SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Sigh. Liver cirrhosis anxiety... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/339766-sigh-liver-cirrhosis-anxiety.html)

TheThrowaway 07-22-2014 02:16 PM

Sigh. Liver cirrhosis anxiety...

I feel like I'm losing it. Several months ago I had elevated bilirubin and was convinced my liver was failing. So I quit - completely. Since then, I have had 5 rounds of blood (all fine, bilirubin back to normal) and two liver ultrasounds which both also came back negative. Yet I'm still convinced I have end stage liver damage. Three doctors, two in hepatology, informed me that my liver is not screwed but I just can't shake it. I hear biopsy is the only way to know for SURE, but neither doctor will order one, stating that it's extremely invasive and there's no clinical evidence.

Every little 'symptom' I feel or see I attribute to liver failure. In the past two months I have felt dizzy, had weird neuropathy-like crap and my anxiety is off the charts. I just do not know what to do.

Is all of this my body healing? Am I crazy? How sneaky can liver damage be?

I am never drinking again. The anxiety of developing organ damage is way too friggin' disempowering. I just can't help but think that at 28 it's too late and that I've pooched my liver. The last four years has been fairly heavy drinking - before that, it was just weekend stuff like cottaging or parties, and even then not a whole lot.

Not sure of my point here, just want some reassurance I guess. I google too much and hear too many stories of people my age dropping dead of liver failure.

suki44883 07-22-2014 02:21 PM

The worst thing you can do is allow Dr. Google to diagnose you. You will be convinced you are dying. Calm down.

Three different doctors and two liver ultrasounds have come back negative. You do not have liver damage. However, if you are concerned about your anxiety, etc., by all means, see your doctor and explain what's going on. They can probably help you.

SoberLeigh 07-22-2014 02:23 PM

I think you need to take a leap of faith and trust your doctors on this one, TheThrowaway. I don't think that liver biopsies are performed lightly and are mostly done to confirm what abnormal blood testing results have indicated.

Good blood work plus alcohol abstinence should equal a healthy future.

least 07-22-2014 02:26 PM

You are worried needlessly. The tests came back good so you have nothing to worry about. Follow your doctors' advice on this one.

Patriciae 07-22-2014 02:37 PM

A liver biopsy is invasive and no doctor who has good ethics, would order a liver biopsy without a damn good reason.

What I would suggest is that you set up an appointment with a counselor, because it seems you are obsessively focusing on your liver, without any valid reason.

CallMeButch 07-22-2014 02:38 PM

TheThrowaway, hang in there man! I'm not going discount or invalidate what you feel about your health because it is a very personal matter and if you think there may be something, then maybe there is. Though its also possible that there isn't, which keep in mind, is a great thing! I say go for a full physical and get that biopsy if it helps relieve some of the anxiety. You and I are the same age (I'm 29) and I had been drinking since I was 14 years old. I feel very lucky and am fortunate that I have no visible signs of liver damage at this point in my life.

With that said, keep this in mind: the first few months of sobriety are (mostly) a complete whacked out head trip. The anxiety, tension, and worry that you're feeling about your liver maybe your first noticeable clue that you have long been neglecting your health in many ways. You're finally starting to see the effect that alcohol has had on your life and these forms of worry and anxiety will manifest in different ways throughout sobriety. Don't get too hung up on it, just come to terms with whatever the topic is at the time (right now its your liver) and take care of whatever it is you need to care of so you can move forward in your life. Wishing you well!

hopeful4 07-22-2014 02:44 PM

Your test results would not be coming back as they are if you needed a biopsy. Anxiety itself can make your body do some crazy things. When your body goes into fight or flight mode, it takes a full day to get back to normal, and it sounds like that is happening to you, a lot.

I would say you need to relax. You need to celebrate that you will never drink again, and don't replace it with other unhealthy habits. Exercise, it creates natural endorphins. Use breathing techniques to calm down, yes, they actually work! Just slow way down and realx.

I am happy for your sobriety and your liver is too!

mercurial me 07-22-2014 02:57 PM

The liver is an extremely tough organ (as apparently it was designed to be). Enjoy living life right now (soberly) and feel blessed that the liver is one tough organ. Just never, ever abuse that privilege:)

GreenColor 07-22-2014 03:04 PM

Several doctors and tests say your liver is fine. You ought to see a doctor about your anxiety though.

TheThrowaway 07-22-2014 04:06 PM

Hmm. Should I get an MRI or CT next? Just to confirm? Could they show different things than other tests??

least 07-22-2014 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheThrowaway (Post 4795729)
Hmm. Should I get an MRI or CT next? Just to confirm? Could they show different things than other tests??

No! You've already had several rounds of blood tests and two ultrasounds! How much more proof do you need! Relax already. :)

TheThrowaway 07-22-2014 04:16 PM

I dunno...just feel 'off'

least 07-22-2014 04:19 PM

Your anxiety is going to give you a mental ulcer!! Stop worrying!! Relax a bit. Do healthy things, like eating right and exercise. Stop worrying about your liver.

FT 07-22-2014 04:27 PM

Some organ systems are difficult to assess with blood tests, but the liver is not one of them. If your liver function tests are normal, it is highly likely your liver is healthy. It is unlikely an MRI or CT would reassure you if nothing else has.

If you feel "off," check your nutritional status -- keep a diet history for a few days and enter your food intake into a nutrition program on line. You will be able to tell if something is lacking. Medically, doctors usually check your thyroid and blood sugar if you feel "off" because the endocrine system is more likely than the hepatic system to make your symptomatic the way you describe. However, as other posters already said, anxiety can produce all sorts of unwell feelings such as jitteriness upset stomach.

My guess is you are healthy and fine and should be happy you dodged a bullet by quitting the substances that COULD lead to end stage liver failure.

doggonecarl 07-22-2014 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by TheThrowaway (Post 4795481)
I

Not sure of my point here, just want some reassurance I guess.

I assure you, if you don't believe your own doctors, you aren't to believe us...unless maybe we agree with you.

PurpleKnight 07-22-2014 04:49 PM

Focus on your Sobriety, your body will do the rest!! :)

TheThrowaway 07-22-2014 07:52 PM

That's what I'm doing - just taking my sobriety one day at a time. Hoping I will just feel better in time. I have more blood coming up so we will see.

ScottFromWI 07-22-2014 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheThrowaway (Post 4796196)
That's what I'm doing - just taking my sobriety one day at a time. Hoping I will just feel better in time. I have more blood coming up so we will see.

If you don't believe all the evidence you already have, you aren't going to believe the biopsy or any other scan at this point most likely. Your health anxiety had passed the logical stage quite some time ago. I had it too..and it's treatable, even without drugs for some. Tell your doctor or see a therapist.

ForMyGirls 07-22-2014 08:30 PM

Spooky.

EndGameNYC 07-22-2014 09:24 PM

Is worrying over physical symptoms a new development for you, or have you been down this road before?

Both alcoholism and abstinence can either provoke or aggravate symptoms of hypochondriasis, a simple but painful and costly anxiety disorder.