Notices

What's wrong with me? Anxiety!!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's wrong with me? Anxiety!!

Hi, I have been a heavy drinker for several years. I start drinking in the evening every day (5 drink avg.), start a little sooner on weekends (10 drink avg.). I have a high tolerance so not getting drunk all the time, except maybe a Friday and Sunday night here and there but definitely drinking too much overall. Typically hangovers are normal, nausea, headaches, just feel like crap but about a month ago I started having major anxiety in place of normal hangovers. I've never had anxiety or depression issues. I saw a Dr a week after it started (I have cut down my drinking since they started too) and I am apparently healthy, she just said anxiety is a funny thing and discussed long term meds but I would rather make this go away without pills.
The last week or so I had started to feel better, symptoms decreased and of course started drinking too much, not as much as before but too much I guess and of course anxiety is back.
Why does this happen?? Does this mean I need to just quit drinking? It's hard cause a couple drinks in the evening make the symptoms go away.
Symptoms are chest discomfort, tingly arms/hands/(lips/face at its worst) feeling like I want to jump out of my skin. If I keep myself busy I don't notice them.
TIA
Old 07-22-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site!

If you read around these forums, anxiety is a big topic.

Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. As it leaves your system, your nervous system is trying to level out. It feels like anxiety since you have depressed your nervous system with alcohol.

Your heart races, which feels like anxiety. Your blood pressure goes up - feels like anxiety. Anxiety is caused by and temporarily relieved by alcohol. That is the Catch 22, and that is the cycle of addiction.

Yes, stop drinking and after a couple months notice the changes in how you feel. The first month is tough, just accept that and keep going.

No sense getting pills for anxiety while you are drinking. Does your doctor know how much you are drinking?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is very normal for a hard drinker/alcoholic! And it SUCKS! I feel ya. I'd rather take a nausea migraine hangover any day over the all consuming anxiety which became my life in my alcoholism. Try taking some time off of drinking, if you can, and you will see, it gets better. Welcome to the site.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Severe anxiety started for me when my body finally made the change over to becoming physically dependent on alcohol. My anxiety would start around 3-4am when I started going through "mini-withdrawals". This was the beginning of the end for me. Alcoholism is progressive, and you will eventually get there if you keep drinking. In the end, my anxiety was debilitating. A drink would always cure it, which is the devilish thing about alcoholism. It was a lot of years before I became dependent, but once it happened, there was no going back to how it was before.

All the best to you,

Methodman
Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am quite sure that your anxiety problems are directly related to your alcohol consumption.
When you drink, dopamine gets released into your brain, giving you that feeling of well being and calm. The brain only has so much of it so after you have been drinking, the brain is depleted and needs time to naturally produce more. When you wake up with anxiety it's because of the out of whack brain neurotransmitters
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

she just said anxiety is a funny thing and discussed long term meds but I would rather make this go away without pills.
The last week or so I had started to feel better, symptoms decreased and of course started drinking too much, not as much as before but too much I guess and of course anxiety is back.
Why does this happen?? Does this mean I need to just quit drinking? It's hard cause a couple drinks in the evening make the symptoms go away.
Been there done that and believe me I tried a lot of things before i quit drinking to solve this problem. I too was told just get on some pills I refused took the diet / exercise / quit drinking route.

It got very bad for me panic attacks all the time. the only solution was to drink more but that also made it worse once the booze wore off. yes indeed hangovers bascily where replaced with anxiety and panic. I felt like i was standing on the edge of a cliff looking down and slipping all the time unless i was totally drunk.

I did not want to quit. But I did not want to go through that hell either. I figured i'd give quiting a try and I'll be honest it did not get better for me for a long while it was a very very slow gradual improvement and it took time to heal. But It did get better. I dont really have panic anymore and my anxiety is manageable.

My 2 cents put down the booze. If you decide to keep on drinking suit yourself but know this in the back of your head that if you quit the anxiety and panic will get better along with many other aspects of life etc..

sorry to tell you but its a symptom of drinking.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

oh and I also felt this is unfair. when i first read that that was a biproduct of drinking to much i thought well how come everyone doesnt have this issue why am i the only one with this issue i thought. well lots of people do have these issues and there on pills and keep drinking and continue to not recover. some people just havent hit that point yet. others have other terrible issues instead. Regardless for me panic and anxiety where my biggies that pushed me over the edge and forced me to quit. Lucky for me thats all it was it could have been much worse or gotten much worse.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Severe anxiety started for me when my body finally made the change over to becoming physically dependent on alcohol. My anxiety would start around 3-4am when I started going through "mini-withdrawals". This was the beginning of the end for me. Alcoholism is progressive, and you will eventually get there if you keep drinking. In the end, my anxiety was debilitating. A drink would always cure it, which is the devilish thing about alcoholism. It was a lot of years before I became dependent, but once it happened, there was no going back to how it was before.

Yep thats it exactly I hated that drill glad i'm done with it.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me my anxiety in the end was being caused by alcohol, when I would try to quit the withdrawal symptoms would be unbearable and I would simply drink again, round and round I went on this cycle, but my drinking progressed.

I finally had to make the decision to get off the merry-go-round I found myself on to see some real change in my life!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Alcohol Withdrawal Causes Severe Anxiety Symptoms « Calm Clinic
Old 07-22-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by methodman1019 View Post
Severe anxiety started for me when my body finally made the change over to becoming physically dependent on alcohol. My anxiety would start around 3-4am when I started going through "mini-withdrawals"
Yup. Same here. Probably the scariest part of drinking. Didn't realize at the time that I was in fact experiencing withdrawals. Sundays were the worst for me. The start of a new week. Waking up at 2,3,4 in the morning stressed out heart beating a mile a minute thinking of that early 6am rise for work. I do not miss that at all and it was directly related to my drinking. Take a week off. You will see. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

After a while, alcohol induced anxiety controlled my life. The only time I felt normal was when a grabbed a drink. My brain, body and heart would slow down after that drink and I could move on. Trouble was, that drink eventually started in the morning. When I eventually quit, the anxiety was completely gone after a week or so. I did not have a drink for over 2 1/2 years and experienced no anxiety during that period, life was good. Then a month ago, I had that one drink after my sons graduation party, a few days later another. I've had 3 occasions of indulgence since, and each time my anxiety was back with a vengeance, and has lingered almost daily since. Life was great being anxiety free and I now realize my complete sobriety is worth the effort.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very common. It will go away with abstinence. For me it was about a week dry.