Notices

Friday

Old 07-11-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday

I've always had a drink on Friday night and it's all I can ink about at work. I know if I post this I'll be too embarrassed to buy a bottle on e way home.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fridays are tough but you can get through them Dean - we've got your back
It's time for a new Friday night tradition, yeah?

D
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support I'll just make sure I go straight home and download some games or movie for a new tradition. Thanks for that idea
Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
July 4, 2014

Good on ya, Deangrant!
I think posting here, and establishing the mindset (prior to even leaving work!) that you're not going to buy a bottle is a good idea! Are you using public transport, on foot, personal vehicle? Maybe, and this is just a thought, if you changed your method of arriving home you would also be less likely to go about the habitual route and thus decrease the possibility of buying one?
Today is my one week mark. I quite cigarettes and alcohol at the same time. I'm feeling pretty good -- a bit tired today, but it's Friday and that's also normal. Anyways, I actually left my money at home a few times over the past several days. I literally left my wallet at home. I took out my license and left everything else. I didn't want cash or a debit-card on my person fearful of what I might buy. I had visions of me buying a nice cup of coffee on lunch and then reaching for a 6-pack to start the afternoon off and a pack of smokes to boot.
Re-wiring the brain is hard!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Oh my goodness. When I first came to this site, I was completely unnerved by Friday too.... I always drank on Friday. It took some getting used to, but now I watch movies or actually go out dancing instead. Just do something completely different and fun!

Edited to say, there is a weekenders thread too if you want to join them.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Thanks for your post, Deangrant.
I hope it helps.
You have helped me already.
I am going into a situation where I will be offered a drink tonight.
These people know me, but do not know that I am alcoholic.
So, fear of embarrassment or humiliation will, perhaps, be working against me.
However, my sobriety takes precedence over what any person thinks of me . . .

I am entirely ready, if needs be, to break my anonymity in order to maintain my sobriety.

I am posting this, so that I will have my priorities right on the night.
And, perhaps, so that a wee bit of potential embarrassment will be working on my side.
Let's hope your idea works, for both of us.

Please let me know how it goes for you this evening.

I'll do the same.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
July 4, 2014

Your signature, Dox.... wow, it means something entirely new at this point in my life! It's as if I were hearing those lyrics for the first time!

Originally Posted by dox View Post
Thanks for your post, Deangrant.
I hope it helps.
You have helped me already.
I am going into a situation where I will be offered a drink tonight.
These people know me, but do not know that I am alcoholic.
So, fear of embarrassment or humiliation will, perhaps, be working against me.
However, my sobriety takes precedence over what any person thinks of me . . .

I am entirely ready, if needs be, to break my anonymity in order to maintain my sobriety.

I am posting this, so that I will have my priorities right on the night.
And, perhaps, so that a wee bit of potential embarrassment will be working on my side.
Let's hope your idea works, for both of us.

Please let me know how it goes for you this evening.

I'll do the same.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this Dean!!

Get a plan together for this evening and stick to it, and before you know it you'll be waking up on a Saturday morning hangover free!!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Dean, stop and get an ice cream. Knocks cravings right out.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for your comments I really appreciate them. I'm on a motorbike so I'll go straight home no stops. I'm downloading some games and guitarband, I want to keep myself busy tonight! Thanks again for the support it makes a huge difference. Every time I tried to stop before I have a drink in hand thinking what's the point in giving up.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

There's always Coronation Street on a Friday - two episodes, too! Who needs games, Dean!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by inthekeyofg View Post
Good on ya, Deangrant!
I think posting here, and establishing the mindset (prior to even leaving work!) that you're not going to buy a bottle is a good idea! Are you using public transport, on foot, personal vehicle? Maybe, and this is just a thought, if you changed your method of arriving home you would also be less likely to go about the habitual route and thus decrease the possibility of buying one?
Today is my one week mark. I quite cigarettes and alcohol at the same time. I'm feeling pretty good -- a bit tired today, but it's Friday and that's also normal. Anyways, I actually left my money at home a few times over the past several days. I literally left my wallet at home. I took out my license and left everything else. I didn't want cash or a debit-card on my person fearful of what I might buy. I had visions of me buying a nice cup of coffee on lunch and then reaching for a 6-pack to start the afternoon off and a pack of smokes to boot.
Re-wiring the brain is hard!
Thanks I,m on a motorbike so I'll be going straight home no stops I do use different routs avoiding the supermarket. I'm actually quite shocked at how much money hasn't been leaving my bank account!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadLump View Post
There's always Coronation Street on a Friday - two episodes, too! Who needs games, Dean!
<3
Love me my Corrie!!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadLump View Post
. Well at lease you made me smile!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I made it home after a pretty horrible day at work. Thanks for the support and encouragement.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you Dean

D
Old 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

its nice to wake up saturdays and not be hung over. Its also nice to do stuff on a friday night other then sit around and get hammered
Old 07-12-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I dunno about anyone else but myself, but I got to a point where I didnt care what anyone else thought of my drinking. I didnt care what the liquor store merchant thought, I kept going back the same liquor all day long, being more and more drunk everytime I went in there. Rarely have I ever ran into a situation where the liquor store merchant cared if I came in more then once, or if I was too drunk. I didnt care if I pooped my pants, pee'd my pants, puked all down the front of my nice new clean white T-shirt, I didnt care how I smelt, didnt care if I showered. This is what happens when we drink, we just dont care, because we want all the alcohol in the world. We can barely talk, we can barely walk, we are puking our brains out, crawling on the floor, and here we are, wanting more booze. See this whole self will, better morals, what will people think of me didnt phase me when I wanted to drink. The choice whether to drink or not to drink is dependant on a few critical things. I needed something else in my life, to one - fill the gap of booze, and two to find a purpose in life. I cant do that drinking. Getting out of self is the only way we selfish, egotistical alcoholics are to live a serene and happy life. But there is a lot more to it.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Well done, Deangrant.
Many times, did I bungee a 12 pack of Stella onto my pillion seat.
Didn't matter what day of the week.

My situation on Friday was a little awkward; that's all.
I had to say that I don't drink.
I didn't have to explain more than that.

Sometimes, I worry too much.
At least I "worry" enough.
A little bit of fear can be healthy at times.

Not to sound complacent:
but, whilst working a programme of recovery, it actually gets easier over time . . .

Staying away from a drink.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Dox. This was my second weekend. I can't believe how much I got done being sober. I think of alcohol like cigarettes now matter how it's marketed.