Notices

I'm back!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back!

Hey everyone, I haven't been on the site posting for 10 months or more, just wanted to give everyone an update of how I've been doing, my girlfriend of 3 years started cheating on me, and I fell into a major depression drinking heavily every night for a month. I got to talking to this other girl who I had known for over 5 years, and turned out she had liked me as more than a friend for a long time, so we got together and now I am expecting my first baby boy in Sept! I have toned my drinking down to occasional, but as of late, I've been wanting to drink more, and have caved a few times. My current girlfriend doesn't like when I drink because she can't stand the smell being pregnant, and I understand that. I just bought a 4 br house and we have moved in a week ago. I've never been happier in my life, and I'm ready to kick drinking to the curb!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dean, sounds like you have a lot to be Sober for!!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Dean. Congrats on the upcoming arrival, new house and new girlfriend. Any plans on how you might go about kicking the drink to the curb?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you Dean.

Congrats on all the wonderful changes in your life. It sounds like the perfect time to be done with it and reach out for a healthier life. You'll never regret it. Glad to have you with us again - being here should help.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Dean, and congratulations on the upcoming birth of your son. sounds like this is a great time to stop drinking!!!!!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Dean. Congrats on the upcoming arrival, new house and new girlfriend. Any plans on how you might go about kicking the drink to the curb?
Thanks! I've always quit cold turkey and it's worked just fine for me, although, my only problem is dealing with the cravings, and with a baby coming, I think I will be able to really kick the drinking looking at my child knowing I don't want him growing up around alcohol because I grew up with a father that drank.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dean.
Best of luck with quitting.
Sounds like you have lots of reasons to stay stopped.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hey Dean, congratulations on the arrival I'm sure you will be a great dad, you can beat the bottle with the added motivation of doing it for Dean jnr.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by DeanChev View Post
Thanks! I've always quit cold turkey and it's worked just fine for me, although, my only problem is dealing with the cravings, and with a baby coming, I think I will be able to really kick the drinking looking at my child knowing I don't want him growing up around alcohol because I grew up with a father that drank.
My personal experience has been that you need to want to quit for yourself first and foremost. Having a child or buying a home is not a recovery plan, and in fact those 2 things ( among others ) actually led to increased drinking for me. I'm not suggesting that getting sober for your upcoming arrival is a bad thing, far from it. I am suggesting though that you need to make a plan - whether thats a 12 step/meeting progream, SR, counseling, etc.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great time to get sober, loads to keep you busy and lots of fun that is better enjoyed sober than drunk... you'll quickly realise that newborns and drunken parents dont mix, so think youve got the perfect opportunity to quit now.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

I was drunk as a skunk night after night when i drank. I terrified me tht my wife might go into labor and i'd be too drunk to take her to the hospital. I SOMEHOW got lucky for the first 4 children. The last 2 I had already sobered up. But go figure the terror of being too drunk to be able to take my wife to the hospital in labor or even be there for the birth of my kids didnt motivate me to sober up. I got lucky and happened to be sober for the big moment dunno how that worked out.

Then with little ones at home and when i was suppost to be a responsable parent and such ya know god forbid something went wrong and a kid should need to be rushed somewhere i was drunk instead. Again I got lucky and Again the fear of that happening still never motivated me to sober up.

Point is I hope it motivates you to be sober for the birth of the child and sober as a parent and so on. Its a pretty wise idea. You never know when she might go into labor or when something might go wrong with a child and such and you will need to be nice and sober to handle things.

I got lucky in my case but not everyone gets lucky. Imagine if i drove my wife to labor while drunk being in labor and delivery drunk out of my mind... Or if i had to call 911 to come get her cause i was too drunk! what an embaressment that would have been or what if somehting went wrong with my kids and iw as drunk and had to call 911 over a broken arm or something I coulda lost my kids or worse!.

Thank god i got lucky. But it doesnt always work out that way.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are back daddy to be!

My words of advice drinking, dirty diapers, no sleep, baby sick and booze do not mix well.
Hangovers and a baby that is ready to play at 4am is not a good plan my friend.
Lack of sleep, intense feelings of love for the baby, the long hours can cause a few rows and arguments.
I don't want to paint a blak picture but flipping heck that first six months can be hard.

Its also one of he best times of your life and that first year goes so quick. The first smile, the first time he says daddy, the first steps. Don't miss a moment.

Get yourself strong now in terms of no drinking. Invest all you can in finding coping strategies to not drink now while you have time and freedom on your side.

I wish you the best xx
Old 06-30-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Dean congrats on baby to be and welcome back!!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry happy and WOW, I wish I had when our first born but can't change things now!
You can kick this potential danger straight into touch now and have such a fantastic and memorable time .
Good luck.
John.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have a lot going for you...don't let alcohol blow it for you, just quit completely.