Notices

day 1

Old 07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1

Today i told myself i will not drink alcohol anymore... im so nervous, because I've said this before. I always think i can just have one drink, an overtime one turns into 10. Why many i have one damn drink without getting wasted. Last night i drank a pint of vodka an smoked a pack of cigarettes.. i be did that everyday this week. I only smoke when drinking so hopefully that Will stop to.. i just want to be able to do this, but each time i go back to drinking, an it always starts with one drink.. any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Have a plan, and do it differently this time.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Don't have that first drink.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome ToniB. I would also suggest joining a formal recovery group like AA/NA/Smart/etc or seeking help from an addiction counselor/psychiatrist. Reading and posting a lot here on SR can also be of huge benefit, some use SR as their primary recovery resource ( i would be one them! ).

No matter what path you choose, the key is accepting that you cannot pick up that first drink and finding a plan so you don't. As you know very well, once the first drink happens all bets are off.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't have the first drink? There's no such thing as "just one" for me either.

Get support for your sobriety. Make a plan to keep yourself focused on sobriety. Post here.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum! Having support from others, as well as some reading materials and recovery books are a good place to start. Have you thought of a program you'd like to follow? There are quite a few excellent recovery books listed on this site as well. It is as simple as not picking up that first drink... though that proves to be a difficult thing to do sometimes. In the beginning, finding a new routine that doesn't put you in sticky situations helps a lot. There is a technique some use called Urge Surfing that you might want to look into. I found it very helpful. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me I needed to cut out that 1st drink as it lead to the same thing, never stopping until I was drunk or blacked out, the only way to do that was Sobriety!!

You can do it too!!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What does the evidence tell you?
If you have one, there is enough evidence to suggest you will not stop at one.
The smart thing to do is not have that one.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just try one day sober...then another...then another....
Old 07-11-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Tonib. Great to have you with us.

I had to stop all together too. I spent many years insisting I could use willpower to just have 'one or two'. It never happened. I actually felt free when I gave it up - no more wondering where my drinking would take me. I ended up in some unpredictable places & dangerous situations. It feels great to have a clear head and be in control. You can do it.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank u guys so much. I always think i can just have one, but i see now that's not the case. Someone said the try something different this time. I will not sober up to be able to drink socially an instead get sober to stay sober. I love any type of alcohol, an rant have any anymore.. how long did it take for the cravings to get easier? This is day 1 for me an this is my usual time to drink (after work) what should i do??? I keep thinking about going to the store an buying a pack of cigarettes an four pack even though i feel crappy from last night... in coughing from smoking a entire pack, an my stomach still aches from binge last night.. but im still wanting it....
Old 07-11-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can never stop at one. My new thinking is if i dont have 1 i cant have 10. You can do this.