Notices

Crazy craving, again

Old 07-10-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Wish I craved those things instead of alcohol, although not sure it would be nice to be addicted to them.

I do think that these cravings (for whatever) lose a lot from frequency and intensity with increasing time in abstinence, we know that from experience. But it takes a long time. It is because of the lack of reinforcement, which is having our drug or food of choice. Food actually tends to be a stronger reinforcer than drugs, especially the kind that you mentioned, but less so when someone is heavily addicted to a drug and is actively using it. It's pretty crazy how rats in an experiment get hooked on chocolate, for example.
Haennie - you mentioned eating disorders I think in a response to one of my comments. About 6 months into recovery for me I started to notice the same tendencies towards cookies. My wife would make these chocolate chip cookies and I would say just one to myself and end up eating them all until they were gone. Realizing cookies did nothing and I was deluded in my thinking I applied the same technique to cut them out of my life. Then I noticed the same thing with bread. I am 6'1" maybe 6'2" in the mornings and I weighed 265lbs in January. I have not had wheat or processed sugar (excluding a test earlier this week) in seven plus months.

Now I weigh 223lbs and much fitter. This week I tried one small bite of some crumb cake on Tuesday. I had tennis practice in the afternoon and I was so off. It turns out my body cannot process the wheat. Anyhow, my point is I found the phenomena of craving in other foods and addictions. Its interesting for me at least to see the parallels and feel like I am developing the tools to deal with not just alcohol but the mindset woven throughout my addictions.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

wow - that was brave of you . I am so happy to read tht you could give in craving . Strength shows the character of person . You showed us all the strength . Keep posting your feelings and cravings here . We all are here as a family to help you .
Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Matt - Yes craving and obsession are not identical phenomena, but some parts of them are related. I think craving does not necessarily imply obsession, an example would be craving a food item on some days just because we know it's delicious, but it's not an obsessive relationship, we just like to eat it sometimes and other times don't care. I also often crave some activity related to my interests, but it's not exaggerated and is not in the center of my thoughts very often. Obsession, however, more often than not involve craving the object of the obsession or some sort of identification with it, even if it's not an object that we physically consume. I got obsessed with many different rather abstract ideas and concepts also and desired reading and thinking about them excessively. So, not identical, but related, in my opinion.

JD - I'm glad you got a hold on those food issues. Congrats on the weight loss. Yes absolutely we can crave anything we like, and it's actually a very similar mechanism neurobiologically, many of the same brain components involved. I also got obsessed with 1:1 interpersonal interactions several times online. That, to me, felt quite similar to alcohol cravings at times. It even responds to cues, like drug addictions. For example, we have these dots under our avatars that can indicate on/offline status. Many websites have this feature. Not on SR, but in more 1:1 contexts, seeing that the people I was in a mutual obsession with for a while were online by looking at those color dots can literally give me a sudden dopamine boost and elevate my mood. Sometimes solely seeing it was so rewarding, I would check in just to get "dosed" seeing their presence. So in this context, the little dot is the cue that my brain learned to associate with the individuals. So I personally opt to turn off these features anymore when I can because I had problems with them in the past.

Soul - Thank you Posting about it really helps; I did not do it in the beginning when I had cravings every day, often multiple and long ones because I was thinking that would be crazy to post each time. I did it twice on SR more recently, and it's even helpful two days after that I come here for positive reinforcement regarding my decision and related discussion.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

haennie i could have not explained it more myself . I get the addiction of online or obsession of finding that green button . It has also helped me find the reasons to why i get high at those points . Once you know those reasons it helps overcome them and be strong . Ever been obsessed looking at ex FB or constant need to be in touch with person or even after breaks up need to know what ex's is upto . not to see if they made it in life or not . Just a need to see they are happy . For me it was reflection of what i wanted from people . Due to child hood issues i wont bore folks here with but i relaized i never loved my self and in order to love my self i needed that boost from others . It was a vicious circle . Once i understood the issue i wont say i am out of it but i know how to control it and not let the problem control me . For my personal pride and dignity is most important hence i could fight all those obsessions . Been at young age alcoholic . Fought it . Been sex addict and fought . Now overall very successful professional with very positive life and so happy that i could fight it . But i must admit i would have not been able to without help of forums like this .

I still at times get urges to do things which i am not suppose to and hence i come to these forumns . read them get opinion of folks here and get strong . So you should do the same . We all are family who wont judge and help you stay focused .