Notices

Advice needed for upcoming surgery

Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed for upcoming surgery

I recently found out that some knee pain I've been having since a ski accident this past March is actually because I tore my ACL. I'm now facing the possibility of needing ACL reconstructive surgery.

I'm over 2.5 years sober at this point in time, and I'm concerned about going into surgery and then requiring drugs afterwards which could be of the habit forming variety.

Now, to be clear, I'm not asking for medical advice, and I will talk do my doctor.

But have any of you gone through this? How did you bring up the subject to your doctor? Were they helpful, or dismissive?

Did you go through with taking the drugs?

I'm trying to put into place a strategy. I am currently thinking of letting my significant other handle dispensing any medication, and then quickly stopping it as soon as the doctor will allow me.

It's definitely weighing on my mind. I do NOT want to go through early recovery again. Or for a different substance.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Make sure the anesthesiologist knows of your addiction history. Often alcoholics need to be anesthetized differently in order to achieve desired results.

Good Luck
Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dotboston View Post
Now, to be clear, I'm not asking for medical advice, and I will talk do my doctor.
I suggest being totally honest about being allergic to alcohol.

BE WELL
Old 07-13-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi dotBoston,

I've had arthroscopic clean-up of my hip joint, so the following questions are from personal experience, but please MODS feel free to delete if it crosses the line .

Just some more questions that affected recovery and pain with the joint ortho surgery. Are you currently:

physically active?

having pain with physical activity?

pain at rest?

in a targeted knee PT/strengthening program?

taking OTC pain meds or have Rx pain meds in the past?

Do you have a working relationship with a General Practitioner MD and Physical therapist?

Woo-hoo on 2.5 years sobriety! You need to protect this and become your own best advocate. skiing questions is really smart. In my experience, being as physically strong before and being committed to and working on knee rehab/PT after goes a long way with pain issues.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I recently found out that some knee pain I've been having since a ski accident this past March is actually because I tore my ACL. I'm now facing the possibility of needing ACL reconstructive surgery.

I'm over 2.5 years sober at this point in time, and I'm concerned about going into surgery and then requiring drugs afterwards which could be of the habit forming variety.

But have any of you gone through this? How did you bring up the subject to your doctor? Were they helpful, or dismissive?

Did you go through with taking the drugs?

I'm trying to put into place a strategy. I am currently thinking of letting my significant other handle dispensing any medication, and then quickly stopping it as soon as the doctor will allow me.

It's definitely weighing on my mind. I do NOT want to go through early recovery again. Or for a different substance.
good on ya for thinkin this could be a problem!!!! ive seen a few times people thought it wouldn't be and it turned into a serious problem.

ive been through 6 surgeries while in recovery. all to carve out cancer and to of em pretty serious. the pain med thing had me quite concerned. i let my oncologist know im a recovering alcoholic/addict was clean and sober 13 months and had a concern about the pain meds. i was so relieved listening to what he said after that, but i was completely relieved to hear he had some understanding of addiction. he asked if he could pass the info onto the surgeon and i said no problem. the surgeon was awesome!! ( she did 5 of the surgeries and the 6th was done by another surgeon that understood!).
the 1st was quite a serious surgery and there would be no way for them to preform their job at an optimal level without me being under anesthetics.i had to be knocked out. so ok, im good with that, but what about after??
surgeon said this is gonna cause pain afterwards, but we aren't going to throw the most powerful pain med on ya and send ya out the door. gonna start out low and stop when the pain is manageable.
sooo,im ok with that for a bit. ended up getting squirrelly before the surgery about it so went and talked to a friend. he started laughin!!! then shared a story:
he was about 15 years sober and had a massive heart attack. although he didn't get into drugs, the one thing goin through his head in the ambulance was the meds that would be administered. so when he got into the ER, all jacked up about it, he told the cardiologist about it;" do im a recovering alcoholic."
cardiologist said,"yup i know." then went to telling the nurses to give him this that and the other.
friend said to cardiologist,"doc, you don't understand, im a recovering alcoholic!!"
cardologist said,"yup, ya tld me. now its time for you to let me and God do what we do best and keep your nose out of it."

for some reason when he told me that i was quite relieved. when the surgery came my friend and a few others were there after and keeping me in check with the pain meds.
HOWEVER!!!i made a bad move. 2 days after that 1st surgery i decided i didn't need them pain meds any more. so good old pride and ego drivin me stopped takin em. 8 hours later the pain was so intense i was in tears and called my friend. guess what he said,"so now ya know how serious this surgery was?"
it was a bugger getting the pain back under control.

ok, im rambling on. but here a few things:
i didn't get sober to be in pain. if a doctor says im gonna need anesthetics for a surgery and/or pain meds after, i now listen to them. its in the motives.

IMO it would be wise to talk to yer doctor /surgeon and let em know abut recovery and find out what their plan for pain management is.
and it would be wise to let someone else dispense the meds for ya if that's what makes you more comfortable.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel I should clarify my point, Boston. Often alcoholics need INCREASED levels of anesthesia compared with normal individuals. We have so altered our neural pathways that often anesthesia must be adjusted accordingly. The anesthesiologist will take that into account in deciding which combination of medications to give you and at what levels.

I did not mean to imply you should not or could not undergo anesthesia. That would be foolish.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all, this is very helpful to hear. I just got back from my weekly meeting, and I brought my concerns up with someone after the meeting. They reassured me that it's "ok" to use the pain medication, but wise to have a strategy in place so that it can't get out of control.

