Notices

I Corked 400 Bottles of Chardonnay Today

Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Corked 400 Bottles of Chardonnay Today

Close relatives of mine have recently started a winery. They are not officially open yet, but they have begun bottling their first batches. I had told them I would help out when it came time to start bottling. It's a small operation right now, but it is interesting to see in operation. Right now, almost all the work is done by hand. I used a corking apparatus like the one pictured at the link below.

Despite 400 bottles of chardonnay passing through my hands today, I had no desire to drink any of it. Diet Pepsi was another story I suppose "corking" wine bottles rather than "uncorking" them was appropriately symbolic for my current lifestyle choice.

Italian Floor Corker Midwest Supplies
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I cracked a bit about the reverse process analogy.

If I had to put back the corks on all the bottle I opened, Yikes! LOL

Pretty solid sobriety you have going there, nice!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a long way to go before I "recork" and "recap" all the alcoholic beverages I've consumed in my lifetime, but with a little luck and healthy habits, my sober years should about equal my drinking years. Fortunately, my drinking didn't become a problem until 7 years ago, but even in my "social" drinking days, I was very "social" when it came time to drink.

Honestly, today really wasn't about alcohol. It was all about spending time with family I dearly love and helping them to achieve their dream. That felt good.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Putting the plug in the jug
Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Very cool, Feenixx!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This seems like a strange thread
To be found on a sober site
MM
Old 07-10-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats definitely an action with alcohol that most of us havent done.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's interesting. I used to be employed soaking corks at the local winery.

It's an old SNL skit folks.........
Old 07-10-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiptree View Post
That's interesting. I used to be employed soaking corks at the local winery.

It's an old SNL skit folks.........
"cork soaker" Funny sketch. Fortunately, no cork soaking was required today.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's it
Old 07-10-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
This seems like a strange thread to be found on a sober site.
"In our belief any scheme of combating alcoholism which proposes to shield the sick man from temptation is doomed to failure. . . So our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking, if we have a legitimate reason for being there."

BB p. 101

In the past I would have avoided this situation. But these are very close family members starting a new business venture. They need the help, and I wanted to help because family is very important to me, and I genuinely enjoy spending time with them. So I had a choice, stay away and offer no help or decide my sobriety was secure enough to not only help my family but to also enjoy doing so. I knew I was strong enough to make it through the day, and I did so without any issues at all, even though every other person there was tasting samples of the various batches in production.

The point is I can't hide forever, I need to enjoy life without alcohol even if I'm literally surrounded by it. More importantly, I can't avoid my family members forever, all of whom are all normal drinkers.

And of course, I hope to give encouragement to those who still doubt that they can eventually enjoy a secure sober life even when alcohol is present.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice one!!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome! On any given day you will find me pulling pints and filling wine glasses at my bistro. I usually make the mimosas for Sunday brunch too!

My sobriety isn't dependent on my proximity to the stuff.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow...you are very strong in your recovery to be able to do that. Good for you! I am sure they appreciated your help too!

Have a great weekend!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
"In our belief any scheme of combating alcoholism which proposes to shield the sick man from temptation is doomed to failure. . . So our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking, if we have a legitimate reason for being there."

BB p. 101

In the past I would have avoided this situation. But these are very close family members starting a new business venture. They need the help, and I wanted to help because family is very important to me, and I genuinely enjoy spending time with them. So I had a choice, stay away and offer no help or decide my sobriety was secure enough to not only help my family but to also enjoy doing so. I knew I was strong enough to make it through the day, and I did so without any issues at all, even though every other person there was tasting samples of the various batches in production.

The point is I can't hide forever, I need to enjoy life without alcohol even if I'm literally surrounded by it. More importantly, I can't avoid my family members forever, all of whom are all normal drinkers.

And of course, I hope to give encouragement to those who still doubt that they can eventually enjoy a secure sober life even when alcohol is present.
As long as you intentions are true, which they seem to be then I say job well done my friend!

Did you have any interesting thoughts come up while you were corking the bottles? I found about five months into my sobriety my wife and I hosted another couple over for dinner. I went to my wine cellar (about 1,000 bottles) and chose a nice '07 Darioush Cab Sav. When I uncorked it there was a small drip going down the bottle and I unconsciously wiped it and was about to stick my finger in my mouth. Was a bit of a surprise and wake up. I have since hosted other events but I don't uncork the bottles, lol. In fact most of my events are now dry at my residence.

You seem to be doing well - congratulations!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You Say Tomato ~ I Say Tomahto

I think this is quite an illuminating Thread to be found on a Sober Site.

I hit my 6 month Soberversary today, and have no desire to tempt fate. That maxim has nothing to do with being around Alcohol in most situations. I.e., most situations simply don't tempt fare. We go out with Pals to Brewpubs occasionally. I go get Chicken Wings where there's Alcohol occasionally. I've actually been known to drive by Liquor Stores.

I sometimes include such experiences in my Posts here to show Noobies there's normal Life after Alcohol if they are compatible with such situations and thinking. If they aren't, they should avoid them. I have no wish to live my Sober Life in some Bubble. Howard Hughes lived that way to avoid Germs, and his Lifestyle doesn't interest me.

I'm a Mod on some other Pages. I'm content to let the Mods here decide what's 'strange' to be on this Site, and what isn't.

We're all different. What a concept.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 6 months MesaMan - well done!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Did you have any interesting thoughts come up while you were corking the bottles?

You seem to be doing well - congratulations!
Thank you. I come from a manufacturing/production background, and once upon a time, I planned and then set-up production lines for electronic products, so my thoughts for most of the day focused on how to make production faster, cheaper and more ergonomic. Now, no one was asking for my opinions on the subject, and I didn't give any, but those thoughts kept my mind on the "process" rather than the "product".

Honestly, At this point, I would probably still skip going to a bar to see a band or meet up with friends. But in yesterday's situation, I was there to help family and to spend time with family.

I felt very good about it afterwards. The nice thing about helping others, is that we often benefit much more than the people we've helped. IMO it's usually a win/win endeavor.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well done on six months MesaMan, I'm happy for you.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is pretty inspiring Well done, Feenixx!

Trying to imagine myself in this situation and just have no idea how I'd feel in your shoes. The monotony of that task would either drive me bonkers and I'd obsess over the fact there was wine in my hands... or I'd meditate and zone out and probably think of a million other things!