Notices

Very bad day...

Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very bad day...

I just lost my job. Sober for 9 mos next week, I have done an outstanding job staying focused on sobriety, fitness, health and relationships, and not much else. It's like my givashitter is broken.
I'm not going to drink over this, but I am disappointed I haven't stopped creating reasons to regret and be ashamed of. Staying sober seems a lot easier than finding balance.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

sorry to hear about that. I work in an environment where several people have lost their jobs this year, even ones who did great work and worked here for many years. Sometimes we end up on the wrong end of the stick no matter how hard we try. Hard to see a silver lining, but it's pretty impressive that you've stuck with your sobriety. That will go FAR in helping you find a new job - which you most certainly will. Stay strong.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Scott. i know several guys who did great work who were let go over the past couple of years.

I know it's hard not to take that personally, but sometimes it's the very opposite of that- it's just numbers and budgets and...don't get me started on economic rationalism....

The really great thing is you're sober.

I hope there's a wonderful opportunity waiting for you NoJimmy - and, sober, you'll be ready for it

D
Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sure there will be a silver lining. I'm really only disappointed this wasn't on my terms. That's just sour grapes though, I think I'll take some time to figure out my next move.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

NoJimmy

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Are you OK financially? This could be the opportunity for a great new career change. If I had it all to do over again I certainly would have pursued other interests. Unfortunately, drink dominated a lot of my thinking even at an early age. At this point, a change in career is probably out of the picture for me. Hope it's not for you! Hope you seize this opportunity.
I hit 7 months today.

Best Wishes,

TC
Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have empathy for your situation NoJimmy. If it helps at all, every single person I have known to be caught in a layoff has said it was the best thing that every happened to them with some passing of time of course. I have known hundred, perhaps a thousand that have lost jobs in downsizings and it suck. It increases our anxiety and many people drink over it. You have such a leg up to go through this sober with a clear mind.

I don't believe in coincidences so I think this might be for a reason. I have found the jobs I would do for free are the ones that have the greatest rewards in life. If your in a job just to punch a clock and your hearts not in it then your not operating to your fullest potential. You have been given this amazing gift through your hard work to change your life. Your young and no you also have the opportunity to navigate your career path from a place of power, sober and clear minded.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When you are up to it, would you like to share
about your job with us? What kind of work were
you doing? What was the cause of your job loss?

Maybe sharing will help others share some
suggestions on something else you might
can look into for your next job.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kudos on not drinking in response. Good luck on future employment.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 30yrdrunk View Post
NoJimmy

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Are you OK financially? This could be the opportunity for a great new career change. If I had it all to do over again I certainly would have pursued other interests. Unfortunately, drink dominated a lot of my thinking even at an early age. At this point, a change in career is probably out of the picture for me. Hope it's not for you! Hope you seize this opportunity.
I hit 7 months today.

Best Wishes,

TC
Good job on 7 months!

I am in pretty good shape financially. I've been thinking about exploring different options prior to this event. I have roughly 20 years left to work, I really want to spend it doing something I'm at least occasionally passionate about. Something that makes a difference beyond just money in my pocket.
Jobs are plentiful in my previous occupation, I could survive doing that if I wanted to go back to school.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I have empathy for your situation NoJimmy. If it helps at all, every single person I have known to be caught in a layoff has said it was the best thing that every happened to them with some passing of time of course. I have known hundred, perhaps a thousand that have lost jobs in downsizings and it suck. It increases our anxiety and many people drink over it. You have such a leg up to go through this sober with a clear mind.

I don't believe in coincidences so I think this might be for a reason. I have found the jobs I would do for free are the ones that have the greatest rewards in life. If your in a job just to punch a clock and your hearts not in it then your not operating to your fullest potential. You have been given this amazing gift through your hard work to change your life. Your young and no you also have the opportunity to navigate your career path from a place of power, sober and clear minded.

Good luck.
I used to think different, but the coincidences since becoming sober fit together too logically to keep calling them that.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

I just lost my job. Sober for 9 mos next week, I have done an outstanding job staying focused on sobriety, fitness, health and relationships, and not much else. It's like my givashitter is broken.
I'm not going to drink over this, but I am disappointed I haven't stopped creating reasons to regret and be ashamed of. Staying sober seems a lot easier than finding balance.
all i can say is i feed exactly the same way. Congrats on the 9 months and dont bother drinking over something so mundane as a job loss. But on the points I bolded I can relate I feel like i've been very hyper focused and great about some stuff and I've totally fallen down about other things.

Theres probably a good reason you lost your job. I too am having job issues and I know if I loose mine while it might sting my wallet in the short term and be scary I know in the long term is fro the better.

As we sober up lots of stuff changes about our lives that we may or may not have expected to change. And the outcomes will be much different now that we are sober then they might have been had we not of been sober.

The next door you walk through with a sober mind and body will offer you a different outcome then had you lost this job while still not being sober. things have a funny way of working out for the best.