Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Continuing Care Pressuring AA, Sponsor or Therapy

Notices

Continuing Care Pressuring AA, Sponsor or Therapy

Old 07-03-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Just another random thought:

I'm reminded (for my own recovery especially, given so many relapses) of quite a number of individuals I've known in both AA and rehab outpatients - yes, some with several years sobriety and involvement in one or both types of groups - who have, sadly, relapsed and quite shortly after, died. Either from suicide or from the body just not being able to handle drinking that last time, and so they have died in the most frightful ways, from the inside as it were.

this for me is a literally sobering reminder that in the final analysis, it really does come down to how I'm working (or not) on my mind and spiritual / inner life. Years of AA meetings or outpatients' group are worth diddly squat without that constant inner work and walking the path. I really GET that now, after quite some years.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

That's good stuff, Vic.

It is so scary to realize sometimes the percent of addicts who fail at sobriety. The odds are against us, statistically anyway. I want to do all the things I can and need to do to live the best sober life possible.

I really appreciate your comments. Thanks again
Old 07-03-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

In my humble opinion, no-one should be "pressured" to go to AA. The Fellowship works on attraction, not promotion. Working the Steps has worked for countless thousands and is suggested as a means of recovery. Like jumping out of an airplane with a parachute, it is suggested that you pull that rip-cord well prior to hitting the ground.
You have been sober for 450 days .... the Steps vastly improve the quality of sobriety, no matter where we are at.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

In my humble opinion, no-one should be "pressured" to go to AA. The Fellowship works on attraction, not promotion. Working the Steps has worked for countless thousands and is suggested as a means of recovery. Like jumping out of an airplane with a parachute, it is suggested that you pull that rip-cord well prior to hitting the ground.
You have been sober for 450 days ....there is no "wrong way" to stay sober. The Steps vastly improve the quality of sobriety, no matter where we are at.
Why are "they" doing this ? Why the pressure ? Hey Jennie, and walk away !! They are ignorant and you do not need this crap. Who cares how "they" get their kicks? Walk away and back into AA. There you will not be judged nor pressured and we in AA do together what we cannot do alone.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
My question is: Why are they doing this? Why the pressure? I'm there because I chose to be there. I took myself to day treatment. I took myself to CC. I wanted to get sober. I'm doing the work. Why do others continue to throw their opinions on me as to what they think I need to be doing? If this is what the recovery community is about, frankly, I'm better doing it on my own. It's laughable to walk into a room and have a two month old sober person tell me what I need to be doing But the real concern is that the counselors seem to think it's NOT ok to solely rely on CC as my support. And whenever I've mentioned SR, they stare at me blankly. They just seem to think it's a joke.
I think you know the answers but are looking for approval in this post. Just my opinion but that is what you are looking for right? Perhaps its what others see in you at the meeting. For me when I know a truth subconsioculy but force my will to repress it to get my way, I want others to acknowledge and accept as a way for me to accept a decision I know deep down is wrong.

If you are working the 12 steps, even on your own, the program is not about self will. In fact, its the exact opposite. Its a spiritual program and finding strength outside of yourself. Further, the 12th step is about helping others and service once you have had a spiritual awakening. So by not going to meetings, I am confused how you can work the 12th step?

Perhaps this is the wrong program for you and you may want to consider AVRT or another cognitive approach as a rational program to augment what you are already doing (in line with your freethinking stance). Of course if everything is working out fine, I am a little confused by the reason for the post - again why I think its more about seeking approval from others to support a position you yourself are questioning subconciously. But as a Psychologist you already know this.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Strongly agree

Jdooner, I agree ... the classic rejoinder for those who rely on self will is this : next time you get a savage stomach upset, try a dose of self will ... a bit earthy but then I am Australian ! Willpower is totally ineffective in preventing us from picking up a drink. The book Alcoholics Anonymous is all about finding a power greater than SELF.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I want to do all the things I can and need to do to live the best sober life possible.
You tend to over-analize everything. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I to over-analize everything. It did cost me a few relapses at first, but I think it made my understanding of recovery stronger in the long run (I learned a lot about what doesn't work).

That being said, I suspect that it was my study of Existentialism and Zen that saved me from fallacious reasoning. They taught me that I could think all I want - so long as I never fully trust my own thinking.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The 11th tradition states AA public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion. Why when someone's not attracted to AA do so many members resort to promotion, and violate this tradition?

Maybe there's a fine line between sharing "ES&H" and promoting the program.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
The 11th tradition states AA public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion. Why when someone's not attracted to AA do so many members resort to promotion, and violate this tradition?
Where are you seeing promotion?

