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
The sleep problems are typical of early withdrawal. It will get better. Sleep as much as you can, when you can. It will work out.

Dizziness could be because your blood pressure is low(er) than when you drank. That's a common thing.

Be sure you are drinking enough fluids and eating on a regular basis - that's really important.

I get a hung-over headache if I eat too much sugar or carbs.

Maybe you need to see your doctor again with these new symptoms.
I've seen him about it all. He said it was the diabetes. I was diagnosed at the same time they told me about my liver. I don't think I am diabetic though. They are basing it one one test but I read that a malfunctioning liver can produce high blood sugar.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

it would be a good idea to make an ob-gyno appointment to address the irregular bleeding or spotting. This could be non-alcohol related and special test or ultra sound would give you some answers and peace of mind.

blood sugar (glucose levels) are sometimes tricky to get under control...especially first thing in the morning...you might want to cut your orange juice with some water or switch to something with less sugar like tart cherry juice or grapefruit. be sure to check the numbers as they can swing from too low to too high.

it will get better and you are very smart to ask a lot of questions, especially from the docs.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Chigirl, I also had those liver function numbers and abnormal ultrasound results when I quit drinking. Also bleeding between periods, and no idea if that was related to drinking, but alcohol messes with our hormones big time. All normal now.

Stay sober and everything will improve
Thank you how long did it take you to get your liver back to normal? I know everyone is different but it will give me some idea of how long it may take me. I'm worried it may be years
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Liver is one tough, resilient, regenerating organ. I had stupid high AST/ALT liver enzymes as well when I checked myself in to a recovery center. I took milk thistle religiously for the first few months and liver enzymes dropped right back into normal range only a mere 2 mos after giving up the poison.