Notices

No More Turning Away

Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
quat

heh
Funny you mention tattoos, I didn't get that , but I did get one the other night. I think I will load it as my avatar pic here soon.
It's kinda entendrie
Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
In some regards yes our relationship has improved, thanks for asking. I realized I have been holding so much resentment inside toward him for taking the option of drinking off the table. I've built a wall between he and I because if I'm honest I hated him for taking away the only thing in my life that had offered me a little escape, (alcohol). It was easy to paint him the villain make it all his fault after all I've felt that in many regards my life is all about restriction and he is the enforcer. I've come to question how much of this is his doing vs. how much I perceive it to be. I've completely absolved him of owning my sobriety. Truth is yes he demanded it initially, however it was truly done with love and fear. Do we still have a huge wall to break down, absolutely. But the first step on my end has been made. I choose to no longer carry the deep hatred I was feeling for not "allowing" me to drink. I believe the old me with all her self loathing taught him how to treat me like his property. In the last 10 months I've found the true me and I love her. And not enough is no longer acceptable. Change is slow here but I've got 2 options. It is my hope that we can turn things around. I know though that I can not change how he acts, my only leg is to change how I react. And I have. I've never been one to engage in a fight I check out mentally because you can stab me with the cruelest meanest words and they'd still never touch the self slaughter I spoke internally. I don't do that anymore and it's no longer ok for others to. I know he's scared I'm slipping through his fingers, I can see it in his eyes. It's his volley now, so time will tell.
I could have written this post, substituting "she" for "he". What an inspiring post.

Like I told my DW the other day, it is not that I can't drink (in fact I can and I'm quite good at it), it is that I choose not to drink.

I see that at times this choice may be more difficult than at other times. Thanks for sharing IM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks IM

Your story was a well-timed message for me. We just arrived in Colorado for a week's vacation with my wife's sister and family (Happy Hour(s) all around!) and the lure of the mountains with Vodka was already calling me. I will not answer that call! Powerful reminder that I quit for myself. Also, a great reminder to not have that pity party and ruin the entire trip for me and the family. I don't want to mope and sulk around. It is better to be sober in this beautiful place and I will wake up with a clear head and a nice cup of coffee!

Thanks!
GoMan
Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

"... releasing me from my sobriety prison"

It takes a powerful person to realize what the real prison is. It comes in a bottle. And while I've never fully latched on to the notion of ascribing human characteristics to a substance -- albeit a nasty one for us -- it really is conniving.

Good for you, IM. I'm moved by your courage.

Keep up the good, hard work.

V.