Notices

Mommy off two with a drink problem

Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, I have all the things you have as well - my children are 2 and 5 - but my drinking accelerated when I was at home all day with them. Not that I'm saying that you should go back to work, but that the idea that being a SAHM is the best deal in the world isn't always true. I think being alone with small children is very hard if you already have a drinking problem, because you're 'free' to indulge in ways that you couldn't in an office.

I'm not sure I'm saying anything except - you're not alone, and you can do this, and don't for a moment think that because you have X and Y things in your life, it makes it worse or more ridiculous to be an addict. Addiction doesn't discriminate.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks so much every one. I stupidly had one glass of wine last night, thought what the hell am I doing and stopped and decided that what is the point I am so so proud of myself, poured the rest of the bottle down the drain and feel like a champion, drinking is not fun and not cool, shew what a c easy ride!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
zjw

Thanks so much every one. I stupidly had one glass of wine last night, thought what the hell am I doing and stopped and decided that what is the point I am so so proud of myself, poured the rest of the bottle down the drain and feel like a champion, drinking is not fun and not cool, shew what a c easy ride!
I eventually realized there was just no point. If i thought booze was gonna solve some isuse in my head weather it be just a simple craving curiousity or i was angry or needed a reward I also new it was going to equally screw me. I new i was SOL if i tried to tango with the stuff it always won. The only way I could win was to not play.

I kinda hit a point where I didnt feel like i was missing our or that it was some how unfair that I couldnt drink and other people could. I hit a point where I'd just shrug my shoulders at the thought of drinking and be like oh well was fun while it lasted but life must go on now without it.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

every time you think of having one glass of wine, remember the pictures your husband took, the feeling of dread and embarrassment you woke up with and the way you felt having no self respect.

I had to get into the mindset that I was NOT controlled by a simple beverage.

also, think of all the calories you are saving by not drinking. Take a selfie pic weekly of your face, you will be amazed at the difference in how you lose the bloated shiny look.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As a recovered alcoholic myself, one glass is never enough and is playing with fire.

Moderation will always be impossible, no "negotiations" that is, I'm afraid.
Well done on dumping the rest of the bottle

You really have to keep in your mind that you cannot drink "safely" again.
Life sober, however, is much better than I ever thought possible.
Get through the first few months and you will see it too--you can do it
Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What was going on in your life that you thought a glass of wine would help? Seriously, I think it might be helpful to identify.

For me being able to drink one glass and pour out the rest would be much worse than having one and ending up on a multi day bender mixed with lots of drugs. To me what one would teach me is the false sense I could have one again. Then I might then that bender or worse might catch me off guard.

We all need to reach our own bottoms, emotionally, spiritually, financially, whatever it is. You wound up in puke naked in front of "friends" with your husband snapping photos to show you what a mess your life has become. But a week afterwards you thought a glass would be a good idea? Do you not see the insanity here? While it may sound like judgement, I have done much worse. I had much pride and self will early on. I would likely have a negative reaction to this post but others did it for me and bits stuck with me. I hope I can return the favor.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

At 7 days sober, you have a good foundation for building a future without alcohol. You feel ashamed and disgusted enough with yourself to come here seeking help, so keep that in mind as you consider partaking, again, in the very thing that causes it all. It's not always easy to say NO, but if you want to change the direction of your life and hold onto everything you could lose by drinking, it is necessary. You don't have to do this alone. There are so many people and resources at SR at your disposal. I'd imagine there are support groups in your area, too (?). If nothing else, if you feel like you need help, you could maybe see your doctor. Wishing you all the best.

Just saw that you had one glass of wine last night. Glad you stopped at one! Don't worry. You still have 7 days of sobriety behind you. Hold on to how that felt and pick yourself up and move forward.