Notices

A Small Success!

Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Small Success!

Hey guys,

I wanted to share a small success story with everyone. I am 30 days sober for the first time in 20 years. I have been doing pretty well so far and feel cautiously optimistic about the future....for the first time in ages.

Just went to my first social function since getting sober. Just a small casual dinner with good friends. They drink wine occasionally but aren't heavy drinkers.

I had quite a bit of worry and panic about this dinner. I have been avoiding situations involving alcohol as I don't want to jeopardize my sobriety and so many veterans on the board warn of overconfidence. I really worked myself over about this dinner, lol.

Happy to report all went well and I had a fabulous time. When offered a drink I just said "no thanks" and my friends didn't bat an eye! I couldn't believe it! No one cared! I had an orange before dinner and Pellegrino with dinner and it really didn't bother me.

I truly think much of my panic and worry was my AV trying to torture me and wear me down so I will drink again. I built this up so much in my mind and really tortured myself for several days before. ALL IN MY MIND.

There have been a few threads recently about how to respond when people question us about not drinking so I just wanted to share my experience.

As a side note, it was amazing to be able to enjoy myself, be calm, and participate in the conversation.......things I would not have been able to do in the past. I think I will still try to avoid "alcohol" situations for a while (I would really like to get more time under my belt) but the evening truly wasn't as torturous as I thought it would be.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I really like your perspective and attitude on it. It sounds like you have the right idea. 30 days is not a small success believe me 5 minutes for us is nothing short of a miracle!

coutiously optimisitic and not getting over confident are great weapons against this. I also have to try and keep my stress levels low not bite off more then I can chew not sweat the small stuff and roll with the punches of life etc..
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats! Every small success adds up to a much bigger overall picture. Keep it up, it just keeps gettin' better and better
Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great stuff!!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 30 days Boudicca. I believe that with each successful sober social interaction you will feel yourself more and more comfortable without alcohol.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Each small victory makes us stronger.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love this post! Congratulations!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thirty days! I'm at twelve and you've inspired me! I'm going to Italy with a couple we have enjoyed for years. Not heavy drinkers but no wine in Italy is going to be tough! Good thing I'm starting this journey now!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Boudicca! 30 days after 20 years. Wow you're an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your experience. Kudos, kudos, kudos!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and support, friends! I appreciate it. Just wanted to share my experience and share some positivity!

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J2911 View Post
Thirty days! I'm at twelve and you've inspired me! I'm going to Italy with a couple we have enjoyed for years. Not heavy drinkers but no wine in Italy is going to be tough! Good thing I'm starting this journey now!
Wow, that's awesome. Interestingly enough the couple I shared dinner with have traveled extensively in Italy and were gushing about how wonderful it is. Just think of all the amazing foods and sights you will be able to enjoy.....SOBER! Very jealous and I hope you have a great time.