Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What symptoms to expect emotionally and physically after you quit drinking

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

As of today I have been sober for 26 days. Thankfully, I didn't go through bad withdrawal symptoms. I experienced some anxiety, shakiness and slight sweating for perhaps 3 days after I quit. Now that I am a few weeks into sobriety and past the time period for severe withdrawal symptoms, I am wondering what to expect now. I have found that I am often tired or fatigued, quick to easily be annoyed or agitated and sometimes melancholy. I know everyone has their own experiences with recovery, but I am interested to know how people feel after a few weeks, months or even years of being sober?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi T, congratulations on your 26 days. Speaking for myself, I guarded against getting complacent and thinking it was ok to have a glass of wine again. That's called the alcoholic (or addicts) voice. It can be very persuasive and hang around for a long time.

My other challenge was unexpected cravings, often triggered by circumstances where I used to drink, like leaving work in the evening. They do recede as time goes by, but as recently as a couple of months ago I had a strong craving when I went to buy stout for cooking at a familiar bottle shop.

Once I knew I could resist these ambushes I felt much more confident.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Self pity and fear, sometime masquarading as depression and anxiety are common in early sobriety, and mood swings also seem to come into the picture.

Without some kind of program to follow, alcoholics of my type can become increasingly irritable, restless and discontent, which are usually the symptoms of impending relapse. My problem was that alcohol was more of a solution to my inability to handle life sober. When I stopped drinking, while the first weeks seemed ok, I became very uncomfortable with life after a while.

I needed to find a decent substitute for my old life. After a few failures on my own I eventually adopted the AA way of life. That has enabled me to have a full and happy life. I haven't needed to drink for a long time.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm like you T.... I dont seem to experience withdrawel symptoms (and I know this because I can go for ten days or so .... but unfortunately still have had relapses) but I do have to find things to do at the time my Trigger points happen at certain times of day.....and the problem with that is that sometimes I just do not have the motivation...and feel totally lazy. I have lack of motivation at other times of the day as well. I really have to push myself to ensure I complete tasks that really need completing. But than of course if I do force myself I feel sooo much better for accomplishing something. Go figure.... I know whatever needs doing...I know i feel better once I have done...why is it sooo hard to just do it??

Anyway enough about me ... I wish you all the best in your recovery
Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tmendoza ... congratulations on 26 days! I am coming up to 8 weeks and I find that I am finally getting back the motivation to get things done. In the last couple of weeks, my days off work have become much more productive because I seem to have more energy and ambition. I am finding, however, that I seem to be triggered more frequently in the last week, although I suspect it's more about the way I'm working my plan and the program (I too attend AA meetings almost every night) than the length of my sobriety .
Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you've been supressing lots of pain or anger or fear, that may begin to well up.
Sometimes it comes in waves.

I took some intensive therapy and started keeping a journal to deal with it.
Long walks in nature with my dogs was extremely helpful, as well as lots of gym time.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies
Old 07-18-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

There is a giant sticky thread on this topic. I am sure your question has been answered there.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on quitting!

Yes the experiences vary a lot. Read up on PAWS for symptoms many people experience during the first year or two.

For me (now getting close to 6 months sober) it's been very dynamic. Physically, I was OK after one week but some issues needed more time to normalize, as I found out from medical tests. Emotionally, the first month was quite a hot mess. I wasn't simply depressed - more the opposite, often. Very hyper and sometimes in mental states that were very similar to the descriptions of "hypomania". What they call "mixed states": a combination of depressive thoughts and agitation. Also had violent mood swings. Not cool, but these states dissipated with time, and after ~3-4 months of sobriety, I started noticing remarkable improvements in the direction where I wanted to go - much more calm and even. But it's still not like that every day. I am very happy that the depressive symptoms I had during the last few years of my drinking are gone completely now. I think being active helps a lot, which has been a challenge for me as I was so used to doing nothing but drinking and hanging on the computer as a heavy drinker. I think the more we work on straitening out our life and mind, the faster things improve. It does take some patience, but is worth every minute of effort.