Sorry I thought you meant in the responses to the OP - I see in the OPs comments Mirage74. I agree.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Actually, jdooner, I was speaking in regards to the responses. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but when someone is moving in a path that is not the "traditional" AA program, other AA members sometimes provide traditional" AA solutions (from the BB, etc.). I'm just not sure that's what she looking for.

I think she questioning people's motives. Who is in a position to question anyone else's path to recovery, especially if they've achieved some quality sobriety under their belt? If someone doesn't buy into the program, no amount of coersion is going to change their mind. Or at least the tradition is against it in principal.

Maybe I'm off base, maybe it's not promotion and just ES&H. I just try to keep my side of the street clean. If someone wants what I got, great. If not, that's ok too. Just my 2cents. Peace
Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I read the literature and work the steps on my own, and am pretty happy with that so far. I do stay in contact with my old sponsor, but it's mostly just for some suggestions here and there.
I read this as you are working some hybrid AA program using the literature and steps but your own construct, which the Big Book specificaly cites as wrong.

I'm doing great. I'm happy.
Again I question the motives behind this post. It is my opinion based on what I have read that this post is about reassurance from a consensus group with this accoplished and intelligent OP with a degree in Psychology probably knows the answer but if like me unwilling to accept it herself. (assumption and judgement made based on my experience, which I have shared).

It's laughable to walk into a room and have a two month old sober person tell me what I need to be doing
I never knew duration of sobriety provides seniority. I learn much from the newcomer.

But the real concern is that the counselors seem to think it's NOT ok to solely rely on CC as my support. And whenever I've mentioned SR, they stare at me blankly. They just seem to think it's a joke.
This might be a problem with the CC.

Mirage. I have read through many of the responses and I see more sharing, some with opinions, as I have outlined above. I don't see much promotion. The OP is working her own program based loosly on AA's 12 steps from what I gather but this is not part of AA nor endorsed. In fact in my first post I suggested AVRT or some other rational program based on the comments from the OP. That is not promotion.

I am not going to make assumptions about other people's posts. So for me, I try to share my experience as it relates to a question and provide an opinion. I tend to avoid cheerleading as it never helped me personally.

When I have struggled with something its often somethign I am unwilling to acknowledge or admit and I sometimes have been guilty of coming on these boards to support the wrong decision as a way to justify. That's just my experience and what I have tried to share here.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Why when someone's not attracted to AA do so many members resort to promotion, and violate this tradition?
Because members of AA are people. And people don't always do what they are "supposed" to do. This is not a situation inherent to AA - it applies to every religion, political group, social group and society all around the world. Some people want to promote whatever it is they believe/do because it works for them. You cannot control what they believe or what they do, only how you react to it.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I think you know the answers but are looking for approval in this post.
Approval for what exactly? You'll be telling me something I don't know.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

And I guess some people who are commenting didn't read through the whole thread, because I did come to a conclusion about what I'm going to do at CC, btw. And thanks to all who've contributed! Much appreciated. Love the feedback, as always.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
The OP is working her own program based loosly on AA's 12 steps from what I gather but this is not part of AA nor endorsed.

I have to say, this is just wrong. I have read AA's history. I know that the program is always a program of suggestion. And I am doing that program.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Maybe there's a fine line between sharing "ES&H" and promoting the program.
I think there is a fine line, yes. Good point.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
You tend to over-analize everything. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I to over-analize everything. It did cost me a few relapses at first, but I think it made my understanding of recovery stronger in the long run (I learned a lot about what doesn't work).

That being said, I suspect that it was my study of Existentialism and Zen that saved me from fallacious reasoning. They taught me that I could think all I want - so long as I never fully trust my own thinking.

Interesting. Well, since this is technically my 3rd try I guess I've gotten over the relapsing bit, knock on wood. And I studied existentialism years ago when I got a degree in Philosophy (and didn't come away with the message not to trust my own thinking, but to each their own). Yeah, I do analyze things a lot and sometimes "overanalyze"... but I guess that would be someone's opinion, now wouldn't it?
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Jdooner... I'm tempted to respond to all of what you said there. But, I won't. I'll be nice today. It's just not worth it.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Because members of AA are people. And people don't always do what they are "supposed" to do. This is not a situation inherent to AA - it applies to every religion, political group, social group and society all around the world. Some people want to promote whatever it is they believe/do because it works for them. You cannot control what they believe or what they do, only how you react to it.
Not trying to control what others do. Just pointed it out. That's how I reacted.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

And jdooner, I never specifically singled you out, but you did suggest twice now that the OP is wrong and deep down knows the right answer. Which would be the right answer according to you, or AA, or your interpretation of it at least. I don't know if that's attraction or promotion, or neither.

I'm out, shouldn't have even gotten involved. My apologies.