Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do AA members think The Big Book is always right?

Notices

Do AA members think The Big Book is always right?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

The Big Book has been a great help to me in sobriety. It's offered insight into myself and other alcoholics. I continue to use it and whatever other tools I can to keep me sober.

It is suggestive only and I have taken the suggestions kindly. I still learn from it on a daily basis.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

So, after reading through all of this hoping to find an the answer to the OP question. I guess there is no answer. I did discover that folks like to be right.

I do know this though. I was never delusional about my problem with alcohol. It just never caused me any great harm. So I was good with being a drunk at times. And other times just drinking to live.
However, one day my drinking changed my life. It was then I quit drinking. I quit drinking before I was made to go to rehab. I quit drinking before I was made to go to AA. I came to the conclusion that my drinking was not good for my well being. So I just quit. Yep, just like that. Not to say I still didn't struggle for a time thinking I could still drink some day. Or thinking I could have one or two along the way. Reading the stories here on SR and from what I learned by going to meetings showed me it's something that I don't want to risk experimenting with, the idea that I could drink in moderation. The risk outweighs the reward for me. A few months later I learned about an alternative to AA. I bought into it immediately. I no longer want to drink again. I am learning how to live and enjoy life without drinking. I no longer question it (using alcohol) as an alternative choice. What this has to do with the big book I don't know. The same as many of the previous posts I suppose.

Last edited by LBrain; 07-06-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 07-06-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I'm not sure why either side of this discussion seems adamant to be the "correct interpretation" when both clearly are equally possible. Surely I'm not the only guy here who can speak of experiencing both of the above delusions?
I've experienced both. Not a guy though
Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts.

Refer my earlier post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4761366

and rule 4

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.
Dee
SR
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I've experienced both. Not a guy though
Yeah, thanks. You know, I'm unsure how guy or a gal could really only experience one side of the equation. I'm not saying that no one does, just saying no one sided explanation works for me I guess, even after its been explained out to me, it falls short for me.

I already knew your not a regular guy, Jennie. your a gal. I just usually say guy for both genders unless its rude then I say guy and or gal too. You know that I know too, lol. But I get it, no worries. Its all good.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I already knew your not a regular guy, Jennie. your a gal. I just usually say guy for both genders unless its rude then I say guy and or gal too. You know that I know too, lol. But I get it, no worries. Its all good.
yeah, was just kidding ya really
Old 07-07-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I take only what I need and leave the rest. I do read the book, but not all the time. I mostly just rely on it to be there when I start to stray away and need to be reeled back in. I don't really think of it as the holy grail or anything, but it has saved my life. So I'll keep reading it from time to time.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

It has certainly been accurate and insightful for me for many years now.

It was Greek the first time I opened it (in treatment), but I have learned more about it in BB meetings and by reading it over and over again.

YMMV.