SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   What's your IQ? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/339708-whats-your-iq.html)

JD4010 07-22-2014 10:00 AM

-18. That's "negative eighteen".

My nickname in high school was "dumb Swede". Very appropriate.

LBrain 07-22-2014 10:22 AM

If you realize it is just plain dumb trying to stuff an empty pizza box into the kitchen trash receptacle, you're smart enough for me.

dSober 07-22-2014 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by freshstart57 (Post 4794848)
What do you imagine you can learn from this?

Well, my suspicion is that drunks might tend to have above average IQ. My theory as to why is: thinking too much causes us to "worry" too much and cover that "pain" with alcohol, more or less.

Like I said at the onset, "I suspect the results will be skewed". Regardless, it looks like we're having some fun with it so that's a good thing in and of itself, IMHO. :)

doggonecarl 07-22-2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 4795195)
Well, my suspicion is that drunks might tend to have above average IQ.

Drunks tend to overinflate their sense of uniqueness, in my opinion, thinking they are smarter, more creative, more sensitive, more of whatever attribute will support their reason for drinking.

jdooner 07-22-2014 12:02 PM

Lot of geniuses on this board. Statistically this website seems more target risk than the cafeteria at MIT.

doggonecarl 07-22-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdooner (Post 4795310)
Lot of geniuses on this board. Statistically this website seems more target risk than the cafeteria at MIT.

I think the term is "Internet Savants"

InWriting 07-22-2014 12:14 PM

I am 132, and I only know this because I had the full blown psych version just a few months back. Surprised me too.

dwtbd 07-22-2014 12:15 PM

lol pizza box stuffing, while invovled in a conversation with my wife last night I took my time to fold an empty pizza so it fit in the kitchen garbage properly , finsihed the conversation removed the trash bag from under the sink and took it to the curb.

But I rarely stare at the sun, so I got that going for me

Nonsensical 07-22-2014 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by dsober (Post 4795195)
well, my suspicion is that drunks might tend to have above average ego.

fyp. :)

jdooner 07-22-2014 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 4795195)
Well, my suspicion is that drunks might tend to have above average IQ. My theory as to why is: thinking too much causes us to "worry" too much and cover that "pain" with alcohol, more or less.

Like I said at the onset, "I suspect the results will be skewed". Regardless, it looks like we're having some fun with it so that's a good thing in and of itself, IMHO. :)

I tend to agree with this thesis. However, I am not so sure this poll with zero accountability has much in terms of accuracy. I would hazard a guess that over half of the respondents may not have had an actual IQ exam.

We have been given a gift of becoming mindful and self aware enough to seek out this website and sobriety. So in my mind this puts me head and shoulders over the guy with a 150IQ that is till active:-)

Also I think many would tend to over exaggerate their (myself included) IQ as a way to support a notion that we did not do too much damage to our own brains. This would seem like a natural safety mechanism.

Che 07-22-2014 12:33 PM

Dial the corresponding # to assert your individuality:

1: I am a genius
2: I am smug that other people think they are geniuses
3: I am ironically humble for comedic effect
4-0: I am a unique snowflake
: I have self-restraint

At first I was going to press 2, but then I tried blank, and then I made this awful post.

LBrain 07-22-2014 12:35 PM

just to be sure, IQ has nothing to do with how "smart" a person is or how their knowledge - education - translates into real life.
Can't wait for replies to this. :)

Muunray 07-22-2014 01:04 PM

I was tested in grade school at 126 because the teachers wanted to put me ahead some grades. My best friend at the time was also tested and "got" 140. She grew up and ended up working for the FBI. I grew up and became an alcoholic nurse.
I like what Jim Carey said about life. (And it has nothing to do with IQs.)
What Jim Carrey Explains In 1 Minute Will Change Your Life Forever. Seriously. | Mobiledia

Carlotta 07-22-2014 01:06 PM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/44797822.jpg

feeling-good 07-22-2014 01:31 PM

Well my IQ didn't assist me in realising this post was a pol - lol! The responses have been really interesting to read - thanks :) I was formally tested over 20 years ago and then again about 15 years ago - however my results definitely have not meant that I have found life easy - far from it! :D

dSober 07-22-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by LBrain (Post 4795363)
Can't wait for replies to this. :)

Ok, for more fun, let's try this:

knowledge x intelligence = wisdom (smarts)

Have at it, lol :)

dSober 07-22-2014 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Che (Post 4795362)
Dial the corresponding # to assert your individuality:

1: I am a genius
2: I am smug that other people think they are geniuses
3: I am ironically humble for comedic effect
4-0: I am a unique snowflake
: I have self-restraint

At first I was going to press 2, but then I tried blank, and then I made this awful post.

I think I have to go with 4-0.

hopeforsobriety 07-22-2014 01:51 PM

My Iq test scored 122 on iq.com anyone can take it, I was a straight A/A*students at GCSE and A level, I ran internationally for my country at European cross country championships and got a place at Cambridge university,i have a good job and own my own house, does that answer your question, I'm still an alcoholic

Boleo 07-22-2014 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 4795430)
Ok, for more fun, let's try this:
knowledge x intelligence = wisdom (smarts)

First of all; I took my IQ test as part of a Psychology class where it was revealed afterwards that test solving skills (like IQ tests) had no correlation with career success.

Second; I have met plenty of people who were highly educated and had exceptional knowledge of trivia, who were completely devoid of the savvy necessary to grasp "Spiritual Wisdom".

Third; As far as I can tell, intelligence and wisdom are two different skill sets. If anything, intelligence interferes with wisdom:

"A young but earnest Zen student approached his teacher, and asked the Zen Master:
"If I work very hard and diligent how long will it take for me to find Zen."
The Master thought about this, then replied, "Ten years."
The student then said, "But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast -- How long then ?"
Replied the Master, "Well, twenty years."
"But, if I really, really work at it. How long then ?" asked the student.
"Thirty years," replied the Master.
"But, I do not understand," said the disappointed student. "At each time that I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do you say that ?"
Replied the Master," When you have one eye on the goal, you only have one eye on the path."

totfit 07-22-2014 03:50 PM

The answers are a hoot. The median should be 100-109 or the vast majority of folks and it seems most everyone here has a much higher IQ. Maybe the results would be a bit higher since we are in a discussion forum, but still I think we definitely as a group have no self-esteem issues. :)