Notices

Neighbor issues

Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Neighbor issues

I live in a nice area of fairly expensive townhouses and apartments. A year ago after the house to the left of me was on the market for a while finally it was rented out as subsidized housing. Two single mothers live in there with their kids but there other people constantly in and out all hours of the day

and night. I am the only one right next to this house. My nearest other neighbor is far away on the other side or across the street. They are not good neighbors. They are not friendly but that isn't the problem. They fight all day and night which I can hear through the walls or out in front of my house. I can hear what they are fighting about which will have to do with

coping drugs...child support etc..always angry conversations and fights. they don't take care of the house and yard at all...they don't work so it's not like they don't have time...they are really a liability for property value. A couple of my neighbors are mad that I don't complain at the town meetings. Its

somehow my job now tho try to get rid of these people. I don't want to do anything because i care about the kids and quite frankly I don't want to get stabbed by one of these girls boyfriends. i would love them to go away though as they are effecting my quality of life..nothing like coming home after

a day of work to a twenty minute jerry springer fight in front of your house...well that is just my vent..and if anybody had any suggestions...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cobo i really empathise .

There is nothing worse than horrible neighbours , it can really affect you life .
It's easy for the others in your group to put the onus on you ! That isn't fair at all.

So don't feel guilty on their behalf .

I can understand your unease about repercussions because that's a very real aspect .

We had 2 single guys sharing the rented house behind us for 3 months .

They partied every single night and we are in a cul de sac , not much traffic , very quiet.

I was on my own with the girls at that time and was too intimidated to approach them and their huge pit bull .

They would swear on the top of their drunken voices , the girlfriends would scream and it drove me to tears . I knew from their foul mouths i would get a serve , even if i asked nicely .

It ruined my life for months , i wish i had gone to the council earlier , but I'm sure they would have known it was me and i had kids and 2 dogs to protect .

The neighbours that are pushing you to do this , put it on them if you feel unsafe

Good luck xx
Old 07-02-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cabo,

I empathize, too. I have always been very environmentally sensitive in many ways, unwanted noises coming from the neighborhood is just one. I have also moved around a lot, many times, so have definitely been exposed to a variety of effects.

Do you own the house/apartment where you live? If not, obviously moving could be a possible way to change it - I've done it several times in my life for the sake of my peace when I failed to tolerate the environment. But we can also do a lot to reduce the disturbing/harmful effects - for example, to filter out noises that bother me, I very frequently use all sorts of white noise (and similar) machines, not only at night. They don't completely remove the unwanted sounds, of course, but really help reduce the disturbing effects for me.

Like you, I've also always hesitated talking to disrespectful and noisy neighbors, so I understand. If you think there are illegal activities going in, could you report it to the police maybe?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

definatley illegal activity going on which is actually another reason i don't want to bother...i really don't feel like having court dates in the future..im not a big fan of court
Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tough situation. I fear that confrontation will only serve to risk retaliation. They may not be ready (does not sound like it) to listen to reason and it sounds like they are involved in illegal activities, which can breed more illegal responses towards you.

The old me would sabotage them to get what I wanted. But I think that would be bad advice. I think this is an example of working hard to try and turn this over.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I live in a nice area of fairly expensive townhouses and apartments. A year ago after the house to the left of me was on the market for a while finally it was rented out as subsidized housing. Two single mothers live in there with their kids but there other people constantly in and out all hours of the day

and night. I am the only one right next to this house. My nearest other neighbor is far away on the other side or across the street. They are not good neighbors. They are not friendly but that isn't the problem. They fight all day and night which I can hear through the walls or out in front of my house. I can hear what they are fighting about which will have to do with

coping drugs...child support etc..always angry conversations and fights. they don't take care of the house and yard at all...they don't work so it's not like they don't have time...they are really a liability for property value. A couple of my neighbors are mad that I don't complain at the town meetings. Its

somehow my job now tho try to get rid of these people. I don't want to do anything because i care about the kids and quite frankly I don't want to get stabbed by one of these girls boyfriends. i would love them to go away though as they are effecting my quality of life..nothing like coming home after

a day of work to a twenty minute jerry springer fight in front of your house...well that is just my vent..and if anybody had any suggestions...
Why not try diplomacy? Knock on the door, introduce yourself, take them a pie or cookies or whatever and welcome them to the neighborhood. Perhaps it will affect the situation positively perhaps it won't. Even if it doesn't, you now have the moral high ground in any future interactions and know you have tried to do the right thing.

I too have a "bad neighbor" next door and I have found that being super nice and positive has produced better results than complaints and manipulations. These types of neighbors simply don't care about others and the more you try to force good behavior out of them the worse they will act. They are very used to people being unhappy with them, they are used to people complaining about them, they are comfortable with it and usually don't give a rats #%& about the consequences.
However, when confronted with kindness and "a good example" sometimes they will begrudgingly do the right thing. I think I have "shamed" my neighbor into doing the right thing more than once. She simply doesn't have a leg to stand on, LOL!

