Notices

Getting Therapy

Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Therapy

So I started my intro to therapy today. The guy was great. I get up to 12 weeks on the NHS. We talked about my problems and he's going to draw up a support plan for me and look into group sessions/meetings to go along with the therapy. We meet again next week and he says there's lots of different strategies we can try. I feel good for the first time in months.

What really helped was he kept telling me well done for just getting in touch and admitting I have a problem. For the first time I think i can beat this.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm really glad to hear that Captain. It took me 30 yrs. to admit I had a problem, so your therapist is right - it's a huge first step that some never take.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's terrific news

It is a big step, and it can really help you let go of old emotions that aren't serving you any more and move on to a happier, better life.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Captain, I started psychotherapy in May for the first time in my life, after a life-long interest in psychology. How weird is that? My alcoholism/addictions are not the main theme in my therapy, though, just as far as they are linked to the primary issues I want to address. Or whatever the therapist recognizes in me and wants us to address

I love my sessions, the homework I get, trying to investigate my issues in ways I have never done before, and experimenting with possible strategies, as you said. I actually do a lot of my own research in association with the discussions with the therapist, and bring some of these to his attention. I feel that the whole process has been a sort of mutual fun for both of us. And very useful for me.

Best of luck to you; yes you can beat this!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's good news Captain - best wishes

D
Old 07-16-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The guy mentioned tapering down my drinking. But I'm still drinking the same amount. I'm taking benzos before after and during drinking. I can't taper i just need to stop somehow. I need to talk to him about this next time and if it is possible. Because the moment i step into a boozer I end up buying my usual stuff.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post
The guy mentioned tapering down my drinking. But I'm still drinking the same amount. I'm taking benzos before after and during drinking. I can't taper i just need to stop somehow. I need to talk to him about this next time and if it is possible. Because the moment i step into a boozer I end up buying my usual stuff.
I'm sure you have heard the saying, "Rome wasn't built in a day". The only way to get past the beginning is start. If you are worried about withdrawal you could get something prescribed to help but my biggest fear for you is that you are already using benzos. I would try getting someone to closely monitor you and stop just the alcohol. Seek medical attention before you try though, it is tricky because of the benzos. Be careful.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The benzos are great. They numb the pain before and after drinking. The real problem is when i mix them with alcohol. That causes a whole new set of problems.

Also my triggers for drinking are stupid. I feel embarrassed having to admit them to my therapist. I keep having to tell myself to be honest. I told a few lies in my first session. I have to correct them in the next.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said benzoes and alcohol are a bad bad combination.

I think you should be looking for help there with some urgency CaptainWhip.

D