Notices

2 days sober....after 13 years of drinking

Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days sober....after 13 years of drinking

I just joined this site todayand overjoyed with advice and stories I've read so far. I am 49 years old...started drinking after my divorce when I was 36. I've struggled with an eating disorder almost all my life...so alcohol substituted for the eating disorder.

I've lessened my drinking over the years (still too much...2-4 vodkas or a bottle of wine every night. Oh yes, I used to drink more). I drank to fall asleep, which really doesn't work. I drank to level out my anxiety...it seemed to make things better. I haven't felt great for quite a while and I've had blood test results over the lat few years that indicate some liver issues.

I'm going to see a Dr. tomorrow to have the same tests run one more time since my results were not based on 12 horus of fasting. Regardless, I'm scared that I've really harmed myself. My bilirubin was 1.3 (1.0-1.2 is normal). I'm not exactly sure what that means or if that's really high. I've had some other blood test results that seem to be caused by the eating disorder.

I am a pretty healthy person overall - - I've competed in Figure Competitions over the last few years and won my Masters Pro Card last year. You'd never think by looking at me that I am really "unhealthy".

I am experiencing so much right now...trying to eat clean, drink more water, eat those liver loving foods! I'm noticing how many people in Minnesota drink! I swear, that's all they do! I've lived to drink...made me feel good for the moment...probably just made me numb.

I'm scared...that my body won't bounce back and that I've done irreversible damage to myself. I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety at work, but hoping it will get better. I need to look into attending some AA meetings and getting into some 1:1 therapy.

What do people do to replace the social drinking with friends? Get new friends or just not drink with them? I need to find some new hobbies!

Thanks everyone for your inspiration...it's good to know I'm not alone in this.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR, it's great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi peaceandhope, welcome to the forum, great place for help and encouragement.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Nice to see you PaH.

I'm at 6 days after 26 years and feel so reassured reading the stories here. I know that I'm not alone, and that if others can beat this, I can too.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site.

You'll figure out what to do about friends as you go along.

I keep the friends who are comfortable and don't keep the ones who aren't.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
July 4, 2014

Hi and welcome!
I'm sober now for a bit under two weeks! Every day there are trials and tests. Though I am feeling stronger daily as well!
This is a great place with many (many!) caring people who know and understand the highs and lows. I'm so glad I found this site/group!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum peaceandhope