I encourage you to set boundaries and enforce them; just as with all personal interactions.

I wish you luck, it's a tough situation all round. I so understand. Keep us posted.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Is it possible to contact the homeowners? I'm sure they don't want this happening on their property.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am nice and civil with them. One thing is there is always someone different there...somehow they all have the same behavior. they all have cars too which is nice to know where my tax dollar is going..there always like 5 cars there and any given time
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
nice to know where my tax dollar is going..there always like 5 cars there and any given time
I thought they were dealing drugs? I find a car is typically the first thing most people want to buy - its instant gratification and flashy too.

DO you see a therapist cabo? If so maybe discussing this and the range of emotions you are feeling as a result. Its interesting that there seems to be some embedded (my perception) anger towards them maybe not because of the disturbance but because they are not playing by the same rules as you. I could be reading way too much into this with many assumptions, which might not be fair but worth a look?

When I was just starting out in my mid 20s in my career I had a townhouse. I was in a gated community but renting. My neighbors were either pro basketball players, rich students from the UAE, or divorces. It made for an interesting scene at the community pool to say the least. Towards the end of my time there I had a group of kids that went to Bentley College move into the 1 unit town home next to us (ours was a 2 unit loft). They partied all the time. It helped provide me with the kick I needed to move out. But in hind sigh I felt jealousy towards some of the other renters, particularly the kids form the UAE that drove the Ferarri's and Porsches on trust fund dollars. Your comment about the cars triggered that memory for me. For me it was all my issues, not the others but I would have rationalized it back then being the other people.

Not sure if any of this fits with you but that was what came to mind with your post.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

no they get the cars from government programs. this is just the gossip..idk for sure...they aren't nice cars...its's just cars in and out all day and night though...one guy parks right up against my driveway..
Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

record it all with video and sound then put it on youtube, post a note through the door asking i they can let you know in advance when the next fight is so you dont miss recording it....
Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

situations like that they will sadly leave one day the house will be trashed all the apliances will have long since been sold for wtvr reason. the owner will be left with a worthless prorperty iwth so much damaage and he'll have no one to go after. I'd talk to the owner fo the property about it.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree - contact the property owner first. If they don't' care make an anonymous tip to the police.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you report the disturbances to the police, they will come out and talk to the people.

You won't have to go to court.

The downside is they most likely will know it was you.

I sympathize, we just went through something similar lately and it took seven months to get them out. Definitely tell the homeowner - but doubt he/she will do anything unless there is damage to the unit.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How would I go about finding the owner of the property..being that it'a subsidized housing. I don't know if that means its one single owner. I rather do this myself then to talk to my other neighbors.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wouldn't there be a record of it in your county courthouse?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice Guy Disease

We've got 3 paid off Houses. I've played 'Slumlord', as I jokingly call myself, for several Decades. Stick a Fork in my Azz; I'm done. No more Rentals.

From the top... A lot of the well-intentioned Posts here have what I call 'Nice Guy Disease'. Folks think [wish?] things worked by Rules of Law. Or, there will be Landlord thoughtfulness [of course they'll do something when contacted]. Or, that Court action will prevail, and make things 'right'. That's what happens in Movies, right? This is akin to wishing that Alks should think and behave a certain, logical way. Nope. I, too, suffered from a serious case of 'Nice Guy Disease', thinking that getting Cops or local Council involved would work. IME, it rarely does.

Ask anyone here about 'fairness' of the Court System re: dealing with outrageous Alk behavior, or Child Support, or staying in the House to maintain stability for the Kids.

Just as dearly held opinions about which Recovery Program/Approach is 'best' is then projected onto others here, Values held dear about what civilized behavior is 'best' are being projected onto these problematic Neighbors. This is a huge error. They are not like us. They like among us. Accepting this Reality allows for true Corrective Action. Note my Signature Line.

1. Assuming they have a Mortgage, the Homeowners bleed money monthly. They 'descended' to settling on the Renters currently there to end that money hemorrhaging. They likely do not want these Renters out. They likely cannot afford $$ to take that 'High Road' and conform to the Values we think should prevail: acting civilized. Section 8 Housing means the Homeowners get their monthly Check on time from the Gumment. I declined a Section 8 [Subsidized] Renter the single time it came up. Many are problematic.

2. The Neighbors From Hell have had prior blowouts with prior Neighbors. Take that one to the Bank. They likely saw attempts to 'constrain' their egregious Behavior as being 'hassled' unfairly. This is how such Folks think. If they were aware how obnoxious their behavior is, and what Societal expectations to the contrary are, they wouldn't be acting as they are. IMO, to think a 'talking to' will change them is - ta da - naive, 'Nice Guy Disease'. That the World should work a certain way because others share this same vision of Civility. They do not. If they did, this Thread would not exist.

