Notices

Full Blown Hallucinations??

Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Full Blown Hallucinations??

Has anyone hallucinated while drinking heavily? How intense and what did you see?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

are you having these during withdrawal...if so it could be the sign of the dt's in which case you would best get to the er
Old 06-29-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I Used to hear things, mainly people poking fun at me. I could here them taking the pi$$, but their lips didn't move. I would get quite upset with them, and they would calm me down. I could tell they were concerned about me by the way they looked at each other.Weird, hard to describe.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
are you having these during withdrawal...if so it could be the sign of the dt's in which case you would best get to the er
No, it just came up in conversation.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by neverever View Post
No, it just came up in conversation.
Hallucinations (seeing or feeling things that are not really there)
Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to hear things - very realistic - people talking, saying my name, radios - none of it was real.

Bottom line is none of us are Drs, so we shouldn't be suggesting diagnoses....
but I think hallucinations need to be investigated, and anyone suffering them needs to see their Dr,

D
Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I had hallucinations while drinking / drugging and while quitting drinking (DT's). Full blown. Both auditory and visual. As well, I had internal psychotic ideations. Its not really importantly relevant what exactly I hallucinated. More important was the persistent break with reality which accompanies such hallucinations. This breakdown can and did have real consequences for me. Some lasted longer than others. We're talking days and hours in some experiences as well as spontaneous flashes which faded quickly. I was a hot mess over many years of my drinking. I have since recovered.

I can say I didn't see nonsense stuff like giant monsters of whatever. It really was like real life scenes re-organized into bizarre scenarios which obliterated my common sense appreciation of my immediate environment. None of my hallucinations were pleasant or entertaining whatsoever.

My final detox wasn't my worst times with DT's. I had a supervised detox. I've stayed quit since (1981) As the months went on in my early sobriety, the hallucinations weakened and eventually passed away. It would seem such hallucinations of these type were alcohol and drug induced is my experience.

Seeking medical expertise is advised for anyone having what they may consider as being an hallucination. These are not experiences / things which are best self-diagnosed, imo.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had audio hallucinations. I kept hearing the radio coming from the fan or the walls. I knew it wasn't real though. It's only DT when you break from reality and can't tell it's not real.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I saw words, sentences, appearing all over the walls ... and a couple of 3-D 'beings' that were drawings (one a man, one a child) that were 'alive' and moving. Interestingly, I remained calm and just watched them, knowing they weren't real. The 3-D people wemt away first, and the words went little by little but took quite awhile to finally fully go - most of the day.