Notices

Wife Doesn't Get It

Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Harford View Post
How do you explain to a non addict how it feels to stop drinking?
Feelings are tough, if not impossible, to explain to a person who has never had those feelings.

If someone had said to me "I can't control my weight", before I turned 35 years old - I simply would have said "don't eat so much". Because at that time, my body and emotions responded to my will-power. However, after turning 35, my body and emotions got a mind of their own and will-power failed to do the job.

If someone had said to me "I can't control my drinking", before I became alcoholic - I simply would have said "don't drink so much". Because at that time my body and emotions responded to my will-power. However, after becoming an alcoholic, my body and emotions got a mind of their own and will-power failed to do the job.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
LDT

I think this early in sobriety it is completely reasonable to ask your wife to give you some space and respect your desire to avoid parties for a while. It's also reasonable to ask her to refrain from drinking in your presence (if she does)......At least until you are stronger. That's what we do for those we love.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My husband said the same thing to me that your wife said... just don't drink They really don't get it. They can listen to you, read about it, educate themselves. That's about all they can do. He compares giving up cigarettes to my quitting drinking. Not sure he'll ever truly understand, and that's ok. What did help him the most was attending a presentation and lecture called The Broken Brain where a former addict explained addiction from a neuroscience angle. This helped us both tremendously.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is a great topic, thanks OP. . . . .

To those recommending "sugar replacement theory," did it work for you? I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'd be happy if someone started another thread on it (or I could but no expert obviously).

Sugar becomes a "methadone" type of thing I suppose. However, my experience is that sugar/starch/simple carbs play a mutually supporting role in cravings-- that is to say if I have some pizza at lunch, the craving for a beer at dinner is WORSE.

Back to the thread topic-- I would think asking someone to read the Big Book might be daunting. Is there a pamphlet or a web link that would be more palatable
Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't know how to explain what it is like to be an alcoholic. I don't even try. I'm sorry.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by July1 View Post
... I would think asking someone to read the Big Book might be daunting.
All you need to know is the first 3 words on page 112.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
All you need to know is the first 3 words on page 112.

"read this book." ?
Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by July1 View Post
"read this book." ?
Madest thou look!

(oldest trick in the book)
Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't explain to someone what experiencing alcoholism is like, any more than I can describe what it's like to have cerebral palsy.

But, at least with respect to alcoholism, there are places like SR where you *can* find support and understanding Harford

D