3. The Cops and Courts can do little about such behavior. We wish they could, just as we wish Alks could see the collateral damage they do. Neither wish is likely to be realized.

4. You WILL suffer retribution if your efforts to change this situation are detectable. Staying 'Stealth' is critical.

While remaining Stealth, I would focus all my efforts on busting them for Drug Trafficking. I had a Renter doing this, and had no clue of it. She went from Ideal Renter to Scumbag Renter when her Husband left. She started moving Coke. Up to 60 Cars/day stopped to buy. A Letter from the DEA, threatening to take my House, caused me to take action. A Neighbor across the Street said nothing to me because she knew her Son was buying Coke there, and didn't want him busted. This Son knew my Wife at the local High School. We lived ~30 minutes away.

The present flow of Cars at all hours tells me something illegal is going on next door. Perhaps low key, small amount Meth sales. This would explain the Jerry Springer Episodes. If Money's tight, amateurish Drug Trafficking is thought to be one way out.

On the QT, I would call the Cops to bust when Drug Traffic peaks. Some of this is luck. Some is you paying attention to patterns of when Traffic peaks repeatably, and having them busted late on a weekend night. Time is on your side. They'll keep getting sloppier in their Trafficking, and easier to bust.

This tactic shifts the stakes to a very different plane. The Homeowner will be forced to take action. The Legal Charges will not be about 'vaporous' Behavioral Charges, like 'Nuisance' behavior. Drugs are drugs; high stakes Offenses. ~70% of Foster Kids and abandoned Pets in the next Colorado County over is Meth-caused. These Kids next door winding up in Foster Care might very well be the better outcome. Steer your laudable Kid concern toward making that happen.

Either way, you're at some risk if exposed. Therefore, consider taking any risk only if there's a high probability the Neighbors will be busted and/or removed. This Drugs-based course of action will go down fairly quickly. Another advantage.

My current, closest Neighbor ~1/2 mile away with 5 DUIs once shot at me. I shot back. He has not bothered me since. His beef was that we bought our 80 Retirement Acres on a gorgeous Mesa-top, and he simply didn't want us there. This former HS Service Club President and Student Government Geek/High Achiever also had terminal 'Nice Guy Disease'. I thought we could calmly discuss what our Easement Access in Law is. I thought we could agree on where our confirmed Survey Pins/Property Corners are. I thought Logic always prevailed. Not when the other Party is fuming Vodka at 10:30 in the morning, with Neck Veins straining out while screaming at me. The more calm I stayed and the more A-R Facts I had, the more enraged he'd get. I tried Civility for ~2 years. A few Rounds from my Titanium-Frame .357 sent the message: Don't eff with me. Peace now ensues.

One reason I went sober early this year was to not put at risk my third, 5 year Concealed Carry License. A question about Alcohol Treatment and Drinking Infractions is thee very first one on the CCW Permit Application. I need to be armed more than I need to be hammered. I could not risk going to Rehab and have it be on the Record. As the old saying goes re: my 'challenging' Home Detox after 42 years of Drinking: 'That which does not kill you makes you stronger'.

The County Clerk & Recorder Offices can confirm who owns the Property. Starting with the Address, and moving on to the Legal Description, will also list the Owner. Many such Records are all on line, including past Property Sales. I would see how close/far away the Owners are. I would drive by their House to see how nice it looks; an indication of their own Property 'Consciousness'.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
We've got 3 paid off Houses. I've played 'Slumlord', as I jokingly call myself, for several Decades. Stick a Fork in my Azz; I'm done. No more Rentals.

From the top... A lot of the well-intentioned Posts here have what I call 'Nice Guy Disease'. Folks think [wish?] things worked by Rules of Law. Or, there will be Landlord thoughtfulness [of course they'll do something when contacted]. Or, that Court action will prevail, and make things 'right'. That's what happens in Movies, right? This is akin to wishing that Alks should think and behave a certain, logical way. Nope. I, too, suffered from a serious case of 'Nice Guy Disease', thinking that getting Cops or local Council involved would work. IME, it rarely does.

Ask anyone here about 'fairness' of the Court System re: dealing with outrageous Alk behavior, or Child Support, or staying in the House to maintain stability for the Kids.

Just as dearly held opinions about which Recovery Program/Approach is 'best' is then projected onto others here, Values held dear about what civilized behavior is 'best' are being projected onto these problematic Neighbors. This is a huge error. They are not like us. They like among us. Accepting this Reality allows for true Corrective Action. Note my Signature Line.

