Notices

Social life resurrection?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social life resurrection?

Has anyone else become sort of a "loner" or home-body since your drinking became a SERIOUS problem? I am a very outgoing and fun person (drunk and sober), but in the last year or 2 I have maintained a very distant relationship with all of my friends & most of my family (excluding wife and daughter). Is this normal? No one really calls me or texts me anymore, most likely they know I am in a self imposed "exile".
Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the last year or so I was hibernating and excluding myself from, well...life. I missed many important functions (weddings, bridal showers, bday parties) usually b/c I was either still on a binge OR withdrawing hardcore from one and in no shape to see anyone.
My cell is pretty quiet now as I'm sure I burnt a lot of bridges with people.

and ya - I'm an extrovert. Sagittarius through and through....but you wouldn't have known that! I really pulled back when the drink was all I could focus on.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely isolated myself over the last few years because I didn't want to make plans that would interfere with my daily drinking ritual. Couldn't follow through on plans. I'm sure people got tired of making the effort to spend time with me and gave up. It's also very likely that some people screened my calls worried that I'd be drunk and slurring my words repeating the same story over and over. I know I would. Now I'm reaching out and putting the effort in to reconnect and make plans to do sober things. I know I will actually be there as planned not cancelling on the day of.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The party was on my sofa every evening and only I was on the guest list!!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For a long time I really didn't like people.

Now I've started making new friends, but it is a slow process.

Purpleknight
Old 07-22-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, my social life is slower in sobriety. I used to have lots of social options, unfortunately they all involved alcohol. Now I value the few quality relationships I have. I hope to make more friends but that is a tough one for me to put myself out there.