Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

No more Anonymity FOR ME - watched film "THe Anonymouse People"

Notices

No more Anonymity FOR ME - watched film "THe Anonymouse People"

Old 07-21-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
I see that you are in New Zealand, though. Not sure it's the same case here in the US.
Could be, but all my insurances are with international companies. Few if any insurance companies are locally owned. One thing they all have in common is that they will not pay out if they can find a reason not to (deception), and they will assess each risk on its merits. You might pay a higher premium, but they seem to take smoking much more seriously than alcoholism.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've been sober 1 yr today.

In my experience so far it seems many people outside of family & close friends don't care if I'm sober or not.

Going to check out the movie, netflix has it & will watch later on.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In the movie, there are people showing their faces, saying their full names, etc

Interesting - here is a prominent AA member who started a movement, openly stated her experiences in AA, etc
Marty Mann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the pamphlet mentioned:
A.A. members may disclose their identity and
speak as recovered alcoholics, giving radio, TV
and Internet interviews, without violating the
Traditions — so long as their A.A. membership is
not revealed.

Thus, their concern is connecting my full name, face, etc to the program of AA. Not the disclosure of my recovery and suffering from the disease of addiction. I would obviously respect the anonymity (recovery and membership) of other AA members - it's not my anonymity - it's theirs. Not mine to mess with. But me...I have that right.

I can respect the tradition and disclose at the same time. Just leave out one key statement "I am in AA". I don't represent AA and can understand that as a violation of the tradition.

Desypete, I feel confused as to what you find "funny" about my post?. Neither you nor I can truly predict the future 2 years from now. Maybe I'll see it differently - and maybe I won't. I consider outreach to be very serious - when I help others, I work on my own recovery. I have actual concrete examples of friends/family reaching out to me to ask for help SPECIFICALLY because I was open about it. I've got private messages from people saying, "Thanks so much for being honest about this. I needed it." Sometimes going to a meeting is tough and scary (regardless of anonymity) - but what about reading a post from a friend being honest about it? (seems a lot easier than going to a meeting). I consider this a much wider door for other sick individuals to find progress (or...just another door). My concern is that when we hide our recovery too much, are there people out there who won't learn about it? To hear personal stories? What would have happened with my friends, if I hadn't spoken out?

I NEVER knew about Al-Anon until I was 37 and my counselor mentioned it. My mother went - didn't tell me. Why do people think they have the right to decide whether or not I would have sought it out if I had known sooner? I believe we could reach more alcoholics or families of alcoholics without violating traditions or principles. Raising awareness does not have to be "promotion" in my opinion.

I don't presume to tell others how to work their recovery, I just find my personal anonymity to be a barrier to it - in my personal recovery path, I'm walking through what looks like a barrier to me. If people judge me, that's their problem. Doesn't mean that's the only way there. Just mine. If you see the anonymity as a major component to your own personal recovery - then I would definitely support you keeping it. For me, in anonymity, I see myself hiding my shame. Anonymity doesn't work for me.

Granted, it's not so black and white. There are obviously details I might consider unnecessary for disclosure - or appropriate times to disclose myself.

As I said in my original post - to each his/her own. You make your own choice for the anonymity thing. The anonymity thing can most certainly be a wide open door for new comers - and it could eventually become an impediment for individuals like myself - or something others with long-term recovery want to keep. For me, the anonymity brought me in, but I don't think it works for me anymore.

Just my personal experience.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

@ thotful

let me get this straight?
your a member of al anon and you want the al anon and other organizations to drop the anon side of things because YOU dont agree with it ?

thats why i see it as funny : )

lets change the rest of the world first, as i dont need to change at all as i am right : )
Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Desy, only I can speak for me and you're making statements that don't match what I've said. They're what you've said. I would say something very different to describe my beliefs. You seem to be hearing something else. You're welcome to laugh at your own perception of my beliefs.

As such, I won't be able to change the way you interpret my statements. I don't see a reason to continue.

I'll leave it at that.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

thotful, I feel much like you do and I think you understand the issue quite well. desypete, on the other hand, does not seem to have even tried to understand this issue, much less what you are saying about it in your posts.

despete, reread thotfuls post above. Note the bolded underlined words, and then perhaps even see the film.