Notices

24 hours in...

Old 07-05-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 hours in...

Hi all, 24 hours since i finished my last bottle of vodka.

Haven't slept at all overnight, shakes and sweats came on late morning complemented by nausea and diahorrea. Body keeps switching from hot to cold, but on the plus side it seems to have alleviated a little this morning.

Against much well informed advice im going cold turkey as this is my first ever time to kick the habit. Usually I'd be an outwardly functional all day secret drinker - but I'm not craving my bottle and a half this morning.

Fingers crossed..
Old 07-06-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tsunami.
Good on you for making such a decision.
You will feel this way for a few days.
If you feel it's getting out of hand, for example, if you start hallucinating, I'd suggest you call a doctor.
Occasionally, cold turkey can be dangerous.
Keep posting here about how you're getting on.
You'll recieve great support and good advice.
I'll be thinking of you.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post

Haven't slept at all overnight, shakes and sweats came on late morning complemented by nausea and diahorrea. Body keeps switching from hot to cold, but on the plus side it seems to have alleviated a little this morning.

Against much well informed advice im going cold turkey as this is my first ever time to kick the habit. Usually I'd be an outwardly functional all day secret drinker - but I'm not craving my bottle and a half this morning.

Fingers crossed..
Hi. Good luck! Just remember your best thoughts and efforts got you to this point and as they say “how’s it working for you?” Yep harsh but dying from the results of withdrawal is not a chosen, by most, way to go.
I strongly recommend medical attention, better safe than sorry.

BE WELL
Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tsunami.
Congratulations on your first step.
I too decided to go cold turkey, but after an exceptionally bad panic attack I saw my doctor.
If you feel like everything is too much I suggest you visit yours.
They are there to help, non-judgemental and can make detox far more tolerable.
Keep posting and wishing you all the best.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I'm actually doing ok this afternoon now, so far at least. Going to try and eat a little, catch up on vitamins and just rest up. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great choice tsunami to quit. As others have mentioned, withdrawal can potentially be very dangerous. And sometime the worse of it can come in 2 or 3 days in. If you choose to refuse to seek medical attention, please make sure someone close to you is aware of what you are doing in case you become incapacitated. Seizures, strokes and heart related issues are fairly rare but possible side effects of withdrawal.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post

Fingers crossed..
I'm right there with you. I'm 36 hours in and had a massive craving but it passed. I'm staying right here and reading the comments from some really great and supportive people. I felt rough yesterday but feel much better today hopefully you'll feel better soon.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same to you Deangrant, plenty of sunshine and fresh air this afternoon seems to have done the world of good. Still apprehensive of the next few days though... Good luck!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job!! Keep it going!!