Notices

The Power of Positive Sober Interaction

Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Power of Positive Sober Interaction

I was feeling a bit down this weekend. I was busy packing, cleaning, and preparing for a trip - I didn't have time to get together with anyone and felt a bit isolated, to be honest. Alas, Sundays can be pretty slow, and with not many friends in town my only option was to sit on the couch and watch TV.

Or was it?

At about 4.30 this afternoon I decided I'd go to my local cafe. What the heck. As it turns out they were playing a World Cup game out on the back patio, and I sat down to watch. There was a friendly gal from the neighborhood also watching, and we enjoyed the game and chatted for an hour about travel, culture, food, etc! Now I didn't know this woman when I entered the cafe, but by the time I left we knew each other's names and backgrounds.

Coming home, I was pretty happy with the decision to get out and enjoy the afternoon & get some social interaction. This didn't require big plans, phone calls, or elaborate organization: I simply chose to take a very small, easy step and it produced great results.

For anyone out there who feels like you're suffering alone, please know that there is always an option. It never hurts to try and meet new people. Social situations that don't involve alcohol often seem impossible, but they are easier to find than you know. The more experiences like the one above that you can create, the more solid your foundation will become. At least, that's how it's been working for me!

Hope you all had a great weekend and wishing you all a wonderful week ahead.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing. I love hearing about experiences like this. What a positive story and an example of just changing your perspective.

You could have continued to hang about and feel down but you chose to change your perspective. Look how it turned out. Awesome!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, we can get very easily convinced that there is nothing to do and resign ourselves to being bored, this is far from the truth!!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pura vida
Old 06-29-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good post indeed as life is meant to be lived and not locked away suffering as we can not drink anymore etc

one old timer in aa told me many years ago when i was unhappy and boring and glum being sober, she said if i was you i would go back on the drink again if your going to be that dam well miserable lol
i kiss that women often in aa as that one spark kicked me into looking at myself and how i was always down in the dumps
i had to start to do things in my life that would happy me up : )
we can be as happy today as we make up our minds to be
that was from a just for today card and it really worked to if i worked on it
Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me it's really easy to procrastinate. I find if I just do some tangible thing for 15 minutes or so it really helps. A tangible thing isn't watching TV! It's amazing what I can get done working in small time increments.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cardoon View Post
For me it's really easy to procrastinate. I find if I just do some tangible thing for 15 minutes or so it really helps. A tangible thing isn't watching TV! It's amazing what I can get done working in small time increments.
i to had to learn to do things in small stages rather than have a full day of trying to tackle a job all at once

i would leave things to build up and up till there was so much to do i wouldnt do it unitl i was really in the mood and then i would tire myself out working flat out to get the job done in a hurry

how different it makes it just to stay on top of things and not let them build up : )
i needed a simple routine in my life to do daily things each day
Old 06-30-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you BigS!