Currently, I'm in pain frequently, but it's not horrifically painful and doesn't prevent my activities. It's typically worse after I walk a while or exercise, or if I need to stand for a long period of time. I was taking OTC NSAID's the first few months after the injury to reduce swelling and pain, but now I'm not taking anything regularly.

I'm pretty active, 38 years old, go to the gym 4 days a week (lifting mostly, though I'm not "jacked", but in good shape), and enjoy outdoor activities like biking and hiking.

Fortunately I've had a trainer at the gym for this whole period, and we did a lot of leg work to get things strong and with a good range of motion. He didn't know there was a torn ligament involved, but he did know that I've had some pain (he had ACL surgery and MCL surgery himself).

Hopefully all the leg work will help with recovery. At least this is what I'm told.

Sounds like a few weeks out of work, than about 6 months of PT.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

dotboston,

I'm glad you posted this question, because one of the things anesthesiologists dread the most is discovering that their postop patient is starting to detox in the middle of surgery or shortly thereafter during the postoperative period.

Alcoholics need surgery just as often as anybody else, and it just is NOT the time to be in the closet about it.

The same is true for opiate addicts -- it is not a good idea to surprise your anesthesiologist with the inability to be anesthetized for surgery. That can happen to anybody who is not "opiate naive."

Being transparent with this information can save your life. Surgery is no joke, especially major surgery, and it is common for substance abusers to withhold this kind of information so they won't "look bad."

If you fear that, you may be "looking bad" in the morgue.

ALWAYS tell your doctor, and your anesthesiologist, what drugs or alcohol you have been ingesting, how much, how long ago, and how long you have been using.

I know of what I speak.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there I'm actually in the same boat. I just had ACL reconstruction and am in recovery as well. They prescribed narcotics for the pain (enough to last about 2 weeks).

I was nervous to take the pills but found I really couldn't withstand the intense pain. My doctor knew of my history with alcoholism as it's all in the medical database and prescribed me the lowest dosage I could possibly get. On top of that I was in the care of my parents and had them take care of the medication, as it was just easier that way and I was basically bed-ridden for a week.

After the second week, I was able to move around and tossed the medication out in favor of Ibuprofen. I had two motives for this one being I had a strong urge to maintain my sobriety from alcohol and didn't want to open up a whole new can of worms. The other was I wanted to be able to drive as soon as I possibly could.

It's great that you have a network of support and I wish you the best of luck and a speedy and safe physical recovery!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agh. Intense pain sounds terrible.

My sister had it done, and said the worst pain was from the hamstring graft harvest.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Agh. Intense pain sounds terrible.

My sister had it done, and said the worst pain was from the hamstring graft harvest.
Yeah that definitely was a big factor. Do you know what kind of graft you're getting? Sounds like you're at an advantage since you go to the gym and have a trainer
Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am going tomorrow morning to speak with the surgeon.

I don't think I'm really interested in the cadaver ligaments. Ick.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful

I have a "cadaver" heart valve -- best option out there next to my own (for the particular surgery I was having).

As far as pain meds it sounds like you have a good plan. I had heart surgery and there was no getting around taking strong intravenous pain meds for the first 24 hours after surgery and moderate oral pain relievers for the next few days. I spent the first few weeks recovering at my parent's house so my Mom administered the pain meds. Surprisingly I was all but off of them within a week of the surgery

Good luck with your surgery -- ask your surgeon more about the cadaver ligaments before ruling them out just because of the "ick" factor.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I spoke to the doctor today. We are taking a "Do PT for a month, then re-evaluate" approach.

He said there's a chance I could just not do the surgery, and use a brace for sports like skiing.

Well, in any case, it buys me some time so that I can worry a bit less.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I didn't read all the replies because we are a chatty bunch and there are a lot of words on this page...don't know if someone said this already.

My supervisor had ACL reconstructive surgery. She asked for and was given a non-narcotic pain medication for post surgery so she could function at work. That would be a great option for a person in recovery.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Funny to read this post today. I just returned from my pre-op visit to have my left knee replaced 3 weeks from now. 3-1/2 years ago I had surgery to remove a small part of my stomach as I had cancer. I was given pain medication, (liquid form) for after the surgery and it had several refills available. I had been sober at that time 12 plus years and only once had seriously come close to a relapse, avoided it and went on my way.

I found myself enjoying the "mood" that the pain killer put me in, so after the 2nd refill I decided that a little discomfort was something I could bear more easily than another recovery so I did some meditation and relaxing breathing and it all worked out.

This time around I will take the prescribed medication as required for severe pain and I will chase it with some meditation, breathing and a wee bit o'prayer as required. Just like going places where alcohol is served, I don't believe that I am in danger if I have a purpose for the visit, or the medication and as long as my purpose isn't to get drunk I will be just fine.

I have grown used to sobriety and have let my surgeon and his assistant know I am a recovered alcoholic so expect nothing but success. In my case, and I can't speak to others situations, however openness and honesty both with those around me and myself seems to keep me sober.

Best of luck with the procedure and I am sure you will be just fine with the recovery and medication as long as you keep the long view regarding your life. You have enough time to know what works and what doesn't

Jon
Old 07-14-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, I just wanted to add my experience. Big alcoholic here, was daily drinker for many years. I had some serious dental work about a year ago and was prescribed Vicodin for pain. I took it as prescribed and it helped with the pain. After a few days the pain and prescription was gone. No problems and it sure helped with the pain.