1. Assuming they have a Mortgage, the Homeowners bleed money monthly. They 'descended' to settling on the Renters currently there to end that money hemorrhaging. They likely do not want these Renters out. They likely cannot afford $$ to take that 'High Road' and conform to the Values we think should prevail: acting civilized. Section 8 Housing means the Homeowners get their monthly Check on time from the Gumment. I declined a Section 8 [Subsidized] Renter the single time it came up. Many are problematic.

2. The Neighbors From Hell have had prior blowouts with prior Neighbors. Take that one to the Bank. They likely saw attempts to 'constrain' their egregious Behavior as being 'hassled' unfairly. This is how such Folks think. If they were aware how obnoxious their behavior is, and what Societal expectations to the contrary are, they wouldn't be acting as they are. IMO, to think a 'talking to' will change them is - ta da - naive, 'Nice Guy Disease'. That the World should work a certain way because others share this same vision of Civility. They do not. If they did, this Thread would not exist.

3. The Cops and Courts can do little about such behavior. We wish they could, just as we wish Alks could see the collateral damage they do. Neither wish is likely to be realized.

4. You WILL suffer retribution if your efforts to change this situation are detectable. Staying 'Stealth' is critical.

While remaining Stealth, I would focus all my efforts on busting them for Drug Trafficking. I had a Renter doing this, and had no clue of it. She went from Ideal Renter to Scumbag Renter when her Husband left. She started moving Coke. Up to 60 Cars/day stopped to buy. A Letter from the DEA, threatening to take my House, caused me to take action. A Neighbor across the Street said nothing to me because she knew her Son was buying Coke there, and didn't want him busted. This Son knew my Wife at the local High School. We lived ~30 minutes away.

The present flow of Cars at all hours tells me something illegal is going on next door. Perhaps low key, small amount Meth sales. This would explain the Jerry Springer Episodes. If Money's tight, amateurish Drug Trafficking is thought to be one way out.

On the QT, I would call the Cops to bust when Drug Traffic peaks. Some of this is luck. Some is you paying attention to patterns of when Traffic peaks repeatably, and having them busted late on a weekend night. Time is on your side. They'll keep getting sloppier in their Trafficking, and easier to bust.

This tactic shifts the stakes to a very different plane. The Homeowner will be forced to take action. The Legal Charges will not be about 'vaporous' Behavioral Charges, like 'Nuisance' behavior. Drugs are drugs; high stakes Offenses. ~70% of Foster Kids and abandoned Pets in the next Colorado County over is Meth-caused. These Kids next door winding up in Foster Care might very well be the better outcome. Steer your laudable Kid concern toward making that happen.

Either way, you're at some risk if exposed. Therefore, consider taking any risk only if there's a high probability the Neighbors will be busted and/or removed. This Drugs-based course of action will go down fairly quickly. Another advantage.

My current, closest Neighbor ~1/2 mile away with 5 DUIs once shot at me. I shot back. He has not bothered me since. His beef was that we bought our 80 Retirement Acres on a gorgeous Mesa-top, and he simply didn't want us there. This former HS Service Club President and Student Government Geek/High Achiever also had terminal 'Nice Guy Disease'. I thought we could calmly discuss what our Easement Access in Law is. I thought we could agree on where our confirmed Survey Pins/Property Corners are. I thought Logic always prevailed. Not when the other Party is fuming Vodka at 10:30 in the morning, with Neck Veins straining out while screaming at me. The more calm I stayed and the more A-R Facts I had, the more enraged he'd get. I tried Civility for ~2 years. A few Rounds from my Titanium-Frame .357 sent the message: Don't eff with me. Peace now ensues.

One reason I went sober early this year was to not put at risk my third, 5 year Concealed Carry License. A question about Alcohol Treatment and Drinking Infractions is thee very first one on the CCW Permit Application. I need to be armed more than I need to be hammered. I could not risk going to Rehab and have it be on the Record. As the old saying goes re: my 'challenging' Home Detox after 42 years of Drinking: 'That which does not kill you makes you stronger'.

The County Clerk & Recorder Offices can confirm who owns the Property. Starting with the Address, and moving on to the Legal Description, will also list the Owner. Many such Records are all on line, including past Property Sales. I would see how close/far away the Owners are. I would drive by their House to see how nice it looks; an indication of their own Property 'Consciousness'.
wow....well maybe I can just move. i am going to move eventually anyway.

i know people come by late at night for drugs. One time this guy came banging on the door late at night screaming and the girl inside locked it then called the cop....imagine a drug dealer calling the cop the get a john off her property....
Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Good fences make good neighbors.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

the people next store got the boot.yesterday.don't know how or why..don't really care..my neighbors made a gossip circle around the house this morning. with the trucks taking out all the junk. I didn't do anything..they think I did and they like me more...i'm not saying anything